Author Topic: "Original" Orginal Trilogy on DVD!  (Read 47794 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Holy Trilogy on DVD!
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2006, 01:25 PM »
Obviously he knows better than you do.

Obviously.

Ah...I gotcha. I guess I've only seen anamorphic movies that fill the ENTIRE 16X9 screen. Still don't care though. There wasn't anamorphic in 1977! We did want unaltered OT didn't we?! Not to mention these discs would cost even more if they did do anamorphic. I have a regular TV, I never supported 16X9 because it still isn't cinema accurate...I plan on getting a digital projector and avoiding 16X9 anyhow! You can't blame LFL for not including anamorphic, it's you who adopted that format.

Obviously.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2006, 01:29 PM »
Well Lucas is also sort of getting away with this because the original unaltered versions are supposed to be "bonus material".  So, if anyone gets mad at them they can say "Now, now boys and girls this meant as BONUS material".  Even though we all know this is the only real reason for purchasing these and they know it as well.  

Personally I am just happy to get this instead of seeing my worn our VHS sets.  That and to skip all around without fast forwarding, etc.  Lucas just wants to get a slice of the bootleg market anyway.  I think that is the real reason we are even getting this version to begin with.  I don't buy all that jazz about the originals being destroyed.  Whatever you say Lucasfilm.  

SilverZ

« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2006, 02:47 PM »
People is smart.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2006, 02:57 PM »
I still don't get what the big deal is.  Everyone got mad when they combined Transformers with Star Wars, but now you're all acting mad that the Original Triliogy is not going to be Anamorphic?

All the Animorph movies I've seen have sucked...  ???

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2006, 03:38 PM »
Hey, isn' t that "Bobby/Iceman" from X-Men?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Hey yeah, I remember hearing of Animorphs. I'd hate to see that happen to Star Wars! ;)

I think you might be right about the X-Men thing although I haven't seen it enough times to be sure.

While I don't collect them, I kind of appreciate the existance of the Star Wars transformers... I know some people that actually really like them.

I think I will be making an archival copy in the next couple weeks sometime, and then I'll buy whatever DVDs make the most sense at the time once I have and am willing to spend $35+ on a set.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Hell, seeing as they're getting the OT from the Laserdisc versions, I'm hoping all the extra scenes will be in there as well!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2006, 02:17 PM »
Doubtful on that. I'm sure any deleted scenes will be saved for the great boxed set that everyone talks about but Lucasfilm never offers.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

SilverZ

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2006, 04:48 PM »
The thing is, with this set, the OOT is actually the "bonus material" despite what all of the starwars.com hoopla and marketing materials suggest. It's really an atrocity. Disc 1 is the 2004 SE, the same as the previous two releases, and Disc 2 is the original version of the film, dumped straight from an ancient composite NTSC source.

Here's the sticker from the front of the package:

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2006, 09:44 AM »
What's sad about having to buy the 2004 re-dos, just to get the OOT versions, are all the errors in the lightsaber color-correction. (i.e. Luke's green saber during the training remote scene and Vader's fashionable "pink" blade in ESB & ROTJ)

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2006, 10:28 AM »
This is exactly why we need an unaltered thetrical version (by "unaltered" I mean no change in scenes or storyline), yet digitally enhanced. Until that exact version of the OT comes out, I'm sticking to my VHS tapes from '99.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2006, 11:23 AM »
I'm very disappointed that we're getting the 2004 SE and not the 97's. Not that the 97's were all that, but I prefer the non-Hayden SE.

Ah...I gotcha. I guess I've only seen anamorphic movies that fill the ENTIRE 16X9 screen. Still don't care though. There wasn't anamorphic in 1977! We did want unaltered OT didn't we?! Not to mention these discs would cost even more if they did do anamorphic. I have a regular TV, I never supported 16X9 because it still isn't cinema accurate...I plan on getting a digital projector and avoiding 16X9 anyhow! You can't blame LFL for not including anamorphic, it's you who adopted that format.

That is so painful to read.

Funny anecdote for those who want to hear someone like that get his due:

A good friend of mine was looking for Princess Diaries 2 for my daughter for her birthday. I always ask people to buy widescreen and my buddy always does anyway given what he does for a living. For whatever reason, he goes to TRU which is the worst source for widescreen movies (I'm surprised he didn't know that) and asks the clerk if they have it in widescreen. The clerk proceeds to incorrectly lecture him about the unpopularity of widescreen and how it crops the picture, etcetera, all the wrong technical info. Well, my buddy is the QC person for a DVD authoring company. He's responsible for the pristine LOTR SE prints and countless other films and TV shows. He was an hour late to my daughter's party lecturing the clerk about how uninformed he was.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 11:55 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2006, 04:09 PM »
Well, if she's anything like the clerks here - he wasted an hour of his time.

Well, luckily I've got a brand new VCR-DVD recorder... so I'm about to pop in my OT tapes and record them to disc, right now.

Wish me luck, I'm a moron with this stuff.

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2006, 05:30 PM »
What's sad about having to buy the 2004 re-dos, just to get the OOT versions, are all the errors in the lightsaber color-correction. (i.e. Luke's green saber during the training remote scene and Vader's fashionable "pink" blade in ESB & ROTJ)
Well, this may prove to be exactly what's released, but on the other hand this is George Lucas- I give it a 75% probability that these versions are further edited. I don't expect anything major, but I have the feeling the Tie fighter "green force fields" in ANH and even more so the afforementioned lightsaber discolorations will both be edited/fixed.

Personally, I want to see the original version of ANH with all of Biggs' scenes, and Luke witnessing the opening scene battle at a distance with his macrobinoculars, re-added to the movie and all the original cheesy special effects; the DVD version of ESB as-is (although they might edit the new Emporer hologram to be a little shadier and harder to see quite so clearly- it gave him intrigue); and a version of ROTJ just like the DVD version sans that wretched SE song scene, and with a new, modified/refilmed Hayden ghost- Hayden Christensen with a less creepy/more warm smile, and make up/hair color changed to make him look a vague amount older.

And those versions will never, ever be made. :(

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2006, 05:12 PM »
Does anyone know any email addresses other than publicity@lucasfilm.com we can send complaints to? We need to flood anyone and everyone at lucas film with polite complaint letters.