Author Topic: Possible VTSC Wave 2?  (Read 30159 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Possible VTSC Wave 2?
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2006, 07:24 PM »
Well, you can put me down for this:

0 x Darth Vader (ESB)
5 x Jawa (light-up eyes)
1 x Luke Skywalker Bespin Gear
1 x Princess Leia Endor General
15 x Snow Trooper (Hoth Stormtrooper)

I have no interest in another Vader whatsover, in any way, shape, or form.  He's been done absolutely to death, I don't see what else we can possibly ask for with this figure.

Jawas are always fine.  A 2 pack would be nice, that'd be a surprise.

Luke, okay.  3 waves, 3 Lukes.

Leia we desperately need.  The previous endor versions are pretty sad.

This sounds like the snowtrooper we've all been waiting for.  Now all they have to do is the same thing for the Hoth Rebel.

Need photos to comment further.

:)
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2006, 09:33 PM »
I'm quite concerned with the continuation of the "vintage" assortments from Hasbro. While they have made some quality figures and I have been guilty of buying them all, I feel long-term they are more of a detriment than a plus for us collectors.

With the quality put into these figures, we have seen a decline in the basic figure assortments that just should not be. If you've read any of Jesse's reviews, you'll note how things like articulation and detail have been reduced in the TSC 2006 (compared to ROTS 2005) at the $6 pricepoint, however they're available at the $10-$12 pricepoint when these "vintage" figures could easily be placed in the TSC line. What's worse is that I believe we as collectors have shown Hasbro that we accept this line with open arms and as such they will not be inclined to place the quality in the "vintage" line back into the basic line. We're willing to pay $10-$12 for a figure we should be paying no more than half for, so why would they stop?

This rumor list includes an "SA Snowtrooper." Why couldn't this be in the TSC basic line instead of the custom figure we got? Because Hasbro knows they can milk us for twice the price when putting these guys out in the "vintage" line. Perhaps Adam Pawlus has said it best when he says (and I'm paraphrasing here), that collectors do not know what's best for the toy line or the hobby.   :-\

I know what you mean.  But I think the Lava Darth Vader is really the figure that got all this going.  They saw that adult collectors were more than willing to jump through hoops AND pay inflated prices for a "special" figure.  We are screwed now.  The thing is if you really want the figure you will have to cave in an pay the $12.  Sucks.  But that is the way it is now.  I don't like it either but it's either that or not pay at all. 

The thing is that you would think Hasbro could figure out that if you lower the price the more you actually sell and make even more profit than jacking up the price.    It has worked well for a little company called Wal-Mart. 

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2006, 10:04 PM »
You can put me down for this:

0 x Darth Vader (ESB)
1 x Jawa (light-up eyes)
0 x Luke Skywalker Bespin Gear
0 x Princess Leia Endor General
0 x Snow Trooper (Hoth Stormtrooper)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2006, 10:10 PM »
I'm curious about this:

I'll pass on the SA Snowie 'since I already have the TSC version... But SA Jawa! I'm sold!

You can put me down for this:

0 x Snow Trooper (Hoth Stormtrooper)

Okay. 

But then there's this, from the Empire Top Ten thread:

1. SA Snowtrooper w/ SG Kama, E-11, and Macrobinoculars

Help me understand.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2006, 10:23 PM »
5 new VTSC figures coming out and he only wants 1 total figure, that being a jawa.  That pretty much looks like a $ issue Virex.  After all, we are being hit up for almost double, for what really should be the standard in the basic 3 3/4" line.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2006, 10:24 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2006, 10:54 PM »
Well, for me personally, this will probably be what I get:

2 x Darth Vader (ESB)
5 x Jawa (light-up eyes)
2 x Luke Skywalker Bespin Gear
2 x Princess Leia Endor General
5 x Snow Trooper (Hoth Stormtrooper)

Unless they have a giveaway for another 6th figure with that wave as well, then the Vader, Luke and Leia will jump to 3x each. Basically it will be a similar pattern to what I had to do with VTSC Wave 1

3x Greedo
5x Tusken Raider
3x X-Wing Luke
3x Han in Trenchcoat
5x Biker Scout
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2006, 11:07 PM »
5 new VTSC figures coming out and he only wants 1 total figure, that being a jawa.

Yes, I picked up on that already, but thanks anyway, Matt.

That pretty much looks like a $ issue Virex.  After all, we are being hit up for almost double, for what really should be the standard in the basic 3 3/4" line.

Oh, I agree completely, and I think it's a shame that they're cutting super-articulation out of the basic line, and putting it in these $10+ figures.  And I think doing it with army-builders is even worse.

More:

This is from the New Hope wishlist thread:

7. SA Jawa w/ Soft Goods and Ion Rifle

So, a new Jawa is this guy's seventh most-wanted figure from A New Hope, but the only one he wants out of these five new potential figures.  Okay, I can kind of buy that, since there's not anymore New Hope figures in this rumored wave.

