Author Topic: How have your collecting habits evolved over the years?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: How have your collecting habits evolved over the years?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 12:00 PM »
I've pretty much collected the same way I've always collected, just picking and choosing what figures, multipacks, vehicles, etc, I want. This way is much more easy on the wallet than if I were, oh say, a carded completionist.

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 05:12 PM »
in about '98 i got my 1st potf2 stuff.  at 1st i only got what i liked, but i soon realized that i liked alot of it, so i decided to get the other 15 or so that i didn't have and go completist.   then it seems like there was a lull where no figures were coming out, so i started on the ships.  during this phase i was trying to display everything.  i had ships on strings and moc figures pretty much wallpapering the room.  then we moved and i "wallpapered" a room at the new house, but stopped bothering with the ships.  also, about that time i got my 1st vintage figures.  brians was selling luke jedi's and vaders for i think $30 each, so i went for it.  i immediately noticed that those figures felt much more interesting to me.  i continued with the modern like thru all the ep1 and potj figures, but only got a few of the saga ones.  i was completely out of room to display anything, and it really felt like hasbro was really stretching... putting out a bunch of figures that very meaningless.  that was when i decided to try to finish a vintage carded run.   i have about 70 of them now, and probably won't finish for quite a while.  the remaining ones are all either expensive or a pain in the ass to find in decent condition.  all the modern stuff i have is in boxes in the garage.  i need to sell it to fund a yakface.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 12:23 AM »
I've moved onto just buying what I want. Exclusives don't bug me so much anymore, and I don't feel the need to complete a line. I just collect Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers these days. Those are pretty big lines, but it's not so bad only buying that which I think is worth the money.

For instance, I never tracked down the Pimp Daddy Destro SDCC exclusive, and the next Cobra 5-pack is a pass for me. I skip the non-movie Transformers from the new line, and mostly buy vintage G1 and reissues.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk