Author Topic: TRU Exclusive Dagobah X-Wing  (Read 54638 times)

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: TRU Exclusive Dagobah X-Wing
« Reply #60 on: June 3, 2006, 06:47 AM »
Since I'm passing on the Naboo wave I'll spend the money on one of these. Much better deal IMO.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 3, 2006, 10:40 AM »
Well I will most likely buy this and give my previous one to my 5 year old cousin...should he want it.   No, I don't care that the dragon is to scale or not.  Hell all we saw was a glimpse of the head and back I think.  Who knows how big it is (well maybe there is an EU book that says it)?   Now if they make it like 3 inches long I can see us getting pissed off.  But to be honest I never expected them to make the dragon or whatever it is.  For me it's just a plus. I don't expect it to be to scale.  They rarely make ships to scale.  Why would the creature be any different? 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 3, 2006, 01:40 PM »
I've been very happy with my FX version of this vehicle.  With that said, this one will be very hard to pass up because of the cool pack ins that are included.

What a great set for diorama builders.  I wish I had the room to do something cool with it.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #63 on: June 3, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Well I will most likely buy this and give my previous one to my 5 year old cousin...should he want it.   No, I don't care that the dragon is to scale or not.  Hell all we saw was a glimpse of the head and back I think.  Who knows how big it is (well maybe there is an EU book that says it)?   Now if they make it like 3 inches long I can see us getting pissed off.  But to be honest I never expected them to make the dragon or whatever it is.  For me it's just a plus. I don't expect it to be to scale.  They rarely make ships to scale.  Why would the creature be any different? 

Actually, more ships are to-scale than you realize maybe...  A-Wing, TIE Fighters (Bomber, INterceptor, Advanced x1, and Target TIE), Vintage Cloud Car (not out, but still), Landspeeder, T-16 Skyhopper, Jedi Starfighter AOTC, Jedi Starfighter ROTS, Tri-Fighter...

One could make an argument for the Hailfire & AAT as well, as dimensions on them are fuzzy, but still...

To the best of my recollection, no source gives the size/shape/look of the monster that swallowed R2 and hocked him back up...  To me, as long as it looks as though it could get the R2 figure in its mouth, I'm happy... 

To be honest though if it's not a believable size then I am actually a little disinterested/disappointed in it.  The Dianoga seemed just right, so I think this thing could be too...  With nothing to base it on it's hard for them to be "off" with it, so long as when you compare it with the droid it's "believable" to see it open its jaws and get R2 in its mouth.  Granted Grandma Tarkin was being a little sarcastic but yeah the scale's still important to me.  I'm just glad its something that scale can be argued then.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 3, 2006, 11:04 PM »
Well..I love the Creature :-*!!  I think it's satisfactory enough to say it could grab the R2 my the leg with it's arm or moth in the least then reject it! So glad Hasbro did this

..gotta buy!

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 4, 2006, 01:50 PM »

Actually, more ships are to-scale than you realize maybe...  A-Wing, TIE Fighters (Bomber, INterceptor, Advanced x1, and Target TIE), Vintage Cloud Car (not out, but still), Landspeeder, T-16 Skyhopper, Jedi Starfighter AOTC, Jedi Starfighter ROTS, Tri-Fighter...

One could make an argument for the Hailfire & AAT as well, as dimensions on them are fuzzy, but still...

To the best of my recollection, no source gives the size/shape/look of the monster that swallowed R2 and hocked him back up...  To me, as long as it looks as though it could get the R2 figure in its mouth, I'm happy... 

To be honest though if it's not a believable size then I am actually a little disinterested/disappointed in it.  The Dianoga seemed just right, so I think this thing could be too...  With nothing to base it on it's hard for them to be "off" with it, so long as when you compare it with the droid it's "believable" to see it open its jaws and get R2 in its mouth.  Granted Grandma Tarkin was being a little sarcastic but yeah the scale's still important to me.  I'm just glad its something that scale can be argued then.

Sure but we all know there are collectors that will whine if it's not totally to scale.  I am not bothered by toy vehicles not being to scale.  I actually love my Jawa Sandcrawler  but many are upset by it's scale.  For the longest time people were mad about the short panels on the Tie Figher.  The small cockpit of the Millenium Falcon.  The vintage X-Wing until of course the FX version showed up.  Sometimes you hear grumblings about Imperial Shuttle's scale as well.   The same with the vintage Skiff.  I am not bothered by any of them really.  It would be nice to get to scale of course, but I don't get worked up about it that much. 

I just won't be suprised is all if the creature is not "to scale."  That's all. 

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Initiate
  • Show No Mercy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 4, 2006, 03:27 PM »
I would buy this if it were cheaper, but at $45...I don't know... :'(
"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

-Betrand Russel

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: Star Wars Classic Dagobah Vehicle with Figure
« Reply #67 on: June 4, 2006, 03:29 PM »
I would tend to agree.
It may come with Vinatge style X-Wing Luke and R2. The first go round was $29.99 with R2 and Dagobah gear. I would hope they are not pulling another Gunship price on us. The first Saga Xwing was a sweet deal. For those of you who missed it take advantage this go around.

Sratch the R2, TRU will gauge our wallets.....they want a better margins on the ship.

I take back what I said, this is a truly kick ass exclusive. I am glad i ordered it the first day they offered it the improvements are stellar.. If the Endor AT-AT is just as cool I will not bat an eyelash at the price.
I guess I can customize my old TRU X-Wing.

Darth Broem I am with you, I am not bothered by toy scale being a little off. You can only go so far at retail and
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 6, 2006, 01:37 AM »
I'm not bothered by ship scale,but figure scale I am.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 6, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Even though we may never see a new dagobah playset, this is a great addition to my dagobah diorama.

