Author Topic: MLB 2006  (Read 43383 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: MLB 2006
« Reply #120 on: September 13, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Not much in the way of reports, but my guess is the kid was lying to the Twins again saying he's better than he really was.  Heart's in the right place but not so much his brain.  I know he's just trying to help, but let it heal kid. 

Even if it's not bad, my guess is unless they go deep in the playoffs he's done for the year :'(  And he might be done for the year regardless, depending on how bad it was.  Yahoo is reporting he threw a really low pitch and slumped over on the mound clutching his arm.  Buh-bye. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #121 on: September 13, 2006, 06:26 PM »
From what I've read he's done for the year and may be headed to Tommy John land...and the Yankees breath a sigh of relief >:(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00 AM »
Where's Colman? 

I thought for sure he would have posted in here yesterday, to tell us about the amazing Dodgers comeback against the Padres the other night, with back-to-back-to-back-to-back homers in the bottom of the ninth to tie it up, and then the come-from-behind, winning home-run from No-mah in extra innings. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2006, 11:10 AM »
Where's Colman? 

I thought for sure he would have posted in here yesterday, to tell us about the amazing Dodgers comeback against the Padres the other night, with back-to-back-to-back-to-back homers in the bottom of the ninth to tie it up, and then the come-from-behind, winning home-run from No-mah in extra innings. . .

JediMAC doesn't bother with that anymore, because he fears my responses.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2006, 11:39 AM »
That and today he knows it would have been too late to post it since they turned right around and gave up the division lead again to the Padres last nite ::)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2006, 11:44 AM »
That and today he knows it would have been too late to post it since they turned right around and gave up the division lead again to the Padres last nite ::)

If the Mets didn't just roll through whoever makes the NL playoffs anyhow, and get to the World Series (against the Yankees), I'd be pretty surprised.

The Padres got totally rump wrangled in the first round last year, and I'd expect more of the same would happen when the Dodgers or Padres, whoever it is, runs into the Mets this year.

The playoffs have Yankees/Mets Part II written all over it this year.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2006, 11:56 AM »
I generally agree although I wouldn't be suprised if either team blew it and didn't make it to the series either. I don't think the national league west team will suprise anyone.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2006, 12:20 PM »
The playoffs have Yankees/Mets Part II written all over it this year.

If Liriano would have stayed healthy, I might have to disagree with you on that,

As it stands now, I'd really like to see the Twins manage to win the Central so we can play Oakland instead of NY in the first round.  That way, Mauer/Morneau and the rest of the guys who haven't been to the playoffs would get thier playoff jitters out of the way in Oakland before having to roll into Yankee stadium and face that kind of atmosphere.

Santana/Silva/Garza/Bonser can beat Oakland in a 5 games series, but going against the Yankees with our current pitching mess would be... well, worrysome.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2006, 01:04 PM »

Santana/Silva/Garza/Bonser can beat Oakland in a 5 games series, but going against the Yankees with our current pitching mess would be... well, worrysome.   :-\

Mmmmm not convinced.  Harden is back tomorrow.  Rich Harden, Danny Haren, Joe Blanton is every bit as good as Santana, Silva, Garza, if not better.  If Liriano was in, and Radke, I'd agree with you.  It's likely a 3 man rotation in round 1.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Well, at least Santana won't have to pitch to Ortiz in the playoffs...he should be relieved about it :P

That was a crushed ball last nite.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #130 on: September 26, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Congrats to the Twins fans in the audience.  What fun it is to be a Royals fan and watch two opposing teams clinch playoff berths on consecutive nights.  :)  While I'm bummed the White Sox didn't make it, it is nice to see the Tigers make such a turn from two years ago and to see the Twins' resurgence from their early record.  At this point I'm rooting for the Twins and Cards in the World Series (though no one knows what the hell is going to happen in the NL yet).

John

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Well, at least Santana won't have to pitch to Ortiz in the playoffs...he should be relieved about it :P

Yeah instead it'll be this

1.  Damon, CF
2.  Jeter, SS
3.  Giambi, DH
4.  A Rod, 3B
5.  Sheffield, 1B
6.  Matsui, LF
7.  Abreu, RF
8.  Cano, 2B
9.  Posada, C

And they've beaten his ass before  :)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:06 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #132 on: September 26, 2006, 01:33 PM »
And they've beaten his ass before :)

Which is why I'm still holding out hope for a Detroit stumble that allows us to win the AL Central.  I said it before, but hosting the As in the first round sounds a lot better to me than heading to Yankee Stadium to kick things off. 

I'd much rather all of our young guys got their first playoff experience in the friendly confines of the Dome rather then Yankee Stadium.  Plus, I still think some combination of Santana/Bonser/Silva/Garza can beat Oakland (especially with our Dome field advantage). 

Versus the Yankees though?  Even if you forget Santana for a minute (I have faith in him), that Yankee line-up (with lots of playoff experience) could be a lot of trouble for our playoff virgin/rookie pitchers like Bonser or Baker or Garza.

Eh, anyway you look at it, it's nice to just have my squad back in the playoffs especially after the slow start and all the pitching staff injuries they've had to weather this year.  (And, to a lesser extent, it's nice to see the White Sox out of it :P)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 26, 2006, 02:31 PM »
Here's what we got in Round 1, 5 game sets:

AL East Champion New York Yankees vs. Wild Card Tigers or Twins

AL West Champion Oakland Athletics vs. Tigers or Twins

NL East Champion New York Mets vs. Wild Card Phillies, Padres or Dodgers

NL Central Champion St. Louis Cardinals or Houston Astros vs. Padres or Dodgers
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 02:32 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2006, 03:13 PM »
Here's what we got in Round 1, 5 game sets:

AL East Champion New York Yankees vs. Wild Card Tigers or Twins

AL West Champion Oakland Athletics vs. Tigers or Twins

NL East Champion New York Mets vs. Wild Card Phillies, Padres or Dodgers

NL Central Champion St. Louis Cardinals or Houston Astros vs. Padres or Dodgers

The Phillies, if they win the WC, won't play the Mets.  Even if it's best team vs. worst team (which will probably be the case), WC winners don't play division rivals in the first round.
Common sense isn't so common