Author Topic: EpIII Heroes & Villains Collection  (Read 34273 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
EpIII Heroes & Villains Collection
« on: January 21, 2006, 10:51 PM »
Just out of curiousity, would this be a good idea for Hasbro to try again?  It seemed that in the original SAGA figures, they sold well.  So I'm wondering if it might be a decent idea to try this for the SAGA figures in 2006 around November to put some core characters back on the pegs for the kiddos in time for next Christmas.   

So, here's my idea.  There would be several assortments.  I know most of us want new figures, but there are some new ones mixed in plus it gives newer and younger collectors a chance to get some of the core characters -

Prequel HOF figures Wave One -

TPM Obi Wan Kenobi x 2 (new sculpt)
TPM Darth Maul x 2 (Evolutions sculpt)
AOTC Mace Windu x 2 (new sculpt)
AOTC Arena Padme x 2 (new sculpt)
ROTS Count Dooku x 2 (Evolutions sculpt)
ROTS Clone Trooper x 2 (ROTS #41 w/ 501st paint)

Classic HOF figures Wave Two -

ANH R2D2 x 2 (VOTC sculpt)
ANH Obi Wan Kenobi x 2 (VOTC sculpt w/ articulated knees)
ESB Han Solo x 2 (new Bespin sculpt)
ESB Snowtrooper x 2 (new sculpt)
ROTJ Luke Skywalker x 2 (SAGA Jabba's Palace)
ROTJ Darth Vader x 2 (Evolutions sculpt)

Prequel HOF figures Wave Three -

TPM Battle Droid x 2 (ROTS sculpt)
TPM Qui Gon Jin x2 (new sculpt)
AOTC Jango Fett x 2 (new sculpt)
AOTC Clone Trooper x 2 (Clone Wars sculpt)
ROTS Anakin Skywalker x 2 (Evolutons sculpt)
ROTS Obi Wan Kenobi x 2 (ROTS Pilot)

Classic HOF figures Wave Four -

ANH C3PO x 2 (ROTS sculpt w/ dirty paint app)
ANH Luke Skywalker x 2 (Early bird sculpt w/ new right arm)
ESB Boba Fett x 2 (VOTC sculpt)
ESB Lando Calrissian x 2 (VOTC sculpt)
ROTJ Chewbacca x 2 (VOTC or Early Bird sculpt)
ROTJ Stormtrooper x 2 (VOTC sculpt)

This is just an idea.  Thoughts?

:P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:24 AM by Jeff »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: SAGA2 HOF waves?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 10:58 PM »
I would only be interested in them if they were rereleased/repainted Army builders, or HTF figures. Other than that, NO WAY. We're getting enough Vaders, Lukes, Hans, etc. in the main Saga line, why would you want more?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 11:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure Hasbro said that VOTC will never be rereleased again (they told this to Colman at Comic Con)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Diddly, I didn't say that I want more rehashes of figures.  I am saying that every year, like it or not, there are new collectors entering the hobby.  Many are kids, and their parents are going to jump online to try and backtrack figures for them.  We all know repacks are a thing Hasbro has been doing for years and will continue to do.  So I was suggesting something like this.

As for VOTC figures not being re-released, I remember them saying that.  But haven't we essentially already had a few VOTC figures already re-released?  VOTC R2D2 in the new SAGA line, Chewbacca as an Early Bird figure (with new head) and the Stormtrooper (much of it used for the Evolutions Sandtrooper)?  They even reused the VOTC Boba Fett legs on the SAGA2 Carkook Fett.  Maybe they're not 100% the same, but parts are being reused it seems.  And if we're going to get rehashes of main characters anyway, why not push for the best sculpts?

Just an idea though.  I suspect more of the less diehards would dig the idea more, and many of us that are into this enough to be online chatting about it only want new figures.  But they have to keep some of the main characters in the mix to keep the casual fans interested.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 11:24 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Clone Hunter

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Cybertronian Artifacts
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2006, 12:15 AM »
TPM Battle Droid x 2 (ROTS sculpt) <-- no way, one of the few from your lists I'd buy. That figure is terrible I'd rather have the red striped droid as a Grievous' ship crewman or a POTJ boomer damage. At least you can use the electric effects as Magna droid staff energy.

AOTC Jango Fett x 2 (new sculpt) <-- maybe VOTC Fetts body, but unmaskable?

AOTC Clone Trooper x 2 (Clone Wars sculpt) <-- I assume you mean super poseable? Or how about the Evolutions one? They kick ass!!

