Author Topic: Darth_Ennis' Monster Garage ( Updated 12/16) Custom Challenge entries  (Read 63868 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Darth_Ennis' Monster Garage ( Updated 2/02)
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2006, 06:51 PM »
Great update!

Lando - Awesome!  Hopefully Hasbro will give us an identical figure because there is nothing else that you can do to him to make him look better.  The sculpted parts blend in perfectly with the rest of the figure.

Kyle Katarn - I like it!  The parts choice is nice and I immediately saw "Kyle Katarn" as opposed to "Obi-Wan". 

Dyed Mandalorian - Does the dye dissipate/fade eventually or does it stay that color permanently?  I was debating whether to start using dye on my figures (to help reduce the joint paint-chipping problem)
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2006, 01:07 AM »
Nice update Darth Ennis...

-The Katarn figure is interesting and seems pretty accurate but the head is very Obi-Wan, that's my only thought on it that I think I would change.  The Hasbro Katarn head isn't bad, it just lacks detail in paint aps that it needs to really bring out the likeness I think.  If you could track a cast down perhaps, or a cheap Katarn figure (less likely) it would be cool to use that head and paint it up I think.  The rest of the work looks pretty sharp though...  You could add more accessories for all his gear, or if you got the Katarn figure itself it comes with 2 of his weapons (the Bryar's a good bit more accurate than Cobra Commander's pistol, so it might be worth picking it up?).  Overall very cool though, and Katarn figures are in short supply in customizing I think.  Given the character's popularity and pretty extensive background with different outfits and "looks" and all.

-Smuggler Lando...  I have never been too big on getting a Smuggler Lando myself, but I think you pulled off a pretty cool figure that looks like he raided Han's closet.  The collar looks accurate, everything looks nice...  My thought though is that, and I may be one of the only ones here, I would have used the Cantina sculpt because it's a little bulkier and Billy Dee Williams always looked a little bigger than Harrison Ford's body size in ANH.  Ford was smaller in 76 when the film was being made than he was in 79 when ESB was wrapping up it seemed, so the ANH sculpt of the VOTC figure that's really accurate to a thin Ford doesn't necessarilly match up to Billy Dee's build as I can picture it.  I just see him having a little more bulk to him.  Since you see him from only the waist up you could also take some creative license with the holster area if you wanted to change him up I think, but only if you wanted to set it off from Solo a bit more.

-Dyed Fett...  That's pretty neat the way it came out but I agree it is indeed missing something.  A repaint of the gauntlets is where I'd start, and I'd cover the emblems of Fett's armor if this isn't supposed to be him particularly.  Now beyond that you could do away with the cape maybe and give him either a more full one (not so tattered?), paint some new design on the armor perhaps, and just maybe clean the figure up a bit (less battered/war torn looking).  And give him a new custom gun.  cut some bits up, make him a new blaster all his own.  Could be pretty cool I think and would set the figure off from resembling Fett so much.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ruprecht

• Jedi Initiate
  • Yes I did say it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2006, 07:54 AM »
Nice work Ennis. 

Lando - Only thing he's missing is a can of Colt .45.  On a serious note, I think he just looks a tad too skinny, especially in the neckbone area.  Maybe because I was a charter member of Psychic Friends Network --and I began smacking up my beeshes the day I bought my first case of Colt-- I am more familiar with a bulkier, smoother (how could Lando be any more smooth?) Billy Dee.

Katarn - I always thought that Obi-Wan melon looked similar to Katarn, and you've turned him into my favorite reluctant Jedi.  Good work on the shoulder pads, and good combination of parts.  He looks exactly like he should.

Mando warrior - I don't have any suggestions for this one, he looks as Mandalorian as an action figure can get.  If he's not intended to closely resemble Boba, I'd put a little more paint on him, like more gray or black, but that's just me.  What gun is that he's holding?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2006, 08:43 PM »
Ennis, I'll get some pics taken this weekend of the figure around my area.  Nice figure too and I enjoyed looking at the comic.

Who is next on the "travel list?"

:P

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. As far as the  Lando head is concerned that was the only one I had available. Five differend Lando figs and only one head between them. If I could get my grubby little paws on a VOTC lando head Id try that, which was my original idea, I think that would look better.

