Author Topic: Possible VTSC Wave 2?  (Read 30164 times)

Offline Daigo-Bah

• Jedi Apprentice
  • What a desolate place this is...
    • View Profile
Re: Possible VTSC Wave 2?
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2006, 12:48 AM »
I'm a little worried of how a VTSC Jawa would turn out.  Seems that such a small scale figure can't look right with soft goods.  Maybe they'll make the tall one with the 2 colored robes!  They wouldn't do it, but they should include a multi-armed treadwell or domed droid with him.
Greg Reeves

My *New* top 3 most desired figures: 1) Yerka Mig; 2) Uncle Owen; 3) Hoth Luke

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2006, 12:59 AM »
IMO that would open up a big can of worms.  That wasn't a figure that came out in the 70's/80's so then it's not really a new-school 'vintage' item.  I'd prefer that they leave the things that didn't come out back in the original days to the NEW lines and save this (so far perfect) line for the high-quality resculpts of the figures that were originally on these cardbacks.

So because the vintage Vader was never released with a removeable helmet a VOTC/VTSC version can't be?

Please don't think I'm trying to start an argument, but for example - no versions of Han Solo in the vintage line EVER came with a working holster - yet both the ANH VOTC Han and the ROTJ VTSC Han have a working holster. Same thing with Greedo - he didn't even have a holster sculpted to the leg. How about the X-Wing pilot Luke? The vintage figure didn't have a removeable lightsaber hilt that plugged into a socket on the figure. The vintage Biker Scout's ankle holster didn't work as a holster either.

What I'm getting is that so far, many of the figures have functional extras that go beyond articulation and detail that the vintage figures never had. So why couldn't one of the function features of a VTSC ROTJ Darth Vader be that it has a removeable helmet?

After reading your rationale, I can say that if they hadn't already done a VOTC Vader, I'd probably be inclined to agree with you.   

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2006, 01:40 AM »
Theoretical question:

If you're Hasbro, and are preparing a retro vintage Death Star Commander for release, do you call it by it's original name of Death Squad Commander?  Or do you go with the more-PC Death Star Commander name? 

Likewise, if you're doing new releases of Zuckuss and/or 4-LOM, do you switch the names or not? 

I'm curious as to exactly how faithful to the vintage line Hasbro would be when it comes to these particular issues.

I think people would survive Death squad commander just fine with no repurcussions.  That said, it wouldn't come out that way, it will be the the Death Star Commander simply because of the era we seem to be in.  But I'll live with either, so long as they round out the first twelve.  Like Jim, I want to finish that first 12 modern era stuff; I have a second vintage display platform for just that reason. It would be fine with Lando or Boba Fett, but I'd love to display the vintage 12 beside the VOTC 12 instead.  I'd be happier with Death Squad but would be fine with Death Star. 

I think Spuffy has a valid point, but I just don't see Hasbro risking it.  Here's to hoping I'm wrong about that.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2006, 02:00 AM »
I'm a little worried of how a VTSC Jawa would turn out.  Seems that such a small scale figure can't look right with soft goods.  Maybe they'll make the tall one with the 2 colored robes!  They wouldn't do it, but they should include a multi-armed treadwell or domed droid with him.

I think Kenner did soft goods on the vintage Jawa just fine.  hasbro doesn't seem to be as skilled at it, for some reason.  And as far as these figs having features the vintage ones didn't, I don't think a continuing VTSC line can support an exact reproduction of the original line of figures.  There has to be something 'new' about it (and like Pete said, these figs already betray the vintage concept in just their articulation) and new features, new figs, and so on will probably be the way to do it.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2006, 02:05 AM »
Hmmm... on the whole Death Squad/Death Star thing, to me in the long run all that matters is that we get well sculpted/articulated version of him.  I do think that Death Squad is possible though (is that what was on the orginal package?)

And doesn't the new VSTC Tusken say "Sand People" on it?  So I think they're more than safe there, regardless of what people might claim they are offended (which I think they do just for attention anyway).

Hmmm... what others guys?  I love thinking of this type of stuff.

:)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2006, 02:11 AM »
I think Kenner did soft goods on the vintage Jawa just fine.  hasbro doesn't seem to be as skilled at it, for some reason.  And as far as these figs having features the vintage ones didn't, I don't think a continuing VTSC line can support an exact reproduction of the original line of figures.  There has to be something 'new' about it (and like Pete said, these figs already betray the vintage concept in just their articulation) and new features, new figs, and so on will probably be the way to do it.

