Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 144421 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #600 on: October 18, 2006, 11:16 AM »
Picked up Talon Karde for the Bounty Hunters set last weekend. Unfortunately, I still need 5 rares/Super Rares still :(. I still need Jango Fett, baby Krayt Dragon, and a few others. I ended up with a ton of extras that my brother is now trading/doing deals with online at other miniature forums. A really nice set overall; I played against my brother 2 weeks ago and I really like the new characters alot. Nym is my favorite--he's a badass--grenades 40 type of badass.
His card is topped off full of attacks, commander effects, special abilities ect ala Boba Fett's and Vaders' cards.

Bounty Hunters             55
Chamions of the Force  56
Universe                        60
ROTS                              60
Rebel storm                    60
Clone Strike                   60
ATAT                                2
ATST pack                        1

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 20, 2006, 12:10 AM »
I really wish this line wasn't as much a collectible focused line but rather just a more easily obtainable line.  I'd love to not only collect and play the game (I'd play old style minis battles though, not the new rules which I find lacking), but to really do something special with building battlefields and everything for the minis like small dioramas. :(  When a mini you want sells for $25 though I just have a hard time justifying it.  I keep up with the line just reading up on it but I just can't collect it.

Thanks for sharing that Jesse.  That is exactly the kind of honest answer from someone who doesn't collect it I was looking for. I felt the same way before I got hooked.  You can pick up minis for a lot less if you wait  and watch the marketplace.    Most minis in the Rebel Storm set are selling for much less than they were two years ago, mostly because the set has remained in print the entire time. 
My mindset has shifted so much so that I now can't bring myself to buy regular Hasbro 3 3/4" figures or vehicles because they now feel  like a total rip off, especially now that it is perfectly clear to me that the whole bottom didn't fallen out of the modern Star Wars collectible after market, there really never was one to begin with.  That might sound weird but it's true.  I just find more value in spending $20 getting a box of 12 to 15 mini's than in spending that same amount and getting two regular figures that I'm going to keep carded.  The real kicker though is that WoTC is owned by Hasbro so I'm still giving Hasbro and Lucasfilm all of money, just on a different line.
Oh well, I've rambled on long enough.  Back to playing with my minis.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Battles?
« Reply #602 on: October 23, 2006, 04:53 PM »
Hey everyone!

So- are you all excited about the "new" game/set coming out?   I've already place a pre-order and can't wait to see more details about them as WOTC releases them.   I'm a littled ticked that the set went from 40 ships to 60 but my guess is that WOTC decided that the potential for a follow on for the prequels might not take so they added 20 prequel ships to the initial set.   

I'm just gonna have to wait and see- I expect to like the game as much, if not more, than the minis game.

And as for Bounty Hunters- I REALLY like the set.  I've always been a bigger fan of the "fringe" characters (esp Aliens) than either the Rebs or Imps and the set definitely feeds the fringe hungry mindset I have.    Anyone have an extra Boba Fett for trade?

Oboewan
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #603 on: October 23, 2006, 11:55 PM »
I'm a bit excited about the Starship Battles game...  We actually broke that news here at JD MONTHS and MONTHS before the other sites even were aware there was a ship-based game on the way...  I had some preliminary details on it at the time but it's really cool now seeing the final product in some form.

I'm probably going to TRY getting the Starship game since the rules seemed so dumbed down that games will go super fast, and also I love the space battling a lot...  Pus it's a separate single line unto itself, so I'm sorta able to get in on the ground floor of it. 

I really also liked seeing the way they opened up the game with not just a random MC ship but giving us a Star Defender from the EU to match the Imperial's mighty Executor Class...  It was cool to see because earlier model MC Cruisers couldn't match it...  It's neat seeing them keeping a rebel counter that really does MATCH the Imperial ship. 

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped to actually get into that game...  Like I said, I can't really justify the regular game, right now anyway, so this'll be something nice to tide me over I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 24, 2006, 10:07 AM »
I'm a bit excited about the Starship Battles game...  We actually broke that news here at JD MONTHS and MONTHS before the other sites even were aware there was a ship-based game on the way...  I had some preliminary details on it at the time but it's really cool now seeing the final product in some form.

I'm probably going to TRY getting the Starship game since the rules seemed so dumbed down that games will go super fast, and also I love the space battling a lot...  Pus it's a separate single line unto itself, so I'm sorta able to get in on the ground floor of it. 

I really also liked seeing the way they opened up the game with not just a random MC ship but giving us a Star Defender from the EU to match the Imperial's mighty Executor Class...  It was cool to see because earlier model MC Cruisers couldn't match it...  It's neat seeing them keeping a rebel counter that really does MATCH the Imperial ship. 