As far as Kyle, Im not entirely pleased with the uncanny resemblence to OBI Wan but I think it works. I have thought about altering the head a little, I may get around to that eventually.

The dye job on the mando so far is about 5-6 months old and hasnt faded yet. I am planning to detail him further and make him his own man so to speak. The latest SW Insider has a nice article on the Mandos and has given me a few ideas to work with, including a female. :o

The gun I beleive is a POTF Bobas. I dont beleive I altered that one. Which is probably a good thing, My weapons customs never really turn out right.

Oh BTW Chewie I put up a list so far on the Travelling thread, I look forward to seeing where he takes you. ;D

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2006, 02:53 AM »
Great cartoon figures very well done I especially love platicman and hawkman and Lando in smuggler gear is great I'll have to give that a go myself one day but the mando warrior is bloody awesome especially seeing that it's only dye well done indeed.

Ron

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2006, 12:20 AM »

Oh BTW Chewie I put up a list so far on the Travelling thread, I look forward to seeing where he takes you. ;D

I have a feeling he is going to get acquainted with some of my dioramas for starters... then I'll hopefully be able to take him out sight seeing just a bit.  Might not be as extravagant as I was hoping, but for sure you'll all get to see the landmark of my town with him in it.

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Dont worry Chewie mine wasnt as extravagant as I thought it would be either. :)

You could always put him in the background of one of the Rykroff episodes. Id be honored.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Ennis, I got the pics taken last evening and should be able to upload/post this week.  Then Obi Wan can make his next trip.   :)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2006, 10:28 AM »
That's a good idea. Put Pimpdaddy obiwan in a Rykrof story. Just in the background somewhere. It would be like he just wondered in to the set during filming.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 03:09 AM »
Ok, I put together a cheesy little photonovel for this.  I've been swamped with other things so sorry this isn't too creative.

Cautiously Pimp Kenobi approaches the CHEWIE household, prepared for anthing that may come in his way.

Here he is greeted by Angel, who tells of the tyranny of the evil Sith in CHEWIE's collection room.

After listening carefully to Angel's warning of the evil, Pimp Kenobi sees for himself the ashes of the three dogs who have passed on in the CHEWIE household.

Being a pet lover, he immediately joins the cause for freedom!

Throughout the collection no enemy is safe!

For soon the collection will once again remember the name of Pimp Kenobi!

With the leaders of the Rebellion on his side...

Pimp Kenobi brings down the Empire!

"Thank you," Angel says.  "I'm a straight cool playa," Obi Wan replies.

"And my journey has just begun..."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2006, 03:11 AM »
Psst Justin.

Wrong thread....

http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10776.0

Someone has been eating too much beef lately. ::) :P
"This is the way."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2006, 03:15 AM »
Whoops, I guess I'm up too late. I have a damn headache, sinus infection, insomnia and carpal tunnel, so what do you expect.  And of course beef.   ;D

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 3, 2006, 11:07 AM »
Time for a little update. Forgive me Phruby for I have sinned. ;D Its a clone. First up is a Snow Marine commander. Still unnamed.

Now granted I dont normally post my clones, but this one is an exception. I tried for a snow pattern camo on his kama. Needless to say it didnt quite turn out like I planned. My freind was so impressed by him he is in the process of writing a story about him. Wo knows, this may turn out to be a photonovel before its all over with. I gave him some animal claw scratches going down his left arm and shoulder, though Im not sure why, but I think it looks pretty cool.

In keeping with my Super hero side projects, I have made a couple more. The first needs no introduction.

The sentinel of liberty was made from a sanded down Martian Manhunter body and a Hawk head. The sheild is from a SHS cap and the wingtips were once from a Flash.
« Last Edit: March 4, 2006, 11:00 AM by Darth_Ennis »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 3, 2006, 11:21 AM »
The clone looks pretty cool, but something about it kind of has an amimated feel to it... maybe it's the color pattern on the kama.  Not a bad custom by any means Ennis, but the color pattern is just a bit too pastel blue to me.  I hope you don't take offense to that.  I think with just a bit of tweaking on the color pattern it will look great.  But if you already like it, then that's what matters.  And I could see that pattern in a snow environment.

The Captain America looks great.  Not a toy line I collect but it looks very nice.