Author Topic: Wax Issues  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
Wax Issues
« on: April 16, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I got my sample of wax from Bantha5 on friday and I got to play with this weekend. I melted the wax using the double boiler method and after 3 tries, I got a near perfect wax cast (Darn Air Bubbles :mad:). I was shocked at first to see that the head was not the same size as the resin copy I made last month.

Now it just so happens that this head accually looks better scaled down than the original. I also have some head sculpts (Bothan small head) that some say could do with some reduction as well. I have no problem with that. I am concern about the heads that I did sculpt to scale and what to do about it. I want to continue to use wax to enhance the details in my sculpts, I should not have to sculpt larger in order to overcome this. Is there anyone who knows of a wax (name and company information) that does not shrink when poured/injected into a mold? I know that Azbro wax has a 4% shrinkage ratio, but I do not know that ratio compared to Bantha5 wax. Did I experience more than 4% or more?

I need your help on this one guys. Thanks.

Jedi_Master_Ben
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 04:06 PM by Jedi_Master_Ben »
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Wax Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 10:42 PM »
I wish I could help.  I think you may need to wait for Bantha or Glassman to comment on this thread and with Glassman's internet issues it may be a little while.  The difference is quite noticable.  I think thats more than 4%.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 10:12 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone who has stopped by and special thanks to Sith_Fire30, Glassman6, and Bantha 5 for helping me through my first wax sculpting experience . I glad to announce I pulled a wax cast at a 1:1 ratio compaired to the original clay model. The key was the method used to melt the wax. I used the "melt the wax in a metal container over a candle" method and it worked like a charm.

I would also like to say something to all those who are thinking about this craft form. It is an expensive process but a very rewarding experience ;D. Do a lot of research, ask tons of questions and don't be afraid to experiment. With every failer comes an oportunity to learn something new.

I wish you all good luck and thanks again for your support.  ;D

Jedi_Master_Ben

"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Hey ben, glad you got the wax straightend out.
Just to follow up on our conversation

This is my "super High Tech" wax melting machine of the future!!!