X-Wing: I like the new "white" body as oppose to the grey.
Luke: Nice kit bashing.
R2:  I will probably end up using the "OTC dagobah R2".
Swamp muck:  Nice attention to the details, may I have some more please?
Creature: From the looks of it, it looks like it can't swim in the bog on the
                dagobah playset; thank God.

I will be acquiring two.

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 7, 2006, 12:48 AM »
Really I can't see why everyone is complaining about scale on the dragonsnake. For one Hasbro is making it and two if you look at the bottom X-wing in the picture and the dragonsnake it looks to be scale to me. We have never seen the whole creature to begin with, only its back. My guess would be that it would be smaller than the X-wing. The mouth looks big enough to eat R2 even in the lower part of the picture. We shouldn’t jump to conclusions on this without known how those pictures were taken. Plus if scale is a problem for you, how do you deal with any of the vehicles Hasbro has made? Most are not even close and the ones that are close must not cut it for you. Even the Speeder Bike is over sized and they should have been able to nail that. I’m glad to get another of the more true scale X-wings. I only wish they would do the same for the Y-wing and the AT-ST among other that could be done to a more true scale.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #71 on: June 7, 2006, 02:06 AM »
I'd be one of the people that complains about scale on anything...  ships, monsters, it doesn't matter.  To me the FX X-Wing's not good enough to suit, so I avoid these...  unfortunately this one's new monster means I want it.  I'll pass the ship along I guess to someone or sell it hopefully recooping some cost.

The scale of the monster's a moot point though...  Nobody knows its scale, the pictures don't look like they're all the same shot so the toys may vary anyway in size, and to the best of anyone's knowledge in this thread at least, there's no known dimensions on the monster that ate R2... 

So for that, as long as the head looks (to me) to be believable that it could get R2 in its mouth and spit him across the sky, I'm happy with that... 

Scale is important to me because, at the end of the day, the ships get the shaft in the line and kids don't seem to be the target with them anymore...  Hasbro's said as much actually, so to me the accuracy becomes important.  On things like shuttles, or Sandcrawlers, it'd be outrageous...  Then I'm simply annoyed when Hasbro decides it's a good time to put an exclusive pack-in figure in those vehicles (*cough*ra-7*cough*).

The good things is that Hasbro's scale isn't always off, and it's more on than people often realize...  TIE's have been fantastic in the line, and the ROTS ship line-up was great except for the $30 pricepoint vehicles...  That was a good ship year for certain.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 7, 2006, 02:28 PM »
I agree with you, Jesse. I like my vehicles/ships etc to be in scale. That is one reason why I sold/traded all my vehicles. The other reason is that most looked to toyish. I want some great looking pieces for my collection. You collect 21st C stuff don't you? I wish Hasbro would do what 21st C has done to their vehicles. More accurate, great detail, and great scale for a good price. On the creatures I would like for them to make more articulate with the great sculpt like the figures. That would be totally cool, but i don't see it happening anytime soon.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #73 on: June 7, 2006, 05:30 PM »
That is one reason why I sold/traded all my vehicles.

I've been a completist for years, but in the past 2 years I'd say, I've actually started to bend my rules or change them completely...

The basic line I still feel compelled for completion (loose) but for the vehicles, Deluxe, and multi-packs I am now picky.  I pass on any ship I can that isn't to-scale and doesn't have a pack-in I feel I "need".  That's my gripe with the X-Wing actually, in that I want hte monster, and the Luke is also something I feel I have to have...  The ship, I'm hoping to sell for like half the set's cost or something to someone who wants another X-WIng w/muck on it.

But Hasbro's pumped out to-scale ships like the A-Wing (which I'd love in a blue McQuarrie flavor) and the TIE Bomber...  The INterceptor despite the cockpit is good too, as is Target's TIE... 

I think the ARC and Gunship are good toys, but they're prime examples of ships that, to me, are simply toys and don't display well enough for me...  I hate the way troops look inside the hold of the Gunship for instance, and it just bothers me. 

21st would do a great job on SW ships...  It won't happen and I"ll keep ships as a customizing focus, but 21st (or BBI or whoever) would knock them out of the park, without a doubt.  It's the equivalent of SS taking over the 12" line really...  There'd be absolutely no competition at the end of the day.

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #74 on: June 7, 2006, 09:25 PM »
I have the perfect solution. I need everything except the monster. I'll sell it to you.

That is one reason why I sold/traded all my vehicles.

I've been a completist for years, but in the past 2 years I'd say, I've actually started to bend my rules or change them completely...

The basic line I still feel compelled for completion (loose) but for the vehicles, Deluxe, and multi-packs I am now picky.  I pass on any ship I can that isn't to-scale and doesn't have a pack-in I feel I "need".  That's my gripe with the X-Wing actually, in that I want hte monster, and the Luke is also something I feel I have to have...  The ship, I'm hoping to sell for like half the set's cost or something to someone who wants another X-WIng w/muck on it.

But Hasbro's pumped out to-scale ships like the A-Wing (which I'd love in a blue McQuarrie flavor) and the TIE Bomber...  The INterceptor despite the cockpit is good too, as is Target's TIE... 

I think the ARC and Gunship are good toys, but they're prime examples of ships that, to me, are simply toys and don't display well enough for me...  I hate the way troops look inside the hold of the Gunship for instance, and it just bothers me. 

21st would do a great job on SW ships...  It won't happen and I"ll keep ships as a customizing focus, but 21st (or BBI or whoever) would knock them out of the park, without a doubt.  It's the equivalent of SS taking over the 12" line really...  There'd be absolutely no competition at the end of the day.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.