Author Topic: Possible VTSC Wave 2?  (Read 30308 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Possible VTSC Wave 2?
« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Since I'm a stunch anti-supporter of PT figures on Vinatge cards, I would, by defult, have to throw my support against anything other than the original 96 characters apearing on vintage cards. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2006, 09:55 AM »
It's a cool list.  But I agree that the Vader is a real head scratcher.  To me it seems like Hasbro screwed up in the VOTC line by putting that Vader in the TESB series.  Let me explain.

I can legitimately see issuing two and only two different VOTC or VTSC Darth Vader's.  Careful observers of the Vader costume will note that in ANH Vader wears part of his cloak over his shoulder armor.  In TESB and ROTJ Vader wears that same cloak piece under the shoulder armor.  The version we got in the VOTC line was on a TESB card with Vader in the TESB style costume.  Issuing a newly sculpted VTSC Vader on an ANH card would make much more sense.

The rest of the list looks cool.  Here's hoping the execution on the Jawa will be good.  Also hoping for some good softgoods on the Snowtrooper.  ESPECIALLY since I just saw the costume on Saturday at the Boston Museum of Science.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 24, 2006, 10:31 AM »
Since I'm a stunch anti-supporter of PT figures on Vinatge cards, I would, by defult, have to throw my support against anything other than the original 96 characters apearing on vintage cards. :P

Have I mentioned that I feel the same way about non-vintage figures going onto vintage cardbacks - that I think it would ruin an otherwise amazing line of products?   ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 24, 2006, 10:37 AM »
That sounds about right, Scott.  I definitely think there's a limit as to how obscure you can get at $10.  And as relatively limited as the potential for this line is (ongoing), that's why I think (as I've stated before) Hasbro might be willing to drift into pseudo-vintage territory (OT figs never made in the vintage days, PT characters).

I agree with Scott's list as well.  That is something I've often thought about with these "vintage" lines.  Aside from the price, I really enjoy these lines - probably some of my favorite of the Star Wars collecting areas.  I remember hearing at one time there was a rumor that Hasbro wanted to "redo the entire vintage line in this fashion" - sort of making it sound like they would all see the VOTC/VTSC treatment.  Then I didn't know how much sense that would make with so many nice figures available in the basic line from time to time - like the ones that Scott mentioned.  There really isn't much that could be improved on figures such as Lobot, Hammerhead, R5-D4, FX-7, AT-AT Driver, Chief Chirpa, etc. that have been released in the past couple years or this year in the basic figure line.  I think the three waves Scott mentioned would make the most sense.  We can get "ultimate" versions of all the main characters, the main army builders, and leave things like background Cantina aliens or Jabba's palace stuff to be covered in the basic line as resculpted figures.  We've seen how much they can be improved upon at this point, and it seems that if things were spread between the "vintage" line and the standard/basic line, we could get all the original vintage figures covered in pretty good form.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #94 on: April 24, 2006, 12:50 PM »
With the quality put into these figures, we have seen a decline in the basic figure assortments that just should not be. If you've read any of Jesse's reviews, you'll note how things like articulation and detail have been reduced in the TSC 2006 (compared to ROTS 2005) at the $6 pricepoint, however they're available at the $10-$12 pricepoint when these "vintage" figures could easily be placed in the TSC line.

It costs a lot more to manufacture a toy with 18 joints than it does a toy with 5 joints.  Add rising oil costs (oil is used not only for distribution but to make plastic) and give it the spiffy collector's packaging, and $10.00 honestly isn't unreasonable.

Losing the spiffy packaging which really is only a selling point to carded collectors and noting that oil costs have already been added in terms of the increase in price in the basic line (from $4.99 to as much as $6.99) and all that is left is the cost of manufacturing the toy. While it does cost more to manufacture a toy with added joints, it hasn't prevented Hasbro from doing so in the basic line, they're just not doing so wisely. A case in point would be Sora Bulq who has 14 pts of articulation, which is just perfect for a figure in the basic line, where they went wrong is they put the added leg articulation at the ankles and not the knees where they would have been some help.

Hasbro has shown they can do a well articulated and detailed figure in the basic line, they know they just don't always need to based on what we have shown them. I think the continuation of the "vintage" line would be easier to swallow if we knew that the figures would later be re-released in the basic line. So far we have had good signs, R2-D2 and Vader re-decoed into the basic line, but then we get stuff like Boba Fett's legs being re-used on an older Fett and the exclusive Stormies when we need Stormies in the basic line.

Ideally, I'd like to see that the "vintage" line as is be an exclusive to one store, say Target, for those who really want the cards. As an exclusive it would be a limited release for a certain amount of time, then afterwards each figure in the line would be thrown into the basic line for those of us who could live without the special packaging. It would be nice if Hasbro would do that, not only would it acknowledge that they are looking out for collectors, it would also benefit the kids they're trying to market to as well since parents are not likely to  buy the $12 figures.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Losing the spiffy packaging which really is only a selling point to carded collectors and noting that oil costs have already been added in terms of the increase in price in the basic line (from $4.99 to as much as $6.99) and all that is left is the cost of manufacturing the toy.

