Author Topic: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!  (Read 47641 times)

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2006, 02:17 AM »
Of course just last week I grabbed a widescreen VHS trilogy set off ebay.  D'oh!
But good news nonetheless.  I'll be selling my present DVD set at the used shop this weekend!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2006, 05:58 AM »
I'm happy but it'd be cool if they'd had some "extras" on a bonus disc like cut scenes in their unfinished entirety or something.  Just something nice and extra...  Maybe a couple of the "making of" specials put to DVD that haven't already been done.  I dunno.

I'll buy it just because I want the OT without the SE on it.  I have a great clear copy now...  But I'll want these I'm sure.

And of course when they do give us bonus footage some day I'm going to be dumb enough to get those too because I want that f'n footage.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2006, 08:42 AM »
This paragraph is now missing from the story on the official site:

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

Conspiracy theorists unite.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2006, 08:50 AM »
Yes!  I held out on the SEs, not because I don't want them, but because I have the OT laserdisc transfers.   Now I can have them all. Yes Yes Yes!

Hmmm, maybe they deleted that paragraph because it has that goofy fanboy tone, instead of the sober reverence appropriate for such an announcement. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2006, 10:19 AM »
I'll agree with others who have mentioned it, I half-thought this was a joke when I first read it last night.  It was quite a surprise, especially seeing them this year.  Really great news, and I can't wait to pick them up.  The way Lucas sounded for many years is as if this would never happen, but I guess he changed his mind.  Maybe people will stop complaining about him a little bit now, because you know he had to sign off on this.  It will be so nice to have the "original" versions on DVD, can't wait for September 12th.  Of course (not that I'm complaining, since we're getting them), as my wife commented last night when I mentioned this to her, Star Wars sure knows how to get money out of its fanbase.  :P

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2006, 10:55 AM »
Great!!! This is the Holy Grail of SW movies!! Yippee!

I'm glad Lucas is releasing these, because I'd like to show my kids that this is what SW was when I grew up!!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2006, 11:24 AM »
This paragraph is now missing from the story on the official site:

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

Conspiracy theorists unite.

WTF?  >:(  Tease me with seeing Han shoot first and then tease me again that it might not happen?  Or maybe it will.  Or not.  Argh.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2006, 12:25 PM »
A little something I whipped up....
« Last Edit: May 4, 2006, 01:53 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2006, 01:08 PM »
Nice work. 

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the packaging looks like.  The covers of the 2004 discs were already an ugly, Photoshopped-mess, and then they took the gorgeous original theatrical one-sheet artwork, and stuck those on the discs themselves.

I hope they make them as close as possible to the covers of the old, 1990 VHS box set.  Just the original one-sheets, with the original logos in yellow, and that's it.  Simple, elegant.  No banners or stickers or lens flares or any of that other crap. 

All the art they've released since then has sucked, in my opinion.  The Faces art, the '97 SEs, all of the DVD covers, etc.  Let's get back to the basics.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #24 on: May 4, 2006, 02:55 PM »
Just One Word To Describe This...

FINALLY!!

;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 4, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I'd like to get these, but I already have the 2004 version.

Offline R5Don4

• Jedi Initiate
  • just ignore this *******
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 5, 2006, 12:02 AM »

Never stopped us  before.

Who else has in their collections:
the original VHS version.
1995 VHS THX version (one last time)
1997 VHS SE
2004 DVD remastered version

Oh well I can't wait til September anyway.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2006, 12:41 AM »

Never stopped us  before.

1997 VHS SE
2004 DVD remastered version

Oh well I can't wait til September anyway.

That's nothing. I've got:

1980-something VHS copies
1992 (?) VHS Box set
1995 VHS THX version
1997 VHS SE box set
2004 S-SE DVD box set
1977/80/83 LD transfer set version 1
1977/80/83 LD transfer set version 2
1977/80/83 LD transfer set version 3 (all 3 are of varying qualities, and last one came with a bonus disc)
1997 SE LD transfer set
2004 OT version set (someone edited out all the "new" stuff, and kept the trilogy 99% OT versiosn, but with the 2004 DVD quality).

And I'll be the first in line on 9/12 to pick up these new versions. Actually, I'll probably get them earlier than that  ;)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2006, 03:07 AM »
This will be a day long remember- Darth Vader (A New Hope)

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. 

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

I have been waiting for this DVD set. It the perfect movies to finally add to my DVD collection.   Heck maybe he will re-release them in theaters for the 30th Anniversity.

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 5, 2006, 02:07 PM »
Best news ever! I'm buying 2 copies of each in case I lose/break/wear out one of 'em! I can stop hating on Lucas and like him again! Just in time for my birthday! I'm freaking out, I'm freaking out!!!

:) :D ;D :o 8) :-* :'( :) ;) ;D :o 8) :P :-* :'( :-* ;D

No you can still hate Lucas because he will forever be a hypocritical, money-hungry nazi... I'm really not that suprised by this news. It only figures in the scheme of Lucas' evil plan to suck all the money out of our wallets. I'm just glad I held off til now to buy the OT on DVD...

1997 VHS SE

I have the 1995 still sealed and the 1997 that's been well watched...
« Last Edit: May 5, 2006, 02:18 PM by Madcow »