Author Topic: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!  (Read 47621 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #135 on: September 5, 2006, 03:02 PM »
It doesn't sound like too many of you here are planning on picking these up, so I'm sort of leaning that way now as well.  I may pick up the Empire Strikes Back, just because my VHS version got eaten by a VCR when my younger brother was watching it years back, but I still have the others.  But, then I'm sure that once I have Empire, I'd want the other two.  I explained the new releases to my wife, and she's not real keen on picking these up either, so that weighs in as well.  Plus, with LEGO Star Wars II coming out, as well as some other DVDs, it should be expensive enough as it is.  We'll see, but if I do end up picking them up, its going to have to be quite spread out.  Really, if Lucas would have just left a few things alone (Han shooting first, Jabba's Palace song, ending ROTJ song, etc.), I'd be ok with the changes.  I mean, the Special Editions most definitely look better (at least than these versions that are coming out next Tuesday), and some of the changes are pretty good.  Just a few that really bother the most.  It will be interesting to see how well these sell.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 6, 2006, 04:52 PM »
I was thinking I might rent the new disc for Star Wars and do a double watch of the laser disc copy I have on DVD to see if they're the same quality to help make a decision.  I expect they will be about the same, but just for my own eyes.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #137 on: September 7, 2006, 01:09 AM »
I might get them just as a replacement for my VHS set, which has seen better days. I noticed on the Official Site that these will be the only time that the OOT is on DVD, and since a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD player is years away for me, I figure what the hell. It will be, without a doubt, my very dead last Star Wars DVD purchase. I don't care if even the Holiday Special or Ewoks and Droids are fully released on DVD, I wouldn't buy them.

I'll just take this as a lesson in being careful what I wish for. I asked for the original versions, and that's what I got. I never did think to ask for a respectable version of them (and changing them to anamorphic really doesn't make them original anymore, but I would have let that little bit slide.)

One would have assumed that an anamorphic transfer would be a given in this day and age, but Lucas and Co. are ever the kings of ****** results to high expectations.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #138 on: September 7, 2006, 01:22 AM »
(and changing them to anamorphic really doesn't make them original anymore, but I would have let that little bit slide.)

::)

Kee-rist.

When are people going to learn that "anamorphic" does not equal "changing the film?"
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #139 on: September 7, 2006, 08:53 AM »
From the upcoming (9/10/06) Sunday paper...

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #140 on: September 7, 2006, 12:36 PM »
(and changing them to anamorphic really doesn't make them original anymore, but I would have let that little bit slide.)

::)

Kee-rist.

When are people going to learn that "anamorphic" does not equal "changing the film?"

I don't know. I gathered from that link to The Digital Bits that it would be changing the film, but I forgot you love to jump down people's throats about this one just because you think you know more than everyone else about everything. Don't they have a place out there somewhere else where all you home theater know-it-alls can jerk each other off over fighting about aspect ratios?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #141 on: September 7, 2006, 12:47 PM »

So I can give a reply that's not as *******-ish as this last one:

Simplified, an "anamorphic transfer" just means that the DVD will look good on a 16x9 TV.  It doesn't change the aspect ratio of the film, and it doesn't change any of the content of the film at all--it just looks better on widescreen displays.

Here's a visual example:

Non-anamorphic Rushmore:

Anamorphic Rushmore:

Nothing has changed at all about the film itself--but the anamorphic version looks much better on widescreen displays, that's all.

There's a handy guide to anamorphic-osity here, if you're interested:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #142 on: September 7, 2006, 12:56 PM »
I don't know. I gathered from that link to The Digital Bits that it would be changing the film, but I forgot you love to jump down people's throats about this one just because you think you know more than everyone else about everything. Don't they have a place out there somewhere else where all you home theater know-it-alls can jerk each other off over fighting about aspect ratios?

I was typing out my most recent reply before I saw this.

I don't think I know more about everything than everyone else, but if you still think that "anamorphic = changed film," even after it's been gone over several times in this very thread, then I certainly know more about this particular issue than you do.  This can be a confusing issue for newcomers, and if you're spouting off about things you don't fully understand, then you're muddling it up even more for them, and I'm gonna call you on it. 

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Aren't you a little fat to be a stormtrooper?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 7, 2006, 01:43 PM »
I'll be picking these movies up next week, the only question is which promo I'll pursue (Tin set, graphic novels, artwork, etc...). Thank God no ones offering an exclusive figure with purchase.
...of the Fifth Southside Tactical Marching Squadron

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 7, 2006, 02:17 PM »
You know damn well that next year Lucasland will release a boxed set that will tempt the hell out of all of us.  You can bet that there will be cut scenes from the OT (as well as the PT) included (as extras).

Plus, we might even see an anamorphic version of the OT.

I say patience on this one (though that boxed set at BB is tempting). 

Remember, 2007 is the 30th Anniversary...we're bound to see SW plastered everywhere...

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 7, 2006, 03:47 PM »
You know damn well that next year Lucasland will release a boxed set that will tempt the hell out of all of us.  You can bet that there will be cut scenes from the OT (as well as the PT) included (as extras).

Plus, we might even see an anamorphic version of the OT.

I say patience on this one (though that boxed set at BB is tempting). 

Remember, 2007 is the 30th Anniversary...we're bound to see SW plastered everywhere...

All points well taken. STAR WARS DVD releases have become a holiday tradition, and I hope next years super set has everything everyones been waiting for. Of course the cynical side of me is convinced Lucas will leave something out to make us want more. If next years set has everything that this years set has and more, I'll pick it up and give my old set to my nephew.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 7, 2006, 03:54 PM »
I'll be picking these movies up next week, the only question is which promo I'll pursue (Tin set, graphic novels, artwork, etc...). Thank God no ones offering an exclusive figure with purchase.

Who has what special offers...

Best Buy - Collectors Tin
Wal- Mart - Graphic Novels
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth Gamboa

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 7, 2006, 04:54 PM »
Target; Mcquarie art, postcard size

Circuit City; classic poster art portfolio

SWS.com; Topps card

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 7, 2006, 07:48 PM »
I kind of forgot you really do not neet to buy all 3 DVD's at once.  So, I just might pick up A New Hope instead.  That's really the one that has the most changes from the Special Editions.  I might pick that one up and call it quits until next year's set.  Damn you Lucas.  Tempting me again.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: September 7, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Who has what special offers...

Best Buy = Collectors Tin
Wal- Mart = Graphic Novels
Target = Mcquarie art, postcard size