Author Topic: Anyone know a good entertainment lawyer?  (Read 1776 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Anyone know a good entertainment lawyer?
« on: May 4, 2006, 11:35 AM »
Here's the story... my girlfriend and I were both in a band (her the singer and me one of the guitarists) a while back, and at first I quit (since the other members of the band turned out to be a bunch of complete ********, including a "friend" of mine of almost 15 years), but she stayed on. Then she ended up quitting a little while later, when she realized I was right about the rest of the members. The band has since gotten a new singer and changed the name. They are currently in the studio recording a new cd, and from what I hear through the grapevine (since neither her or I speak to any of the members any longer), they are using the old songs. Now, she is the one who wrote all the lyrics, and I just want to be prepared if they release a cd using lyrics that she had written without getting her permission to do so. And the way things ended up with her and the band, they won't be asking for permission.

So basically I just want to talk to a lawyer or something to get an idea of what can be done if it comes to that. The previous and has a cd that hasn't come out, but is still supposed to be out in a little bit, that gives her credit for writing all the lyrics, I believe. But I'm trying to find out if they use her lyrics, even if they give her credit, if they use them without permission is there anything that can be done. I don't even know 100% if they are using them or not, I'm just trying to get prepared, since they claim the new cd will be out in October.

Anyone?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone know a good entertainment lawyer?
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2006, 11:56 AM »
Would you say that the cost of a lawyer will probably exceed any money that is actually made from a group of people that are total unknowns, and probably will remain that way?
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2006, 12:11 PM »
No doubt. But in all honesty, it's purely the principle of the matter at this point. That, and the fact that I hate all of them with a hatred that runs so deep that I don't care what it costs.

There, I feel better now  :D
« Last Edit: May 4, 2006, 12:12 PM by jokabofe »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2006, 04:56 PM »
You may not necessarily need an entertainment lawyer.  Sounds like it may encompass copyright infringement. 
« Last Edit: May 4, 2006, 08:52 PM by tamidala »
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2006, 05:18 PM »
That's an ugly situation.

If you watch some late night TV, you should come across some lawyer ads.  ;)  (OK, it's not that funny, but I'm trying)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 5, 2006, 09:36 AM »
Dave, first of all, do you have any recordings or written documentation such as sheet music proving that your GF wrote the music? If so, you have nothing to worry about. Should the band use her material and not give her credit, that's a major lawsuit in her favor. If they do give her credit, they need to pay for the privlege to use it and give her royalties. Even if they make changes to the music or lyrics, they have to make major changes. In order for them to to get away with changes, they have to change every fifth note of music (I know this from having had to worry about clearing music rights from the TV show I Production Managed.)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 5, 2006, 01:56 PM »
Just tell her to write out the lyrics and music and get them copyrighted ASAP before that other band does so, if they haven't already. Is the band signed to a label? If so the label usually takes care of all that and it may be too late...