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped to actually get into that game...  Like I said, I can't really justify the regular game, right now anyway, so this'll be something nice to tide me over I think.

Glad you're excited about this Jesse!  I think it'll be cool and different enough from the minis game that I'll enjoy it too.   I read through the online rulebook and it seems simpler in some ways but more complex in others.   Tactics are going to be key.   I wish they'd just stuck to OT ships and kept the set to 40 instead of throwing in Prequel ships.   Probably have all the Jedi Fighters plus ARC-170 and some other Clone Wars stuff.

Oh well.. I'm still burning another hole in the wallet....  my girlfriend is gonna go nuts.. I'll just have to get her hooked on it.

Oboewan

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #605 on: October 24, 2006, 05:33 PM »
Yeah the inclusion of prequal-era stuff is...  disappointing.  I don't like mixing generations of stuff...  Unless it actually is something that carries over like Juggernaughts or whatnot.  I mean I can see a squad of ARC's making it into a Rebel squadron, but I can't see JSF's really mixing in well, or whatever.

They should've really focused on Classic era stuff, including Classic EU, and left the prequals as a future expansion of the game if it sells well.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Starship Battles?
« Reply #606 on: October 25, 2006, 02:06 AM »
    Anyone have an extra Boba Fett for trade?

Oboewan

Yes

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 16, 2006, 04:30 PM »
Amazon has preorders for Starship Battles Starter set at $26.37, Boosterpacks at $13.59. January 22 shipping date.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 22, 2006, 09:24 AM »
Amazon has preorders for Starship Battles Starter set at $26.37, Boosterpacks at $13.59. January 22 shipping date.

Wow.. that's late!  The set releases this Friday- the 24th!  This set looks great!

Oboewan

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #609 on: December 4, 2006, 05:51 AM »
I got to see some of these recently...  I'm mixed. 

The warping really pisses me off...  I loathe plastic minis, plastic pre-painted are even worse, but the way some of the ships turned out just looks horrible and I've heard that straightening them isn't terribly simple either (IE: heating them up isn't always working, they're just really shoddy quality).

The bigger ships sound like there's some real nice ones.  Plus the sculpts are of ships never seen before sometimes...  I'm thinking I may collect just some pieces from the game but not the whole game.

That coupled with some really negative reviews of the gameplay are kind of stealing the wind from my sails here...  The SW Minis line has a lot of ups and downs it seems.  I may go back to just putting this whole game on hold and later picking up what I want in some bulk and ignoring the rest of it.

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 8, 2006, 04:09 PM »
I got to see some of these recently...  I'm mixed. 

The warping really pisses me off...  I loathe plastic minis, plastic pre-painted are even worse, but the way some of the ships turned out just looks horrible and I've heard that straightening them isn't terribly simple either (IE: heating them up isn't always working, they're just really shoddy quality).

The bigger ships sound like there's some real nice ones.  Plus the sculpts are of ships never seen before sometimes...  I'm thinking I may collect just some pieces from the game but not the whole game.

That coupled with some really negative reviews of the gameplay are kind of stealing the wind from my sails here...  The SW Minis line has a lot of ups and downs it seems.  I may go back to just putting this whole game on hold and later picking up what I want in some bulk and ignoring the rest of it.

I hear ya... I pre-orderd 4 cases of this stuff and while I'm mostly please with the ship models, that's about it.  The class 4 starfighters definitely bother me-  and it's really just with the OT ships too- X-Wings, B-wings, TIEs that have the warping issues.. it's like they tried to give the ships turning or action poses and totally muffed it.  The fact that the Map is so plain is also a detractor-  space and planet on one side (Tatooine or Coruscant).
It's neat to have the Wild Kardde, Ventress's ship, the Virago, Grevious' fighter, and others though.. some of them are just awesome.... and some aren't.

While the CMG started as a collectors thing and turned into having a fun playability as well.. this is just gonna be a collection methinks.   I'll play it a few more times with differnt ships just to be sure... but my gut tells me this is going on a shelf somewhere.

Oboewan

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 13, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Palmdale Target Had Starship Battles Starter set for $39.99 and booster packs for $21.99. Yikes!  I was looking forward to this series but with iffy quality, at these prices, I'll be cutting back on these.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Star Wars Miniatures painted badly
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2007, 11:25 AM »
Have you guys seen the latest Alliance and Empire minis? Who the heck paints these things? Four year olds? Why are these things so poorly painted? It looks like some weird mutant anime thing.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2007, 03:06 PM »
I saw that this morning as well.  Yikes, that is pretty bad.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2007, 04:35 PM »
Compared to Warhammer custom painted figures these things are crap. Does anyone paint these things with the detail you see in Warhammer figures?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours