Author Topic: Possible VTSC Wave 2?  (Read 30163 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Possible VTSC Wave 2?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2006, 01:18 PM »
I still want some POTF with Coin issued cardbacks ??? 

I thought a POTF line would of given us a shot at a Luke Stormtrooper reissue and the Luke Endor reissue everyone has wanted.  But with a rumored Luke w/Poncho part of the SAGA line I guess that is not happening. 

Hopefully a POTF series would look something like this:

Luke Storm
Barada
Anakin
Imp Dignitary
Yak Face

I can dream I guess

A Luke stormie makes perfect sense for both parties.  Hasbro already has the tools (minus the Luke head) and we're dying for a revamped version of Luke in this form.

Last one was the preposed Trash compactor version (with no helmet).

SilverZ

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2006, 01:27 PM »
I really like that list. Those are some of my favorite vintage figures.

Bespin Luke is another all-time favorite of mine, right up there with X-Wing Luke. If they can one-up the Dagobah Luke head sculpt and keep the neck post the same size so those existing heads can be popped on and off it would be great.

A Jawa with electronic eyes and soft goods would be perfectly acceptable at the price point. That feels right. I'd build a small army of them, which I haven't done with any of the other Jawa incarnations.

I have distinct memories of buying and really liking the vintage Endor Leia.  I loved the removable helmet and poncho as a kid for some reason. If this list is true and Endor Leia is in the assortment, it's another reason that an updated speederbike is in dire need of release.

Bring on the Snowtrooper. If they hit it as close to the mark as the Biker Scout...  8)

Regarding the Vader, what I really hope to happen is that they are indeed rereleasing the existing figure, and we'll actually see it on the ROTJ or ANH card. I'm ok with logo swaps and getting popular figures from the line back onto shelves. If it can be done in a creative way that stays true to the vintage release pattern I'd be happy.  Stormtroopers need a rerelease. I'd even be cool with them taking the EB Kit Chewie and putting him on an ANH card. If we had two waves a year with popular figures reshipped in a vintage-esque way I'd be totally cool with assortments of 4 new/1 re-release.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 01:34 PM »
As Rob alluded to, a re-release of the VOTC stormtrooper on a SW cardback would make sense for both collectors and army builders.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 01:47 PM »
As Rob alluded to, a re-release of the VOTC stormtrooper on a SW cardback would make sense for both collectors and army builders.

Yes. I could not agree more. It's always bugged me that the the VOTC Stormie was on a plain-jane ROTJ card when it's original incarnation was on the 12-back.

I still think they need to do a Death Squad Commander...regardless if it's movie-accurate.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 02:01 PM »
I still want some POTF with Coin issued cardbacks ??? 

I thought a POTF line would of given us a shot at a Luke Stormtrooper reissue and the Luke Endor reissue everyone has wanted.  But with a rumored Luke w/Poncho part of the SAGA line I guess that is not happening. 

Hopefully a POTF series would look something like this:

Luke Storm
Barada
Anakin
Imp Dignitary
Yak Face

A $10+ VOTC/VTSC Imperial Dignitary?  I'd like to see that one redone too, but only in the basic line. 

And I'd love to see a new Anakin done up like the OTC Spirit Ben, but I don't know how in the world they'd be able to do it on a vintage-style card, thanks to Lucas' tinkering with Sebastian/Hayden.

I've always been under the impression that the coins were a potential roadblock in a retro POTF wave.  But I've always liked that logo and those cardbacks, and I think it would be great if they could redo them.  I think part of the problem, besides the coins, is that a lot of the POTF figures either don't need updating, or would be particularly lame as $10+ retro releases.  So what I'd do, is mix up a POTF wave or two with both POTF figures, and older figures that were on POTF cards.  Something like this:

Luke Stormtrooper
The Emperor
Gamorrean Guard
Leia Poncho
Barada
Luke Poncho (make it the be-all, end-all, Endor and Death Star II version)
Han Carbonite (still haven't gotten a perfect version, in my opinion)

Still needs a good Imperial army-builder, though--which is kind of tough, as some of them weren't released on POTF cards, and the ones that were have already been redone recently (Stormtrooper, AT-AT Driver, Biker Scout).  That leaves the AT-ST Driver, which is a character design that's never done a whole lot for me.  But I don't particularly like the idea of $10+ army-builders to begin with, though, so **** it.

In that case, why not a list of already released Modern Vintage figures that weren't on their original Cardback, including all four of the wave 1 ROTJ figures:

Chewbacca
Artoo
Boba Fett
Darth Vader
Threepio
Stormtrooper

Yeah, I see what you mean--I just really don't care about simple logo changes when it comes to retro vintage figures, that's all.  That said, I could really go for Chewbacca (with the Early Bird headsculpt) and Artoo on Star Wars cards, as I've never cared for the later photos they went with for the VOTC versions.  I guess photos are more important to me than logos--unless we're talking about POTF, which is kind of it's own thing, in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:03 PM by MWB »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2006, 02:09 PM »
As far as a POTF Dignitary for $10.  We're willing to pay that much for a Jawa which has half the material.  I would have no problem shelling out $10 for a Sim Dignitary with soft goods.  I would pay just for the nostalgic part of it.

