Author Topic: Favorite Villain?  (Read 4738 times)

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
Favorite Villain?
« on: April 27, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Sorry if this is kind of a vague, "n00bish" post that's been done to death in the past, but I didn't happen to see one around here and after a few weeks of checking I figured this particular branch of the forum could use a new thread.

So, who is your favorite villain in all the Star Wars material you've read/watched/heard ("I like the radio play version of Boba Fett better!" who knows, maybe someone out there does). This could include any of the movies, books, comics, whatever. If you can't nail it down to one villain, though, a short list would do ;)

As for me...it's hard to say. I ease the question for myself by personally not considering Anakin a true villain- granted he's great at it, but I look at the character from a complete perspective and sort of think of Vader as this twisted form of Anakin that got created. Much like Obi Wan summed it up in the OT :) That said... Vader is prett darned cool.

But, Thrawn! Whoa. An extremely smart, competent, cool-headed military leader who calmly "weeds out" only that or those which hinder the "war machine" and promotes those who are intuitive and thus helpful. No revenge or anger drive Thrawn, just an absolute will to create a powerful military force to control and perhaps even protect the Empire. I daresay Thrawn, though his campaign obviously went a bit, shall we say, awry at the end, was perhaps a far more competent villain than any of the Sith.

Palpatine isn't my favorite... he's horrid and absolutely evil, an embodiment of all it represents, and as such he's a needed driving force in  the story, but as someone to be hated in my thinking.

I need to get going on some more EU so I can learn about Ysanne Isard and Admiral Daala and such. I'm steering clear of the NJO though, so no Vong for me. Although, I have to say the fan-concieved idea that Thrawn wanted to restore the empire so as to defend against the Vong, having discovered them in his time on the outer edges of the Galaxy, is a very interesting one.

And yes, I have done my research enough to know I'm offending them each time I simply call them the Vong ;) They killed Chewie dammit!

So anyway, I'd say Thrawn and Vader for me.

EDIT: while he's not cool enough to make my list, I figure no one else would mention such a thing, so I just wanted to dredge up this image for everybody: Rokur Gepta, the Sorceror of Tund! Surely that was the greatest villain in the entire saga...

Actually, I'm tempted to do a custom of the fellow one day. But Vuffi Raa and a young Lando would come first ;) Actually, I've really got parts waiting for me to make a Vuffi Raa...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 12:18 AM by Mitsukara »

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Villain?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2006, 08:45 PM »
Thrawn, Would be at the Top of My List for EU Villian.

I don't know if You can Count Stormtroopers in on This, But they Top The Movie Villian List For me.
Fritzkrieg

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58 PM »
Sure, stormtroopers count! You can list characters/troops from any part of Star Wars you want- I wouldn't have even posted this in the EU forum except that it seemed to fit here, and there doesn't seem to be an all-incluse general Star Wars discussion forum here.

Heck, I listed Vader, after all ;)

Offline VF/501

• Youngling
  • From the water we're born, and in the fire we die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 5, 2006, 05:39 AM »
I'd say Grievous because he commited genocide, planetary invasions, and killed over 60 jedi on his own, plus he was not all about rage, like Thrawn he could be coldly calculating (not at the same level of genius though) and cared for efficency and practicality over  zealous pride and grandstanding.

As for Thrawn, to me he was not a villain because he was a true leader, and realized that there were tough decisions to make and did what he thought was best,  all he expects was honesty, integerity, and competence, and he only killed those that betrayed him or showed an undue and highly damaging level of imcompetence.

I don't agree with all of the things he did (noghri situation) but he did not throw away lives in needless battles or have his subordinates killed on a whim.

To me the true villains are the High Inquisitors, Imperial Protectors and the more active in the darkside Emperor's Hands.  And every citizen that did not protest against the Empire and its creation.
Palpatine:Lord Vader
Vader:Master, my suit chafes
Palps:Do you use Darkside
Vader:Yes master
Palps:In time you will learn the true power of the darkside
Vader:Which is
To stop chafing in clothes

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 5, 2006, 08:36 PM »
As for Thrawn, to me he was not a villain because he was a true leader, and realized that there were tough decisions to make and did what he thought was best,  all he expects was honesty, integerity, and competence, and he only killed those that betrayed him or showed an undue and highly damaging level of imcompetence.

That's a very good point, and I have to say I kind of agree; he's not really a villain in the same sense as Palpatine and such at all. But his decisions and practices certainly don't align him as being good, either; depending on your point of view, he toys with other's lives to achieve the ends he thinks needs to be met. That is to say, while he is extremely efficient, a great leader, and even appreciates art, he still seems to contend that the ends justify the means. He uses art and information as a weapon to forge an empire under his control, even if he did have in mind to use it to defend the galaxy from outside threats.

*shrugs* To quote a certain Jedi, "many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our point of view" ;)

But IMO, Thrawn is certainly not the most wrong nor heinous of the Star Wars universe- far from it. He's just a favorite of mine because of who he is, the way he thinks and, indeed, operates.

Unlike Palpatine, who truly has no redeeming values- inhumanly so.

Offline DuDisNow

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15 PM »
Jabba the Hutt.

He's my favorite baddy because he's just a bad guy that keeps slaves.  I also hate him for feeding Oola to the rancor though, but he's still my favorite baddy.
...__...__.__..._.....___..............._......___...__
.[__.......|..../__\..|__|..\....../../__\....|__|.[__
.___].....|.../......\.|....\...\/\/../......\...|....\.__]

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 09:45 PM »
I'll pick Sebulba.  He's pretty ruthless, has a fast ride, and seems to get a lot of chicks.  Plus he was the only one even close to taking out Jar Jar, which practically makes him a good guy in my book.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 11:41 PM »
Maul=Pure,Raw,Evil
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 07:53 PM »
Im surprised at you, Deana, you forget...he killed Qui-Gon!

Anyways, while Im reviving old threads, my favorite villain has to be...damn!...this is hard...uhh...IG-88, Thrawn, Xizor, Sebulba. The four of them are all tied!!! Maul's cool, too! Damn! The five of them are tied. I like Darktroopers. Doh!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline brian_peppers

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 7, 2007, 05:21 PM »
i'll pick padme she had to die and make ani turn to the dark side
I suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2007, 08:10 AM »
i'll pick padme she had to die and make ani turn to the dark side

Anakin turned to the darkside before Padme died, dude.