Author Topic: WOTC Star Wars Miniatures  (Read 143869 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Miniatures (RPG & Minis Battles)
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2004, 08:59 PM »
By the way...

If you want to know any more about the game, and who is still playing it avidly, check out this link right here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/swmb/

It's an email list through Yahoo groups dedicated to the game, and with probably the most knowledgeable gamers on the net there willing to assist you with all your questions ranging from basic rules queries to compatible scale items in the modern Star Wars lines like Action Fleet vehicles and characters.

And for a series of links to websites dedicated to the game, check out this link here:

http://www.plansofmice.co.uk/swmb/ewoklink.htm

Some links are dead, some not, but it's worth checking on if you want to get involved, or just are curious what's out there to look at for SWMB.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2004, 02:31 PM »
I thought about buying the figures for these games (but not playing the game itself), just 'cause I thought they looked kinda cool and since I love miniature crap.  But then I realized I didn't have the patience or talent to actually paint them all, so I decided to pass on them.

That's why I'm mildy interested in what's coming for that other game that you and Thomas have been discussing.  If those are similar, but painted, and painted decently - then I might wind up collecting those.  Hopefully we'll get to check them out soon, so I can decide!

So how many of the WEG figures do you have Jesse?  And I assume you've painted them all (and probably re-cast them too)?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2004, 03:09 PM »
I have most of them, and multiples of a lot of the military figures, but I don't have a complete set.

I actually don't know if I'll even bother getting a complete set since my main goal is tabletop gaming, and a lot of the non-military figures just wouldn't be necessary.  You can stick "heroes" in the game, but it's never been of much interest to me to do so.

I have a handful of them painted, but I stopped painting when I decided to start casting them.  I don't have a lot of them cast though because to do so requires a bit of a more complex process than casting most pieces for 3.75" Star Wars figures (due to the minis size), so I've not worked at that for quite a while now.  All in good time though.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2004, 01:05 PM »
I finally saw the LOTR game you were referring to Jesse and I think SW versions of that will be a big hit, they look like Clix without the Clix, they had some at TRU of all places.  Seems like there were unpainted versions as well (sold by a different company) much like these versions...cool stuff, not my cup of 3-3/4" tea but cool stuff

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2004, 04:15 PM »
To me, that LOTR line should've been pimped a LOT more than the Armies of Middle Earth.  I think that company should've been given whatever contract was given to the company making AoME.

They are nice  though, if you're into diorama building or gaming.  A good dual role.

I just happened to get a bunch of new minis in today for Star Wars...  I got:

-Spacetrooper/Zero-G Stormtrooper
-Rebel Officer (Capt. Antilles uniform)
-Rebel Scout
-Rebel Fleet Tropoer (Last one I needed, the 2nd female trooper)
-Probot
-Hoth Footsoldier
-Imperial Stormtrooper (Cold Weather Gear)
-Imp. Naval Trooper with E-Web Cannon
-AT-PT
-Stormskimmer (Imp. Landspeeder thing)

All good stuff...  It cost me $38 for all of that, which is pretty cheap for this hobby since these are out of print.

I'm 99% up to snuff on minis that are army building type of minis now...  I need to now focus on getting the aliens and "hero" figures like the Han's and Luke's and such.  Also the Emperor and the two Royal Guard figures incase I ever wanna do an "Assassination" type of mission.

Cool stuff...  I had a good day today between getting the Jabba's Palace wave and a pile of new (and some rarer) minis.  :)  I'm going into the weekend on a high note!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Clix
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2004, 02:58 PM »
Well it looks like we will be getting a tabletop Star Wars wargame! RS posted images of the first packages for the first set. Very cool, but I fear this will be an expensive hobby...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2004, 03:20 PM »
You Don't Say

Wizards of the Coast Announces Plans for Star Wars CMG

A spokesperson for Wizards of the Coast recently announced that WotC will release a Star Wars Collectible Miniature Game in August of 2004. The first set will include 60 prepainted miniatures of characters from the Classic Trilogy Films.

The SWCMG will be packaged and sold as both a starter set (SRP $19.99) and booster packs (SRP $9.99). The first set will include common, uncommon, rare, and unique figures. Plans for expansion sets have not been detailed, but will be created to follow the initial set. The debut starter set will include everything needed to play the game and randomly packaged figures.

The format of the game is not known at this moment, but it may not be a 'clickable' CMG like Heroclix. Images have not yet been released from WotC. JediDefender.com will update as soon as more is known and images become available.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004 | Thomas Grey

Offline Thomas Grey

• Jedi Padawan
  • What are you laughing at fuzzball?
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2004, 07:49 PM »
Yeah, I do...

But it's probably going to be miniatures for a new RPG and for use congruently with existing RPGs. Pretty sure the 'clix' part will be left out. A little bummed as it looks like Wizkids/WOTC is beginning to get the hang of producing them. The new DC Clix are amazing! The detail in the sculpts and the painting are much higher on the quality scale than any 'Clix' release I have seen. Saw a unique batman with detachable wings and it is the largest clix figure yet and one of the most impressive. The dang thing takes up 2 slots in a 4-pack booster!

I'll keep looking into it and report what I find.
"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
New Star Wars Miniatures (WOTC Game)
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2004, 10:26 AM »
What do you guys think of these upcoming Star Wars miniatures, apparently for a future Wizards of the Coast game.  I've never been much for the card/role playing, etc. games, but the miniatures look kind of cool in a way.  You can check out some preview pictures (courtesy of Gaming Report.com) right here:

Star Wars Gaming Miniatures

GalacticHunter (as well as some of the presentation slides in these pictures) are reporting that some miniatures might be included with Hasbro figures as well.  All I need is to collect something else :P, but they do look kind of spiffy.  Sounds like there will be 60 Original Trilogy-based figures in the first wave, with a 60 figure Prequel-themed wave later in the year.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Star Wars Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Just merged and moved a few topics we have going on some SW Miniatures (both by West End Games and now by WOTC)...continue :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 11:09 AM »
Oops, sorry Scott, I should have looked further first...my bad.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 11:45 AM »
No problem...we had a couple of threads in different sections so ithey weren't easy to find :)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 12:57 PM »
Well, crap.  Looks like one more line I'll be collecting...   :'(

They do look pretty damned cool, and I love me some miniatures!   8)  For anyone familiar with this type of line, are there exclusives and VHTF pieces, or should we all be able to "stay complete" with relative ease on these guys?  Last thing I need is another obseesive collecting headache...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 12:59 PM »
I believe most of these mini lines are like most regular Kubricks...regulars, rares and chase, and its all blind...ordering by the case is probably going to be your best bet

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Sh!t.  Seriously?  Ugh.  So who else will be collecting these then?  We need to get a big trading club going, 'cause I don't want this line to drive me any more insane with collecting than I already am...   :-\