Author Topic: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!  (Read 47619 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #30 on: May 5, 2006, 04:45 PM »
This paragraph is now missing from the story on the official site:

See the title crawl to Star Wars before it was known as Episode IV; see the pioneering, if dated, motion control model work on the attack on the Death Star; groove to Lapti Nek or the Ewok Celebration song like you did when you were a kid; and yes, see Han Solo shoot first.

Conspiracy theorists unite.

. . .And the phantom paragraph has returned.

Conspiracy theorists un-unite.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 6, 2006, 11:40 AM »
This is probably one of the few resoundingly positive threads about a Lucasfim decision in internet history.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 6, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Ahem...  :D

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 6, 2006, 10:00 PM »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 8, 2006, 04:31 PM »
To quote Homer, it's funny because it's true.

Honestly, it's marketing at it's best.  Release the special editions knowing damn well everyone will buy - hardcore SW fans and 'regular' folk.

Tell the fans that they'll never see the unrestored versions so they might as well buy the SE's.

Then change your mind (for no reason at all) and re-release the SE's WITH the originals.

Now that is maximizing sales.

And you know that there will be a huge boxed set featuring all six movies with a bunch of bonus **** that we'll all want.

In the end, we'll own at least THREE versions of the OT.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 8, 2006, 06:20 PM »
some say he's still greedy even though he's giving the fans what he wants, but I say he knows the business very well. Fans have been building up that desire for the original OT movies, now he is positiv almost all SW fans will go insane over this. You call him a moron, I call him a genius.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 8, 2006, 08:36 PM »
I'm starting to get a little confused... the article I read today in Home Media Retailing says that the 2 disc sets will include "the original, unadulterated versions alongside the 2004 special edition versions to commemorate the release of the new LEGO video game". Makes me wonder why they put that, although it would make more sense if LFL just went ahead and re-issued the 2004 versions individually with a "bonus" disc of the original versions.

Personally, I'd rather get the 1997 versions instead of the 2004, but it really doesn't matter, because I'll never watch either. Kinda like saying I'd rather get the flu instead of bronchitis - they both suck  :P

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2006, 10:40 PM »
Well,Lucas gets another 30 bucks from me.Probaly 70 bucks when he releases the Ultimate version s of all 6 films.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2006, 10:51 PM »
So, new poll regarding these. What do you think?

I voted that I wish we could have the unedited versions, yet still have remastered versions. If they could release a version of all 3 that changed absolutely no storyline, scenes, characters, or anything, yet the FX were still enhanced, I'd buy 'em. Umtil they come out, I'll stick to my 1999 SE edition VHS tapes.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2006, 12:20 AM »
So, new poll regarding these. What do you think?

I voted that I wish we could have the unedited versions, yet still have remastered versions. If they could release a version of all 3 that changed absolutely no storyline, scenes, characters, or anything, yet the FX were still enhanced, I'd buy 'em.

That's exactly what I'd prefer.  However, if I can see Han shoot first, I'll buy them anyway. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2006, 01:40 PM »
And you know that there will be a huge boxed set featuring all six movies with a bunch of bonus **** that we'll all want.

Slight correction, we probably won't want the bonus stuff that's included.  The stuff we want will be released in a future boxed set.  And of course there will be an original OT+PT trilogy and the SE-OT+PT trilogy to choose from.  They'll have different bonus material with each. 

And yeah, I'll not be telling my wife about this version either.   :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 11:37 AM »
http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/3-06/OTonDVDad.jpg

Of note:

Each 2-Disc Set includes:

*Enhanced Trilogy Version with Commentary by George Lucas, Cast & Crew (Disc 1)

*Original Theatrical Movie Version, Plus Xbox-playable Game Demo & More! (Disc 2)

$19.95 M.A.P. (minimum advertised price)

"Integrated Retail Event Including Day and Date Launch of All-New Toys and Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy Video Game"

--------------------

The Xbox-playable game demo is probably Lego II

"All-New Toys?"  I wonder if that's the next set of retro vintage figures that were rumored a few weeks ago. . .
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 03:12 PM by MWB »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 01:06 PM »
Thanks for the linky...hopefully these DVDs won't be too pricey.

"All-New Toys?"  I wonder if that's the next set of retro vintage figures that were rumored a few weeks ago. . .

I was wondering about this too, and posted in the "Future of SW Collecting" thread in the TSC forum that there is a Variety article on Hyperspace today that mentions an "All New Toyline" as well.  Maybe its just the TSC line continuing, or maybe its more VTSC figures (which would be fine with me).  Either way, hopefully we'll see some great OT product on the pegs/shelves around this time.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2006, 03:11 PM »
...hopefully these DVDs won't be too pricey.

They should be in the neighborhood of $15-20 each, during release week.  Not too much, I don't think.  And it should be a fairly-high-profile release that week, too (although not to the extent of the 2004 set)--so there's a potential for some nice discounts or freebies or whatever.

What I'm curious about is if there's gonna be a separate box released.  It doesn't appear so right now, but a box set was mentioned in a blurb in an e-mail I got from SWshop.com a few weeks ago. 

I'm also curious to see what the packaging looks like.  Not only the fronts, but also the spines, to see if they match they spines on the prequel discs.  No matching spines = no sale.

And curious I am if the "Enhanced Trilogy" (first time I've heard them referred to that way) discs are indeed identical to the 2004 discs.  On one hand, I'm hoping they're different, in that they've fixed the audio problems in A New Hope.  But on the other hand, I'm also hoping they're the same, so I can ditch my 2004 set (sans bonus disc), and give them to my sister's family, who just have the VHS tapes.

I guess you could say that I'm still curious about a great many things regarding this set.  Hopefully we'll get some more details soon.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2006, 07:18 PM »
I'd agree that these movies are likely going to be a big priority for retailers that week, so the pricing should be very competitive.