Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43455 times)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 09:23 AM »
Have they picked up any pitching?  I really haven't been paying attention to them.  If they have the same staff as last year, they might still have some problems.

Offline Clone On Fire

• Youngling
  • Blaze of Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 09:48 AM »
Well, the staff is healthy.  Pavano was the big missing piece last year.  Wang is healthy too:

R. Johnson
M. Mussina
C. Pavano
S. Chacón
C. Wang
J. Wright

The Yankees are going to score a ton of runs this year as well, their batting order looks something like this:

1. Johnny Damon, CF
2. Derek Jeter, SS
3. Alex Rodriguez, 3B
4. Gary Sheffield, RF
5. Hideki Matsui, LF
6. Jason Giambi, 1B
7. Robinson Cano, 2B
8. Jorge Posada, C
9. Bernie Williams, DH
They cannot conquer forever!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 01:39 PM »
Well, the staff is healthy.  Pavano was the big missing piece last year.  Wang is healthy too:

R. Johnson
M. Mussina
C. Pavano

If those three guys can stay healthy, the Yankees staff looks pretty good, especially if the offense gives them a ton of runs to work with.

Should be interesting to see how things shake out this year.  I don't have a lot of confidence in my Twins since they didn't do very much to shake up the line-up (although the new infield is looking pretty good), but I think they will do OK if they get the offense rolling.

Chicago Chi-Sox will need to have another strong start or they could find the Tribe and the Twins chasing them much harder this year than thye did last year...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 08:48 PM »
So Sammy Sosa will probably retire.  I used to like the guy until the corked bat incident and the enhancement issue.  What a shame.

Being a Cub fan I still can't believe how far he fell from grace so quickly.  He must have really been relying on the roids and corked bat.  Oh well. 

Offline Ithorian Clergy

• Jedi Initiate
  • Straight up rocket scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 02:54 PM »
Ah yes, Spring Training in San Diego, watch as the promise of another stellar year unfolds...

If you vote for me all of your wildest dreams will come true.  Thank you.

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 1, 2006, 09:42 AM »
I am excited that the Twins will be on TV Thursday night.  I know it's just Spring Training baseball, but it's better than no baseball.   ;D

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 3, 2006, 12:53 PM »
WTF?!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 02:42 PM »
Well, it's that time of year again...

Jeff's Picks for 2006:

AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Chicago
AL West - Oakland
Wild Card - Toronto

I think Damon will put the Yankess back on top of the Red Sox, and I think his loss will hurt the Red Sox much more than they thought.  All the moves that the Jays have made will let them slip by the RedSox and into the Wild Card.  Might even win the East if the Yankees experience a pitching break-down. It breaks my heart not to pick my Twins, but they just didn't add enough offense this winter while Chicago seems to have improved even more.

NL East - Atlanta
NL Central - St. Louis
NL West - San Diego
Wild Card - Mets

After 14 wins in a row, I can't pick against Atlanta.  If they manage to implode somehow (finally), then the Mets will sneak past them.  The NL West was probably the toughest to pick.  If Bonds was a 100% lock to stay healthy, I might pick the Giants, but since he doesn't seem to be healthy yet, I'll stay with the Padres (though their pitching may haunt me on that one).

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 02:57 PM »
Well, it's that time of year again...

Jeff's Picks for 2006:

AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Chicago
AL West - Oakland
Wild Card - Toronto

I think Damon will put the Yankess back on top of the Red Sox, and I think his loss will hurt the Red Sox much more than they thought.  All the moves that the Jays have made will let them slip by the RedSox and into the Wild Card.  Might even win the East if the Yankees experience a pitching break-down.

No chance in hell the Blue Jays are getting by the Red Sox.  The Jays starting rotation is solid with Halladay at #1, and Burnett who is very overrated at #2, and then after that drops off to Ted Lilly or Gustavo Chacin at #3.  The Jays don't have a fraction of the offense or pitching to come close to challenging the Yankees or the Red Sox, and will not win more than 85 games.  Where is this offense coming from, Vernon Wells?  Cuz that's about it.  Troy Glaus will be lucky to not fracture his vagina like he usually does, and the addition of Lyle Overbay is not going to challenge Gary Sheffield, Alex Rodriguez, Hideki Matsui, Derek Jeter, and Johnny Damon.  The Jays are a glorified .500 team.  Sorry Jeff, but that is a crazy prediction man.  Absolutely no chance.

AL East - Yankees
AL Central - Chicago
AL West - Anaheim
Wild Card - Red Sox

NL East - Braves
NL Central - St. Louis
NL West  - Dodgers
NL Wild Card - Mets

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 03:00 PM »

I think Damon will put the Yankess back on top of the Red Sox

Back on top?  They Yankees haven't finished lower than them.  Can't be put back on top of someone you've always been on top of. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Re: Toronto

I think they have a few surprises in store this year.  Maybe you're right and they won't make it anywhere, but what fun is it to just pick the Yankees and the Red Sox every year anyway?  That's like picking all the #1s in the Final Four - boooooring.   Everyone likes to pick a Cinderella team every now and again...  ;)

Back on top? They Yankees haven't finished lower than them. Can't be put back on top of someone you've always been on top of.

I guess that is a point on which we'll have to disagree as I do not think the Yankees were on top of the Red Sox last year. 

Both teams finished the 2005 season with basically the same record (and basically a .500 record against each other) and neither advanced any farther than the other in the playoffs.  In my mind, that makes them pretty equal. 

So, what I meant was instead of being pretty much equal teams again this year as they were last year, the Yankees will be back on top of the Red Sox.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Re: Toronto

I think they have a few surprises in store this year.  Maybe you're right and they won't make it anywhere, but what fun is it to just pick the Yankees and the Red Sox every year anyway?  That's like picking all the #1s in the Final Four - boooooring.   Everyone likes to pick a Cinderella team every now and again...  ;)

Back on top? They Yankees haven't finished lower than them. Can't be put back on top of someone you've always been on top of.

I guess that is a point on which we'll have to disagree as I do not think the Yankees were on top of the Red Sox last year. 

Both teams finished the 2005 season with basically the same record (and basically a .500 record against each other) and neither advanced any farther than the other in the playoffs.  In my mind, that makes them pretty equal. 

So, what I meant was instead of being pretty much equal teams again this year as they were last year, the Yankees will be back on top of the Red Sox.

Well, let's not overlook the fact that the Yankees were the American League East Champions, and the Red Sox were the Wild Card.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2006, 09:48 AM »
NL East - Hotlanta
NL Central - Chicago Cubs :o
NL West - Trollydodgers