I have to agree with people that I was bummed out the first time around with the release of 3PO, R2, Chewie, Vader, Fett and  Stormtrooper all on either ESB or Jedi Cards.  They should of all been released on there initial cardbacks.  If additional cardbacks are the future of repacking the VOTC line I have no problem.  Would love a Fett on the Desert Scene card from ROTJ.

Also, does anyone else think there is a realistic chance that Hasbro will eventually start to put unmade Vintage figs on these cards such as Han Stormtrooper? Or Prequel figures like Qui-Gon.  I would love for this to happen.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 02:13 PM by Jim »

Offline JediShawn

• Youngling
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2006, 02:13 PM »
Also, what is the realistic chance that Hasbro will to eventually start to put unmade Vintage figs on these cards such as Han Stormtrooper? Or Prequel figures like Qui-Gon.  I would love for this to happen.

What is with you people and wanting to put Prequel characters on "Vintage" style cards? As I have said many times, to keep with the intent of this line, any Prequel figures given the "Vintage" treatment should be placed on their original cardback, be it Episode One, Power of the Jedi, or Saga. Why anyone would want to insult the original Vintage line and make Prequel characters on those Vintage cardbacks is something I do not understand.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 06:25 PM by JediShawn »
"Look, a few minutes ago you said you didn't want to just wait here and be captured, now all you want to do is stay?"
"Marching into the detention area is not what I had in mind!"

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Sounds pretty good to me, although my expectations for both the Snowtrooper and the jawa are going to be so skyhigh as not to be realistic.  And I think they should change up the cards if they're going to rerelease figures.  Vader on a SW or ROTJ card, Stormtrooper ditto, etc.

A POTF series might even be a sneaky way of getting some PT figs in there.  Think about it...  :)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Also, what is the realistic chance that Hasbro will to eventually start to put unmade Vintage figs on these cards such as Han Stormtrooper? Or Prequel figures like Qui-Gon.  I would love for this to happen.

What is with you people and wanting to put Prequel characters on "Vintage" style cards? As I have said many times, to keep with the intent of this line, any Prequel figures given the "Vintage" treatment should be placed on their original cardback, be it Episode One, Power of the Jedi, or Saga. Why anyone would want to completely piss on the original Vintage line and make Prequel characters on those Vintage cardbacks is quite beyond me.

Well unfortuneately SW is a 6 part SAGA and not 3.  And the cardbacks would make all the movies flow together in a nice uniform collection.  My response to anyone who is against the idea is dont buy them.  Heck I did not care for most of the PT but I still want my SA Qui-Gon.  

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Hmmm... pretty cool if this all holds true.  I agree with those that said another Stormtrooper would be good.  Though I'd rather see it on a regualr $5-$6 pricepoint.

:)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 02:36 PM »
As far as a POTF Dignitary for $10.  We're willing to pay that much for a Jawa which has half the material.  I would have no problem shelling out $10 for a Sim Dignitary with soft goods.  I would pay just for the nostalgic part of it.

They might be smaller, but I find Jawas substantially more interesting as characters and figures than the Dignitary, though.  The Jawa was one of the first twelve, and just for that alone is already pretty iconic as far as figures go.  Plus, there's the whole vinyl/cloth cape thing--and how wild would it be if Hasbro were to include both with a new Jawa (fat chance, I know)?  It'd be like the Blue Snaggletooth they did a couple years ago--a nice little nod to their history.

The Dignitary, on the other hand, was one of the dullest characters of the vintage line, though, in my opinion.  I don't even know if I remember where exactly he is in the film.  I wouldn't mind seeing a new one, if only to knock him off the "vintage figures that haven't been redone" list, and he's actually on my Top Ten Jedi want list, even.  But the dignitaries they did a couple years ago sat on the pegs for months, and they were only $5 basic figures.  I can't imagine how big a pegwarmer a new one would be for double that price.  In all my years of collecting this line, never once have I ever even thought about wanting a super-articulated Imperial Dignitary figure.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 03:59 PM »
A $10+ VOTC/VTSC Imperial Dignitary?  I'd like to see that one redone too, but only in the basic line. 

In a heartbeat!  Imagine a posable dignitary with a realistic looking sculpt under a (not too puffy) purple robe with a removable hat.  Then put him on retro packaging and throw in a collector's coin and I'd drop $10.00 without thinking twice.

It would be ******* awesome. 

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 04:48 PM »
Well, now that you put it that way, I might change my mind about the whole deal.  Besides, then I could finally make my custom Perry Farrell figure that I've always wanted. . .

Separated at birth, Star Wars-style?

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 04:55 PM »
I'll pass on the SA Snowie 'since I already have the TSC version... But SA Jawa! I'm sold!

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 04:59 PM »
I have my fingers cross on the SA Snowtrooper and Jawa if made I am sold on them. I have been waiting for a SA Snowtrooper forever. That Vader (ESB) could be the Evolutions Vader on a ROTJ card. ;) just guessing and maybe they should repack EB Chewie on the SW card and Stormtrooper on the SW card. ;D