It's no secret that I disagree with the second half of your statement about the line needing to deviate from the original run, but as for the softgoods - Hasbro's been hit or miss IMO.  For every Puffy Coat Obi-Wan or Sandtrooper, there's been a princes leia with a nice flexible white gown (see Hooded Commtech Chip).  The Evolutions Softgoods on the Anakin and Sith Lord sets were great.  They just need to use the right materials - ones that don't take their own shape.    It's worked pretty well for many figures and can work pretty easily for the jawas if they just pick the right material and cut it tight enough.

Getting Qui-Gon Jinn or a Biggs or other non vintage figures onto shelves is what the regular TSC line is for.  Otherwise, why even bother making this thing special and calling it vintage and reproduce original cards.  It loses what makes it great IMO if you start fudging around with it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 02:14 AM by Rob »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2006, 02:27 AM »
I do agree there with Zod (can I still call you that  ;) ) that the VOTC/VSTC line should be reserved for their vintage counterparts.  For a while I wanted to see prequels like this too... but if it takes Evolutions sets to get that quality so maybe that's the route to take (just an idea).

:)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2006, 04:41 AM »
I can see it both ways.  What's more exciting to me as a lifelong collector is the idea of figs like Tarkin, Wedge, or Slave Leia on 'vintage' cards -- PT I could live without (but wouldn't mind) -- but I see where people are coming from.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2006, 01:21 PM »
Regarding people not wanting unmade OT figs or PT figs on retro cards.  Has everyone already forgotten that the Lucas on Vintage card has already messed up that whole logic ???

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2006, 01:28 PM »
At least it's some crap mail-away and not part of the wave - but you're right.  I'd have much rather it had been an Ghost of Anakin (old anakin) mail-away or some such thing.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2006, 01:53 PM »
I'm up for all except Vader unless they use a re-hash of the Evo version.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2006, 02:08 PM »
It's no secret that I disagree with the second half of your statement about the line needing to deviate from the original run, but as for the softgoods - Hasbro's been hit or miss IMO.  For every Puffy Coat Obi-Wan or Sandtrooper, there's been a princes leia with a nice flexible white gown (see Hooded Commtech Chip).  The Evolutions Softgoods on the Anakin and Sith Lord sets were great.  They just need to use the right materials - ones that don't take their own shape.    It's worked pretty well for many figures and can work pretty easily for the jawas if they just pick the right material and cut it tight enough.

Hey Rob - when you mention the Sandtrooper above are you referring to the new VTSC one? I have three of those opened and the soft goods on them are great. Maybe you meant the one that came with the Bantha many moons ago...

I know the VTSC figure looks not-so-good in the VTSC packaging, but once you open him up and adjust the cloak, the figure looks great.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2006, 02:49 PM »
Yeah, I meant Sandpeople - not Sandtrooper.  I have one open, and it's not as bad as the initial pictures made it look, but it's still too rigid and puffy IMO.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Yeah, I meant Sandpeople - not Sandtrooper.  I have one open, and it's not as bad as the initial pictures made it look, but it's still too rigid and puffy IMO.

You're right there is a slight bit of puffy-ness.

What I found when posing each one is that if I have a tug to the back of the cloak at the bottom, the puffy-ness goes away somewhat and it looks just like robes flowing off the character.

Soft goods seems to be a double edged sword with the modern line, Hasbro definitely has had a lot more "misses" as opposed to "hits" when using it.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2006, 06:03 PM »
I'm quite concerned with the continuation of the "vintage" assortments from Hasbro. While they have made some quality figures and I have been guilty of buying them all, I feel long-term they are more of a detriment than a plus for us collectors.

With the quality put into these figures, we have seen a decline in the basic figure assortments that just should not be. If you've read any of Jesse's reviews, you'll note how things like articulation and detail have been reduced in the TSC 2006 (compared to ROTS 2005) at the $6 pricepoint, however they're available at the $10-$12 pricepoint when these "vintage" figures could easily be placed in the TSC line. What's worse is that I believe we as collectors have shown Hasbro that we accept this line with open arms and as such they will not be inclined to place the quality in the "vintage" line back into the basic line. We're willing to pay $10-$12 for a figure we should be paying no more than half for, so why would they stop?

This rumor list includes an "SA Snowtrooper." Why couldn't this be in the TSC basic line instead of the custom figure we got? Because Hasbro knows they can milk us for twice the price when putting these guys out in the "vintage" line. Perhaps Adam Pawlus has said it best when he says (and I'm paraphrasing here), that collectors do not know what's best for the toy line or the hobby.   :-\
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot