Author Topic: EpIII Heroes & Villains Collection  (Read 34269 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: SAGA2 HOF waves?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 12:02 PM »
I'm totally with the notion of re-releasing the VOTC-styled figures throughout the line.  That includes the VOTC we got in 2004, as well as figures "on the same level" with that type of figure design...the Evolutions, basic figures like ROTS Pilot Obi-Wan, #41 Clonetrooper, etc.  Figures like this, super articulated main characters and army builders, can be sprinkled in throughout the line every year as far as I am concerned.  I know I, like everyone else, would like to see more VOTC Stormtroopers on the pegs...and really Stormtroopers should be available on the pegs each and every year...for kids or collectors.  I was able to get 2 VOTC Stormtroopers the first time, but I'd really like to have a small squad of at least 10 or so.  I look at the armies I have built from the prequel films, and they are so much larger than the ones from the OT movies, which I enjoy more.  I agree with what Jesse said about these figures, the molds are already made, so the largest expense should already be taken care of.  They just as well continue to release them, you know they will sell.

I don't know whether we need to see a seperate "HOF" assortment or not, whatever works best.  I don't mind there being some repacks in each wave, especially if they are of the VOTC/Evo level of figures.  I mean really, every time there is an OT-based wave, you could just as well include a Stormtrooper.  Same with the PT-based waves and clonetroopers.  They always sell, especially when its a quality figure, so just pack some in all the time.  Figures like Pilot Obi, VOTC Han, Evolutions Anakin, VOTC Chewie, and others are pretty much the pinnacle of figures for their particular versions/outfits, so if you're going to repack them, just as well use those sculpts.  Also, I think we've discussed this before, but if they want to, for example, repack a Han...go with something besides the Cantina version.  The upcoming "new head" one doesn't look too bad, and fits with the wave theme, but the VOTC would have probably been a better choice.  Also, if they want a Han with another wave, how about the POTJ Bespin version?  I've always liked that Han, and it hasn't been released for awhile (aside from the DVD pack).  Some collectors might not have, or just buy it to have it on these spiffy cards, and the kids always enjoy Han.  I don't mind repacking quality figures of the main characters and army builders, I do think some characters should always be available...Luke, Han, Vader, Leia, Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc., they just need to put a little more thought/effort into the choices.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 09:41 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again here:

I think there should be a separate HOF side assortment of core characters available consistently at all times, alongside Saga2, Clone Wars TV series, and whatever else comes up for the "main lines".

I'm thinking a dozen or so key characters such as:
AOTC or ROTS Anakin
AOTC or ROTS Obi-Wan
Qui-Gon
Padme
Han Solo
X-Wing Pilot Luke or Tatooine Luke
White gown ANH Leia
Darth Vader
Chewie
Old Ben
Lando
C-3PO (gold)
R2-D2

Find the best molds of each of these and keep minting them over and over in the HOF2 assortment. This would free up much room in the "main line" instead of rereleasing the same guys on POTJ, Saga, ROTS, Saga2, etc. cards.

And with HOF2 being under a different code than the regular line, it would also mean that these could be reordered separately without having to reorder more Alien Senator Dork pegwarmers at the same time.

And, as Brian mentioned, some like the Stormtrooper and vanilla Clonetrooper, should simply be rereleased in every OT or PT wave.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 09:43 PM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Another for the rumor mill, but Jedi Temple Archives has a couple of rumors they have heard, including a possible "HOF" wave coming up this year, including the following:

Anakin Skywalker
Chewbacca
ARC 170 Pilot
Commander Bacara
Darth Vader
Destroyer Droid
General Grievous
Mace Windu
Obi-Wan Kenobi
R2-D2
Yoda
SA Clonetrooper

If true, sounds like a prequel "HOF" series.  Some of the figure choices seem a little odd to me, especifically if they are just repacks like the past HOF series have been.  Commander Bacara and Mace Windu in particular weren't all that stellar to begin with, and could probably stand some resculpts eventually.  Plus, we're already getting figures like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Grievous, Vader, Yoda, Clonetrooper, Chewbacca, and R2 in the regular assortments we've seen so far.  Anyways, grain of salt and all that...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 12:21 PM »
Hmmm... first off, thanks for some rational thought on this guys rather than responses like WHY? that you typically see at a certain other site.

So if they are doing a HOF prequel wave, that could be good, seeing that ROTS was so popular and if they focus on that movie. 