ESB Lando Calrissian x 2 (VOTC sculpt) <--- Why? They still clog the TRUs around here. at least 5 at every store.
My trade thread: http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=10408.0
Email is your best bet to contact me.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2006, 12:32 AM »
I like the ROTS Battle Droid actually, I have about 30 of them.  With Real Stands, they are great.  I do agree though that the POTJ one is made much better.  I'd like to see that one used like you suggest, but with a ROTS paint job.

For Jango, I think there are too many changes in the Boba Fett design to use the VOTC sculpt, so I think they'd have to go with an all new sculpt, or use an older Jango body.

For the Clone, I meant this version -

On Lando, I was going for the most recognizable version of him.  I don't see why TRU hasn't clearanced those ones out.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2006, 01:56 AM »
I'm torn on the idea of HOF waves.  Having these figures out there is absolutely critical (and successful, just try finding any main characters at retail right now) but having them available separate from the regular assortments... Hasbro should just be more circumspect when it comes to including them in the line.  TSC really should have started off with something like a HOF wave, featuring the OT main characters that have been AWOL for almost a year, and that kids asked for repeatedly during the ROTS run.

A smarter way to do it would have been something like this:

TSC Wave 1 - ANH
Hammerhead
R5-D4
Hem Dazon
Han Solo (VOTC)
Luke Skywalker (new)
Obi Wan Kenobi (spirit sculpt/non-dead)
Stormtrooper (VOTC)

Wave 2 - ESB
General Veers
AT AT Driver
Major Derlin
Power Droid
Darth Vader (Evo)
R2 (VOTC)
C-3PO (ROTS)

ROTJ
Boussh Leia
Carbonite Han
Bib Fortuna
Skiff Guard Lando (repack)
Jedi Luke (repack)
Boba Fett (VOTC)
Chewie (VOTC)

The PT waves would follow similar patterns.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2006, 02:08 AM »
Diddly, I didn't say that I want more rehashes of figures.  I am saying that every year, like it or not, there are new collectors entering the hobby.  Many are kids, and their parents are going to jump online to try and backtrack figures for them.  We all know repacks are a thing Hasbro has been doing for years and will continue to do.  So I was suggesting something like this.

True, but Hasbro usually repacks the same figures over and over again. Cantina Han is the best example, and there have been several other figures that have had the same sculpts repacked (Mechanic Chewie, Kamino Escape Jango, etc.). Most of these figures are repacked in the basic line already, why redo the Hall of Fame line to put out more of the repacks we're already getting?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2006, 03:26 PM »
Dear God, no!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2006, 04:35 PM »
Ok guys, keep dreaming that there will be no repacks this year.   ;)

We've already seen some duds like Barada and Rieken; at least these are some repacks that would appeal to more people.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2006, 08:21 PM »
I'm mostly for something like repacks of some ROTS Collection 2 figures before HOF waves.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 10:47 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing a few more of those ROTS Collection 2 figures repacked either.  Some were just either hard to find, or seemed to sell like crazy.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 09:36 AM »
I wonder if there's any correlation between the original HOF assortment and what's going on now with the re-packs. Did they do well enough to say that Hasbro could get away with it?
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 10:51 AM »
In my area, the original HOF figures sold really well... so maybe they are banking on that again.  I don't think it's a bad idea, as long as they don't flood the market with them.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 05:10 AM »
I'm not sure about everything listed but I'd be for most of it...

The question is, would they?  Evolutions and VOTC figures SHOULD be re-released...  I'm not sure what they told Colman at C3, I can't remember, so Scott may be right however at the same time the VOTC Vader appears to be making an appearance, as does R2-D2, so if either of those is re-used I think there's a chance any other could be...

The irony is, the mold is most of the battle...  Once it's produced, it's a fixed cost that can only diminish over units produced and sold, so it's theoretically in Hasbro's best interests to use these sculpts, and there's no real precedent that says they won't (Obi-Wan Pilot re-issue for instance), yet at the same time there's no precedent showing that they'll use these better overall sculpts/action figures again either.  They're all over the board with this.

It's like the two pilot Jedi re-issued at some point...  On one hand you get SA Obi-Wan Pilot with a cloth cloak (yay), and on the other hand you get the 1st duel Anakin re-issued with a cloth cloak (WTF?), and it makes no sense to me...  Why not re-issue the Evolutions Anakin with a cloth cloak instead?  It'd sit in a fighter, it'd complement the Obi-Wan, and god knows the Evolutions sets were hardly easy to find.

I'd be for VOTC and Evolution reissues...  I don't care that I paid $10 for them initially.  I'd gladly buy more of them for $5 most likely.  I know I won't be buying these older, and/or inferior sculpts of figures though.  I just can't afford it or justify it.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77