Author Topic: Pride Displays Sith Set  (Read 5173 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Pride Displays Sith Set
« on: May 1, 2006, 12:52 AM »

So who is planning on ordering this when it comes available?  I am going to order at least on of them, perhaps two.  Even at the pricetag of $60 or whatever, it seems worth it to me to have a good environment to display figures.

:)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pride Displays Sith Set
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2006, 04:29 AM »
$60 is waaaay too much for me...  Especially when it's a haphazard hodgepodge of ROTS "environments" more than anything else.  The displays are incredibly simplistic overall actually, as far as buying plastic bits and pieces goes.  If it were $20 I'd consider it, but at $60 it's way overpriced to me considering there's not much to it in the grand scheme of things...

I've not been really into the Pride Displays since they started coming out.  I think there's better ways to do displays than that...  Modular environments in particular, but that doesn't seem to be a route anyone is going to go.  May be bordering too closely to playsets over displays, and treading on Hasbro turf.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2006, 09:00 AM »
I'll be passing . . . I agree with Jesse price point is not what I want to pay for these. That and combined with the small lava scene on something that seems mainly on Coruscant, I just don't like it.  I can understand though why some may want it though.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 1, 2006, 09:10 AM »
These are great in principal, but yeah, the price on the pride displays are too much for me as well. Thank goodness they're not Hasbro releases.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 1, 2006, 11:32 AM »
Any indication of the material it's made of?  The base looks quite cool.  Definitely liking the background, too.  The price is steep at $6, but it seems like items like this are at a premium.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 1, 2006, 03:20 PM »
The price is too high for me but I will take some pointers to make my own. ;)
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 1, 2006, 05:03 PM »
Well remember that the lave section is removable.  You don't have to leave it there.  There are also removable Kashyyyk and Utapau ground bases too that come with it.

Buying this to me is a no brainer, because while I could make my own version of this (which I've tried several attemps at) but making different height levels like this just seems way too difficult for me.  So rather than experiment with foamcore over and over or styrene, and spend who knows how much (and a lot of hours and frustration) on something I want, I'll buck up and pay for it in this case.  I don't like the first one they offered of ANH, but to me this is a great setup for displaying some prequel figures.

$60.00 is very high (no argument there), but I believe it also comes with about 50 stands for figures too.  So to me this is a great display for the Chancellor's office plus I'll get more stands for some Battle Droids.  I'd like to get two of them, one to have a bunch of senators on display and another with Windu fighting Palpatine.

I can't wait to get at least one of these.  I think once people start seeing other collectors with some of them with dioramas set up with them, a few people might change their minds some.  I've seen that happen before... I've actually wanted to commission Owen D. to make something similar to this, but he's so busy with other projects.  I'm passing on most of the rehashed vehicles this year so this will fit into my budget nicely.

« Last Edit: May 1, 2006, 05:04 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 1, 2006, 07:30 PM »
That is really neat looking. I have to say, I would buy one if the price range was anywhere the reasonable zone. I like the simple design; very nice. CHEWIE, where can I see the other pieces you mention coming with it??

Ah, I see...

« Last Edit: May 1, 2006, 07:33 PM by Ook »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 2, 2006, 05:50 PM »
This display definitely has more potential now that I've seen the second set of backgrounds.  There's no doubt I'd enjoy displaying some of my favourite ROTS figures on it.  But I just can't convince myself at $60, like so many others have said.  Which sucks, because they've got a great looking product.  :-\

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Yeah I think the backdrop piece is just outstanding... I might go to Kinko's and see if they can scan a few copies of it for me. It's really cool looking.

The price tag is crazy though like everyone has said.  I would think that if Hasbro put this out in the $20-$25 range, and made 1-2 for each movie they could do really well... especially if they threw an exclusive figure in each one...

« Last Edit: May 2, 2006, 06:16 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2006, 08:03 PM »
Yeah I think the backdrop piece is just outstanding... I might go to Kinko's and see if they can scan a few copies of it for me. It's really cool looking.

The price tag is crazy though like everyone has said.  I would think that if Hasbro put this out in the $20-$25 range, and made 1-2 for each movie they could do really well... especially if they threw an exclusive figure in each one...

I would agree with you on that Chewie. That Hasbro could make bucks especially if they put in an exclusive. Imagine one with Utapau that comes with exclusive Commander Cody?  I love this now that I see that the mutiple backgrouns are available. They look outstanding. If it wasn't $60 and if it wasn't a year with so much coming out, I would do this. I may change my mind and buy one anyway. . . . we'll see how the budget goes.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2006, 11:20 PM »
I like it, but costs too much. Palaptine's office part is perfect for Mace vs. Palpatine fight

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2006, 11:24 PM »
How many have they done? I recall the Tatooine one. Are there others??

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2006, 11:59 PM »
How many have they done? I recall the Tatooine one. Are there others??

So far, the only one that has been released is the ANH Tatooine one.  Just follow the link for the future ones, according to their site and you can view a few pics -

http://www.opentasks.org/html/dioramas.html

I think the Jabba's Palace one is kind of promising too.  But the problem is there isn't a spot for Jabba...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 3, 2006, 12:03 AM »
I just looked on ebay for the hell of it... and saw this -

http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-WARS-SAGA-VINTAGE-PRIDE-ACTION-FIGURE-DISPLAY-MINT_W0QQitemZ6054488590QQcategoryZ2476QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If I had any vintage figures to display I would probably buy this.