Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143870 times)

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #615 on: April 18, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Compared to Warhammer custom painted figures these things are crap. Does anyone paint these things with the detail you see in Warhammer figures?

Its just like Hasblo... some pieces have stellar sculpts/paint jobs, some are quite lacking.   I've ordered the new set and am just hoping that that Han get's changed.... I realize it's supposed to be Han charging/running away from the stormtroopers on the Death Star while screaming at the top of his lungs but that piece is UGLY.

"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 19, 2007, 01:39 AM »
Actually, these aren't made by Hasbro.  ;)

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 20, 2007, 12:27 AM »

Yes they are.

WotC is owned by Hasbro.  That's why they have a link to Hasbro.com at the top of their web page.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 20, 2007, 02:31 PM »

Yes they are.

WotC is owned by Hasbro.  That's why they have a link to Hasbro.com at the top of their web page.

HaHa...I new someone else would say that so I waited...thanks, Don. Don's right of course..and don't think for a second Hasblo doesn't have any say in what it's sub companies create or how much they spend doing it(on good paint :P)

The DS

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 21, 2007, 03:07 AM »
Hmm, I didn't realize that.  I always that WOTC was a fully independent company.  I should have known better in this age of corporate buy-outs and mergers.

Offline Squid89

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: April 22, 2007, 09:40 AM »
Compared to Warhammer custom painted figures these things are crap. Does anyone paint these things with the detail you see in Warhammer figures?

For prepainted, most of them are not too bad.  Faces always seem to cause them problems.  I have seen some repainted ones that look incredibly better.  What I've seen of the Alliance-Empire set, the Han is more the exception than the rule - they look pretty darn good.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: June 4, 2007, 04:56 PM »
I don't know....

On the issue of painting quality in WOTC minis, I'd have to say I'm more torn then ever.

I just purchased 5 boxes of these and some like the Boba Fett and Yuzzan Vong look awesome while many others looked poor like the Aurra-Sing and Luke. Even the DST looked horrible as well-despite his poor paint job, he had extra plastic sticking up on his helm that wasn't removed by a sculptor and instead painted over as well--lame ::).

Then again, I saw some that Matt had and they looked decent. Well, since I only have 35 figures, I'll withhold judgement for now. From what I've seen so far, there's a drop in paint quality over the other WOTC SW lines.

DS

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: June 5, 2007, 01:16 PM »
Hmm, I didn't realize that.  I always that WOTC was a fully independent company.  I should have known better in this age of corporate buy-outs and mergers.

WOTC was bought by Hasblo in Sept 1999 around the same time Lucasfilm took away the license from Decipher.   Then we got the "new TCG" and so on and so forth.    :'(

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: June 5, 2007, 01:21 PM »
I am not just 4 Very Rares short of a set for these (yes.. I whine and complain, but.....) and my favorite is by FAR the Landspeeder with Luke and Ben.   The Wampa is also a fantastic sculpt and the storm commando (think biker scout but in black and crouching) is just plain cool.   I also like the new Jabba and Ephant Mon.

Least favorite sculpts:   ALL 3 Han's, Leia (face worse that POTF2!), Mara, and Aurra are just terrible with the face sculpts.

Anyone got any Very Rares for trade?

Oboewan

I don't know....

On the issue of painting quality in WOTC minis, I'd have to say I'm more torn then ever.

I just purchased 5 boxes of these and some like the Boba Fett and Yuzzan Vong look awesome while many others looked poor like the Aurra-Sing and Luke. Even the DST looked horrible as well-despite his poor paint job, he had extra plastic sticking up on his helm that wasn't removed by a sculptor and instead painted over as well--lame ::).

Then again, I saw some that Matt had and they looked decent. Well, since I only have 35 figures, I'll withhold judgement for now. From what I've seen so far, there's a drop in paint quality over the other WOTC SW lines.

DS

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #624 on: June 5, 2007, 01:23 PM »
Noobie question... just regarding my focus...On Darth Maul...

How hard is he to get ?
How many versions of him are there ?

ANy help is appreciated.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 5, 2007, 01:25 PM »
HARD, I think there's 3+ versions

DS

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 5, 2007, 01:27 PM »
Man ...

What is the going EPAY rate ?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: June 5, 2007, 02:07 PM »
I dunno

I know at the time he came out it was like between 20-40$. Things get less over time so you might check it out.

I know I pulled 3 total btween my brother and I. We used our extras for trades at another WOTC website.

DS

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 5, 2007, 02:27 PM »
Thanks. Wish I had asked sooner.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 10, 2007, 02:21 AM »
Got some more Alliance and Empire boosters this week. Got a repulsor sled finally! Seems like a strategic piece for the game, would like to get more. Also picked up a double of Aurra Sing as well.

DS