But at the same time he's putting a SA Snowtrooper on the top of his Empire wishlist, he's in this thread, saying he's not interested in the SA Snowtrooper, all because he's already got the BA (barely-articulated) Snowtrooper from the Hoth wave.

I'm not trying to browbeat the guy, just trying to follow the logic.

I mean, I want my figures as articulated as possible, and as inexpensible as possible, too (hell, I think we all do), but at this point, I'll take what I can get.  And if that means having to pay a premium for one of my most-wanted figures, well, so be it.  'Cause, between having a $10 SA Snowtrooper in some "collector's" packaging, and not having a SA Snowtrooper at all, ever, I'll take the $10 version, you know?

Because like a wise, Chicagoland high school principal once said, "between grief, and nothing. . .  I'll take grief?"
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Well, you can put me down for this:

0 x Darth Vader (ESB)
5 x Jawa (light-up eyes)
1 x Luke Skywalker Bespin Gear
1 x Princess Leia Endor General
15 x Snow Trooper (Hoth Stormtrooper)

That looks a lot like my list, but make it two lukes and two leias - and also put a question mark next to Darth vader - it's going to depend on if it's the same EXACT thing or not.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2006, 11:17 PM »
With the quality put into these figures, we have seen a decline in the basic figure assortments that just should not be. If you've read any of Jesse's reviews, you'll note how things like articulation and detail have been reduced in the TSC 2006 (compared to ROTS 2005) at the $6 pricepoint, however they're available at the $10-$12 pricepoint when these "vintage" figures could easily be placed in the TSC line.

It costs a lot more to manufacture a toy with 18 joints than it does a toy with 5 joints.  Add rising oil costs (oil is used not only for distribution but to make plastic) and give it the spiffy collector's packaging, and $10.00 honestly isn't unreasonable.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Hmm, if this really turns out to be accurate information I'd be quite happy I think. Bespin Luke and Endor Leia would be definates, and I'd try to get my hands on the Snowtrooper and Jawas as well. Vader... if he's a VOTC rerelease I can do without, but if they did something smart and used an evolutions Vader or a retooled Evolutions Vader, I might buy one if I had the money.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2006, 01:20 AM »
It costs a lot more to manufacture a toy with 18 joints than it does a toy with 5 joints.  Add rising oil costs (oil is used not only for distribution but to make plastic) and give it the spiffy collector's packaging, and $10.00 honestly isn't unreasonable.

The only issue I have with that though is that Hasbro does issue similarly articulated figs in the basic line (Pilot Obi, for example, the #41 clone and all its repaints) at the basic price point.  If we're paying more for the packaging, okay, but I can't believe the difference in cost between a fig with 14 POA and 18 is 3 bucks.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2006, 02:44 AM »
If they want to save on oil they should do it with hologram figures.

But I didn't say that. ;)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2006, 08:33 AM »
I had to wait until this morning to check out the website to see the list of figures myself...Rob called me on Friday and had me going crazy cuz I wanted to check online, but couldn't......

Wow.  This would be great news.

I can see commiting early to a dozen Snowtroopers, a dozen Jawas, a few Luke Bespins, a few Leia Endors and 1 Vader

I don't have any expectations of a 2 pack of Jawas.  They were sold as singles back in the day, to keep with the theme, it SHOULD be just one.  The fact that they (possibly)  have tricked it up with electronic lights scares me a bit.  VOTC or VTSC should be as free from gimmicky action features as possible, it is a dangerous precedent.

If "Wave 2" is true though that would give us the following totals for this YEAR:

A New Hope Figs: 4
Greedo
Sand People
Luke X-Wing
Jawa

Empire Strikes Back: 3
Snowtrooper
Luke Bespin
Darth Vader

Return of the Jedi: 3
Endor Han
Endor Leia
Biker Scout

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2006, 08:38 AM »
Another example of a basic figure being close to the VTSC level of quality is the recent AT-AT Driver. Add ankle joints, a ball jointed waist/chest articulation point and change the elbows from cut joints to ball joints and that figure could easily be part of the VTSC line.

It almost makes you wonder what the criteria is for how a figure gets on the VOTC/VTSC list.

Personally, every OT trooper has already been done. If they make another/updated version, I would PREFER they put it in the VTSC line - and I do buy multiples of the $10 army builders so I'm in the same boat as everyone else on that regard.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2006, 01:02 PM »
The only issue I have with that though is that Hasbro does issue similarly articulated figs in the basic line (Pilot Obi, for example, the #41 clone and all its repaints) at the basic price point.  If we're paying more for the packaging, okay, but I can't believe the difference in cost between a fig with 14 POA and 18 is 3 bucks.

Rarely.  And the #41 clone is most definitely an exception, because what they might lose on sculpt, they can make up for on volume - by repainting it and reselling it over and over again.  They've already done so at least 4 different times by my count (Gree, Utapau, Regular, and Shock) and they'll probably do so again.