Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43253 times)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #75 on: June 2, 2006, 11:36 PM »
4)  Have there been more injuries this year, or is it just that there is a god and he hates my fantasy baseball team?  I lost Derrick Lee and Contreras earlier, not to mention (literally) a good 8-10 other players.  Now Kent goes down.  It just seems there are a lot of people getting hurt, particularly big-name players.

That's because they all had to quit taking their steroids!   :P :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #76 on: June 3, 2006, 07:53 PM »
So what do you think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ifyoubuildthemmoneywillc&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Todd Jones - future award-winning sportswriter?

John

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 3, 2006, 08:37 PM »
So what do you think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ifyoubuildthemmoneywillc&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Todd Jones - future award-winning sportswriter?

John

Well, in this case, it may be better to "quit the day job" with that ERA of 6.00 and WHIP of 1.50 as a closer  ;)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2006, 10:29 AM »
Man.

Just when I start getting excited about my squad again (they rolled off 8 wins in a row this week to get back to .500), I look up the standings in our division and see this happening...

White Sox 8, Texas 4
White Sox 12, Cincinatti 4
White Sox 8, Cincinatti 6
White Sox 8, Cincinatti 1
White Sox 20, St. Louis 6
White Sox 13, St. Louis 5

6 wins in a row, with an average of 11.5 runs a game over that span... and they're not even leading the division!

Not looking good for my squad at all...  :-\

I am planning on plopping myself in front of the TV tonight for Liriano V. Clemens though... should be a pretty interesting match-up, Young Gun V. Old Legend.   ;D

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02 PM »
I am planning on plopping myself in front of the TV tonight for Liriano V. Clemens though... should be a pretty interesting match-up, Young Gun V. Old Legend.   ;D

Great Game!

Clemens looked pretty good... but Liriano looked even better.   :D

- Clemens threw a ton of pitches, 100 (59 strikes) in his 5 innings
- Liriano threw about the same number, 97 (72 strikes) in 8 innings

The Santana (7-4, 2.87 ERA) and Liriano (7-1, 2.17 ERA) duo is looking like a beautiful 1-2 punch.   :)

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2006, 03:58 PM »
The Twins are an astounding 15-1 over their last 16 games... I wish we could play the National League teams every week!  ;)

Still, this is just getting irritating...  even though we rolled off another win today, we're still 11 games out of first place!

AL Central
54-25   Detroit
50-26   Chicago
42-35   Minnesota

Last 20 Games:
17-3   Detroit
16-4   Chicago
17-3   Minnesota

Incredible!  I long for the days our division sucked...  :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2006, 04:08 PM »
I'd say the Twinkies are a big bat (Soriano, Abreu or the like) away from taking that division over.

Santana/Liriano could be the best 1-2 in baseball, though there are other good ones:

Halladay/Burnett
Oswalt/Clemens
Zito/Harden
Sheets/Capuano
Zambrano/Prior

But with all the injuries I think Santana/Liriano has a hammerock on the "Best 1-2" Title right now.  And in the postseason, that wins championships.  (See Schilling/Johnson Diamondbacks)

They need a bat.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Maybe the Twins could make another steal trade with the Giants for a bat. Heck, they only had to dispose of Pierzynski to get Nathan, Liriano and Bonser (an all-star closer and two-fifths of their rotation). That trade still stings.

However, the Giants really don't have a bat worth taking...or on Geritol.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2006, 06:20 PM »
The Twinkies got themselves in an early hole and the Tigers and Sox were playing great from the start so it's gonna take a serious run to get into 1st place.  I don't see it happening.  They have to hope one of those 2 teams cools off big time and aim for the wild card.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2006, 07:14 PM »
The Twinkies got themselves in an early hole and the Tigers and Sox were playing great from the start so it's gonna take a serious run to get into 1st place.  I don't see it happening.  They have to hope one of those 2 teams cools off big time and aim for the wild card.

Last season the White Sox had a 16 game lead on the Indians at the break and the Indians trimmed it to 1 game in September, and finally didn't make the playoffs with about 93 wins.  So that Sox team did cool off mightily and struggled all September long.

The Tigers, well, I think they'll cool a little bit as well.  I don't know if Kenny Rogers is going to lead that team to a division title.  I guess we'll see.  The only thing stopping me from saying that they are like last season's Nationals is that their pitching staff is very good.  Young, but good.

I don't know if the Twins are gonna get a bat, but if they do, look out.  That duo in the rotation with Nathan nailing down the ninth, they're formidable.

But they need a slugger.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Oh you're totally right that anything is possible and last year's Indians nearly proved that, but it requires the Twins to stay hot and one of 2 teams to basically fall on their ass so the odds are against the Twinkies.  Getting a big bat will help, assuming a deal is out there. 

I'm just amazed out how wide open the field is this year because there is no 1 dominant team.  It's anyone's trophy at this point.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2006, 10:56 PM »
I don't know about Abreu, but Soriano is definitely going somewhere by the deadline, as the Nationals are not resigning him and need to get something for him in mid-July before he just walks away from the team 2 months later.  And they can get a lot for him.

I'd say just about any team in a pennant race would want him, but I think the Yankees in particular have a nice shot at getting him back, especially with Sheff and Godzilla out.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2006, 09:35 AM »
All the sports-talk-radio wanks around these parts seem to be stuck on a "Torii Hunter and Kyle Lohse for Soriano" rumor that popped up earlier this week (or maybe last week).

That rumor just won't die around these parts.  I find the deal hard to believe as it stands now, but I guess if they added a few more bodies, it might work out...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2006, 09:40 AM »
All the sports-talk-radio wanks around these parts seem to be stuck on a "Torii Hunter and Kyle Lohse for Soriano" rumor that popped up earlier this week (or maybe last week).

That rumor just won't die around these parts.  I find the deal hard to believe as it stands now, but I guess if they added a few more bodies, it might work out...

As long as Soriano would sign with them for a multi-year deal, they ought to pull the trigger on that.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 4, 2006, 11:26 PM »
Anyone else here sick to death of Jose Canseco opening his stupid mouth?  He was a childhood hero of mine when I was 10 years old and in Little League, and now I can't stand his backstabbing ass and took both of his autographed pictures off my wall.

Why he did that to his peers, I cannot understand.  Especially since it appears he did it for money.

::)