Author Topic: Are you a "closet" Star Wars fan or collector?  (Read 9004 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Are you a "closet" Star Wars fan or collector?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2004, 10:02 PM »
I have the McFarlane Alien figure on my desk. Most people are weired out by it, but some are like "Where can I get one?"

I also have a Darth Vader figure on my desk. When I'm bored, the Alien and Vader do battle. This is also the reason I'm passed over for promotion.

j/k 8)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2004, 02:58 AM »
Im 100% open fan.

My collections is placed next to my computer, and on the opposite wall as my bookcases, and the door to that room is open,which meens any vistior can see the figures.

At my former work for SA ViewCom (a LEGO owned company, which makes communication systems for trains) I mentioned it would be cool to build the big Star Destroyer. The job was  temporarily at 5 month period, but I got a cool parial gift...The Colector's Edition Imperial Star Destroyer.

OK I admit, some of my friend thinks that I make more money on selling Star Wars stuff at conventions and so than I realy do. I do sell well, but considering buying price, transportation etc. the profit is not very high, but convention are damn fun.

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2004, 09:46 PM »
So...  I had a rather unpleasant (embarrasing) moment today.  I was just heading back to the office after grabbing lunch with Jared.  He had given me a Cantina set and a couple Endor Generals to pass along to Morgbug and chuckles, in a thin white plastic bag.  So I'm walking back to the office, and even go out of my way to come in through the back entrance to the parking garage, so I can stash the loot in my car without anyone from the office potentially seeing it, and discovering that I'm a dork, and not really the totally cool co-worker that they all know and love...

Yep, those would be Star Wars action figures in there, thank you very much.   :-[  I'm having one of the more embarrasing moments of my life at this point, as they both start laughing at me, which turns into a somewhat playful session of taunting and ridiculing.  We talk a lot of **** to eachother as it is, and they could see they had me by the balls at this point, and they really went for the jugular.  Boy, I didn't hear the end of it.  Still getting it too, each time I pass either of them in the office.  Snickering...  Humming of the Star Wars theme...  Toy talk...  etc.

I think they've now figured out what all the packages are that arrive for me here at the office too, including one this morning...   :-\

ARGH!   >:(

Signed,
Very Embarrased in Sherman Oaks

Ahem. 

Bwah hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

whoot.  whoot.  pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt.  Mwahahahaha.

I am so damn happy to have been a part of this ;D :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2004, 01:59 AM »
Bwah hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahah

whoot.  whoot.  pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt.  Mwahahahaha.

I am so damn happy to have been a part of this ;D :-*

damn... you really are one mean mother ******, ain't ya?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2004, 06:43 AM »
Yes, the crotchedy old man definitely is!   >:(

And just for that, I gave his formerly mint Cantina set a good punch to the plastic before I packaged it up and sent it out today...   :-*

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #35 on: June 5, 2005, 03:11 AM »
As a fan, I'm more or less "out". For example, periodically I wear SW apparel. Many people know I'm a fan, a few know I claim to be a nerd, but I don't think anyone comprehends the awe-inspiring depths of my geekitude. ;)

It's not that I'm hiding it exactly, but it doesn't often come up in conversation and typically I don't bring it up. Though I did tell a few people I was going to CIII; once my CIII hat and T-shirt arrive from SWShop.com and I start wearing them, I'll end up explaining to a few more people. And that's cool with me, elsewise I wouldn't wear them. Seems like a good excuse to bring up the topic.

As a collector, I'm pretty well "in the closet". It just never comes up.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #36 on: June 5, 2005, 04:11 PM »
I'm just a poser...
Nah, I'm out about it... I have a couple of SW items at my desk at work, and it's prominent in my apartment...
Wore my ROTS shirt today and Aidan is wearing his Vader/Emperor/Grevious shirt today... we went to the movies- saw Madagascar- hehehehe... but it's really cool- the lightsabers on his shirt glow in the dark... I haven't seen adult t-shirts for SW that glow in the dark :(
I asked him today why he hasn't asked me to go see SW, he told me he wanted to see it, but that SW was weird... yeah, I'm going to have to talk to his dad about this...
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 7, 2005, 01:03 PM »
For the longest time, I was pretty quiet about my obsession.

But I've since embraced my geekdom and revel in it!   :-*  My wife absolutely encourages it too -- we walked into the Imperial March at our wedding reception and our pastor actually took the time to incorporate Star Wars and The Force into his sermon.  Very cool.   8)

Now that I'm in a smaller community (5,000 people), there's no point in hiding my Star Wars habit, even if I wanted to.  My co-workers at Extra Foods help to point out the new ROTS food merchandise and they were all amazed it took me a week and a half to see the movie (due to "real life" getting in the way - bah! >:().

We're just about done renovating our basement, and my local friends are already asking when I'm going to be done my 2 Star Wars rooms!  It'll probably take me a couple months...   :D

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 7, 2005, 01:16 PM »
I'm not out about it, but I don't really hide it either.  Anyone who steps into my home can pretty much tell right away from the framed posters and the Unleashed Obi-Wan and Anakin set on the endtable in the living room that I'm a fan, but I'm not out on the sidewalk saying, "HAY GUYS, I LOVE STAR WARS!" either. 

Not that there is anything wrong with that, as I'm certainly not ashamed of it at all.  It's a part of me, and if someone doesn't like it, well, **** 'em.  I always find it really amusing that SW fans are looked at as being silly for collecting little plastic men or dressing up in costume while sports fans pay thousands of dollars for a ball that never saw an actual game with someone's name on it that can't be authenticated and that's perfectly acceptable in society's eyes.

I think the funniest moment was about eight years ago (damn I'm getting old) when I had gotten the 12" Collector's Series Boba Fett on a trip to the grandparents' home for the holidays.  My grandmother (for reasons unknown) started in on me telling me how childish it was for me to be playing with a doll and how unrealistic it was. 

I then asked how me collecting SW dolls was any different than my female cousin, one year my elder and married, who collects Barbie dolls.  My grandmother, with a straight face, said, "That's different.  They're collectibles."   ::)

I love my grandmother, but I looked her dead in the face and said, "It's no different, and if you want to get right down to it, which one is more unrealistic: a man in a suit of armor with a rocket pack and a gun, or a woman who if real would have a 52 inch chest, a 12 inch waist, and 47 inch hips?"  She was at a complete loss for an answer, and since then she hasn't really said much to me about it. :)

Everybody has their own thing that makes them happy, and it is nobody else's place to tell them what they should and should not be able to do, collect, or so on to make them happy.  As far as I know, none of us hurts anyone by buying Darth Vader figures, so what should it matter?

(edited to keep from angering ex-girlfriends)  :-*
« Last Edit: June 7, 2005, 01:19 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 7, 2005, 01:47 PM »
I would say that I am more out than in with my Star Wars obsession.  I don't have anything displayed at work.  It is not because I am embarrassed though.  I am more afraid someone will steal stuff either to have it for themselves or as a joke on me. 

However, I do not wear any SW clothing like shirts, caps, etc.  I did want that C3 shirt with Kenobi and Anakin posed in a duel but the store was shut down.  I do not know if I would ever wear it in public?  So, I do reach a point where I don't want to be "out" with my SW obsession. 

Once in awhile I get a tad paranoid when carrying lots of SW toys around in the store.  Even though I am married for some reason I don't want to run into pretty young women who will see my Star Wars nerdiness.   I guess it's just carved into my psyche to try and look as cool as possible to the opposite sex?  If at all possible.  Ha-ha! 

Once I get comfortable with people I tell them about my passion for Star Wars.  Most people think it's ok.  Others laugh at first but then warm up to the idea and decide I am not that freaky afterall.  Especially since they see me being "normal" most all of the time. 

I did get quite a bit of attention from people at work and friends when they heard I went to the convention.  I guess that is a pretty freaky thing for most people to comprehend.  Of course they were all on me about whether I was going to the midnight showing of ROTS or not.  The tone has gone from kind of ripping on me to more positive since the film has been received so well now.  That's nice. 

All in all I don't care if people know about my SW obsession or not.  Very few people have ever seen my actual collection though.  I think my wife's family is a bit put off by it but oh well. 

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 7, 2005, 02:13 PM »
I'm a proud Star Wars collector.  Look at my our wedding cake topper.  Can't get more open than that. 

Offline Omega Squad Commander

• Jedi Initiate
  • LatinAmerica FanForce PRJO HC * CFAPR Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 7, 2005, 04:50 PM »
I'm a open fan/collector, everybody knows, not just The Shadow. ;D

TheForce.net LatinAmerica FanForce Puerto Rico Jedi Outcast High Council Member
Club de Figuras de Acción de Puerto Rico

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #42 on: June 7, 2005, 05:02 PM »
My Air Force callsign is Obi-Wan.  No big mystery here!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #43 on: June 7, 2005, 10:41 PM »
I think the funniest moment was about eight years ago (damn I'm getting old) when I had gotten the 12" Collector's Series Boba Fett on a trip to the grandparents' home for the holidays.  My grandmother (for reasons unknown) started in on me telling me how childish it was for me to be playing with a doll and how unrealistic it was. 

I then asked how me collecting SW dolls was any different than my female cousin, one year my elder and married, who collects Barbie dolls.  My grandmother, with a straight face, said, "That's different.  They're collectibles."   ::)

I love my grandmother, but I looked her dead in the face and said, "It's no different, and if you want to get right down to it, which one is more unrealistic: a man in a suit of armor with a rocket pack and a gun, or a woman who if real would have a 52 inch chest, a 12 inch waist, and 47 inch hips?"  She was at a complete loss for an answer, and since then she hasn't really said much to me about it. :)

LOL! Nicely done, Doc. ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jagdohh_Fett

• Jedi Initiate
  • Never to be remembered ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 8, 2005, 02:46 AM »
On the moon, nerds get their pants pulled down and they are spanked with moon rocks.

I guess I'd say I'm more of a "closet" fan, my family and a few of my good friends now about it. It just doesn't come up often enough when talking with most of my other friends and stuff. Anyone who sees my room would know the extent of my damage though ;D.
"If I'm not back in 5 minutes ... just wait longer."