I didn't realize the current oil costs were a reason for higher figure prices. Is that why target's prices are higher initially then WM's(ex: basic price diff. 1st 2.5 months of 06 and price difference of current VTSC...2005 similar start of year, 2004 ..ect)? What Target doesn't get an 'oil cutback' to keep fig prices down? ;)

RETAIL SETS THE FEE

OKAY, where were these oil prices added..I want to see this.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2006, 07:53 PM »
Losing the spiffy packaging which really is only a selling point to carded collectors and noting that oil costs have already been added in terms of the increase in price in the basic line (from $4.99 to as much as $6.99) and all that is left is the cost of manufacturing the toy.

I didn't realize the current oil costs were a reason for higher figure prices. Is that why target's prices are higher initially then WM's(ex: basic price diff. 1st 2.5 months of 06 and price difference of current VTSC...2005 similar start of year, 2004 ..ect)? What Target doesn't get an 'oil cutback' to keep fig prices down? ;)

RETAIL SETS THE FEE

OKAY, where were these oil prices added..I want to see this.

transportation costs for starters. with the rise in oil prices, fuel prices are much higher and as such thats a hit on a product's manufacturer, distributor, and the retail outlets. materials as well, the plastics these toys are made out of have oils in them, granted they are not the refined oils used in automobiles, but the price in oil plays a part in the manufacturing of plastic-based products. a look at any store for any product will show an increase in price across the board, from simple things like the cost of bread to the cost of toys, retailers attribute it in part to the rise in oil prices.

and while retail does set the fee that we pay, the manufacturer sets the price they sell the item to the retailers (except when that retailer is called Walmart) and as such when those prices go up, the retailers will attempt to make their money back by increasing the per unit price to customers.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2006, 03:06 PM »
I can legitimately see issuing two and only two different VOTC or VTSC Darth Vader's.  Careful observers of the Vader costume will note that in ANH Vader wears part of his cloak over his shoulder armor.  In TESB and ROTJ Vader wears that same cloak piece under the shoulder armor.  The version we got in the VOTC line was on a TESB card with Vader in the TESB style costume.  Issuing a newly sculpted VTSC Vader on an ANH card would make much more sense.

I agree. A good ANH Vader is really the only Vader that we're missing. I think there's some differences in the helmet too, but the robes are the biggest difference to me.

You could argue that we still need a ROTS SA Vader, but the VOTC Vader is a fine stand in for that.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2006, 01:18 AM »
No more Vaders, we had enough!  How many times do you need him plus he already got the Vintage treatment. Unfair!
Hasbro, Dont pull the kid card out because he is more than present in the basic line. You rehashed him twice in the Basic. (#2 is on his way)  >:(

I am all for SA Luke Bespin, Jawa & Leai. Snowtrooper I am ok with, i got my fill with the semi rehash but at least he will be SA. I am kinda bored with that one but I still dig it. ;D
Personally I would have loved a SA Han Bespin or Gammorean Gaurd over Vader. :D

How about a good OTC Emporer instead? :-*
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 4, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Now that we have the unprobable confirmation of the "original" Original Trilogy coming on DVD this fall, this makes the likelihood of a 2nd wave of VTSC even more likely to me.  I hope so anyways, and the rumored lineup sounds pretty good to me.  I don't necessarily need another Vader either, but it doesn't bother me, and hopefully we'll see more of these in the future.  I wonder if there will be some sort of "push" as there was with the OTC/VOTC around the first DVD release?  I doubt it will be as big, but maybe the VTSC will be timed to go along with it (it sounds like the LEGO Star Wars II video game will be).  Anyways, hopefully this turns out to be true.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 4, 2006, 07:41 PM »
I'm really digging the rumors about the VTSC Snowtrooper...it's about freakin' time!

In all honesty, if this does happen, this has really been the year for well done OT figs...ATAT Driver, Biker Scout, upcoming Death Star Gunner, and possibly this SA Snowtrooper.

Heck yes. ;D
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 4, 2006, 07:43 PM »
Most all of us don't need a Vader.  However, he's the most popular and/or recognizeable character so they are going to push him all the time.   We'll never see the end of Vader.   Little Johnny and his parents should be happy about that. 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #102 on: May 5, 2006, 11:37 AM »
Well, whether we need a new Vader figure or not, the ANH costume is the only one that we don't have a great SA version of. Take it or leave it.

My point is that if they are going to make a new Vader for VSTC wave 2, I'd rather it be the ANH version.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 5, 2006, 01:20 PM »
I almost feel certain that the Vader will be released either on a different cardback with the pointing version. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 5, 2006, 04:37 PM »
I almost feel certain that the Vader will be released either on a different cardback with the pointing version. 

I'd be ok with that.  I see the frustration guys feel about rehashes, but repacking Vader is simply a no brainer.  Guys will have missed it in the past (hard to believe) or it's a good way to draw new folks into VOTC.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.