:P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 12:39 PM »
Yeah, I think if they were going to have a "HOF" prequel wave (and if these weren't going to be in the regular assortments) they really need to take the best versions of the characters (same as with an OT-based wave).  For example, maybe something like this:

Anakin Skywalker (ROTS - Evolutions)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (ROTS - Basic Pilot)
Emperor Palpatine (ROTS - Evolutions)
Clonetrooper (ROTS - #41 Basic)
Mace Windu (Needs to be included, no figure in particular is great, I suppose ROTS)
General Grievous (ROTS - Deluxe? - I don't have it, but many seem to like it)
Yoda (AOTC Jedi Master or ROTS #3?)
Darth Vader (Evo or 500th would be nice, but not technically "prequel" ROTS is ok I suppose too)
Padme (Needs to be included as well, not sure which would be best.  Maybe AOTC "treadmill" with a non-screaming head.  The "preggers" Padme from the ROTS line isn't bad either.  Possibly a TPM version....we just need more new Padmes)
Battle Droid/Destroyer Droid (Best version of each, good army builders and in all 3 movies)
Count Dooku (ROTS Basic or ROTS Evolutions)
Jango Fett (Although not exactly the same, a repainted VOTC Boba would be nice.  We could use a new SA Jango)

A lot of ways to go with this, and it depends if we're getting the repacks in two places at once (basic line and HOF).  Also, there are other characters that could be considered.  Ones like Chewie, R2, and Threepio are Hall of Fame Original Trilogy figures to me, so I leave them off this list.

SilverZ

« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2006, 11:15 PM »
ROTS Greatest Hits on Saga cards news from EE:

ROTS Greatest Hits at EE

Star Wars Greatest Hits Action Figures Wave 1 contains 12 individually packaged action figures from Revenge of the Sith in new 2006-style packaging: 1x Darth Vader, 1x Anakin Skywalker, 1x Yoda, 1x Commander Bacara, 1x Super Articulated Clone Trooper, 1x ARC-170 Clone Pilot, 1x Chewbacca, 1x Obi-Wan Kenobi, 1x General Grievous, 1x Mace Windu, 1x R2-D2, 1x Destroyer Droid. (Subject to change.)

At one per case I'm not all that bothered. I'm actually kind of happy to see a few of those on scene specific cards, especially the standard clone and Bacara. I just hope they don't do anything funny like do a paint variant on the clones in this assortment.

« Last Edit: February 7, 2006, 11:17 PM by Jared »

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2006, 12:06 AM »

I'll get Bacara and the Droideka because I never got them the first time around.

I don't have a Grievous, but I'm undecided whether to get this one or the Sneak Preview one being rereleased in the Coruscant wave.

Undecided on Mace and the clones.

The others I either already have or don't need.

Overall I don't mind this rerelease, but Bacara seems like a really odd choice.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2006, 12:31 AM »
Actually, now looking at the picture, and thinking about the equivelent figures that will be available in the standard TSC section of the line, there are some really odd choices in there.

I think Bacara is worthy enough of a rerelease and SA clones are always welcome. Chewbacca's not the ideal sculpt but should look good on a Kashyyyk background.  The Clone Pilot, Mace, and Droideka aren't in the TSC line yet, so, eh, ok. They'll pegwarm though. These ones make the most sense to me from an actual release perspective.

But Vader, Anakin, Obi, Yoda, and Grievous are all going to be (or actually will already be) in the normal assortments by the time these hit. They're really pointless duplicates of characters that aren't really needed on the shelves. And the Sneak Grievous repaint would be my choice over the exploding version here if I were to pick one.

Since I've come in a bit late to the HOF discussion, my ideals would be:

Padme Amidala
Mustafar Anakin
Tactical Ops Trooper
Royal Guard (red)
Count Dooku
Electronic R2-D2
C-3PO
Tarkin...

and I'll concede that there needs to be an Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Grievous.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #23 on: February 8, 2006, 12:35 AM »
On TSC cards, these will evaporate.   ROTS is still so hot I can see why they're doing it.  Doing Anakin and Obi and Grievous here doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the Coruscant wave, but then what do I know.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 8, 2006, 02:11 AM »
Why would they use that exploding Grievous?  What a terrible figure.  Since the sneak preview one is already appearing in the TSC packaging, the deluxe one (without the goofy firing weapon) would have been great.

« Last Edit: February 8, 2006, 02:11 AM by JesseVader08 »

SilverZ

« Reply #25 on: February 8, 2006, 02:15 AM »
Yeah, that Grievous is bad. But Mace is worse. That figure should be banished to the gimp trunk with his brethren Purchase of the Droids Owen Lars and R5-D4.

These all seem to be Collection 1 figures. I wonder if a Wave 2 will be Collection 2 repacks.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 8, 2006, 02:17 AM »
Actually, that Obi-Wan may have to join them.  Isn't that the super-kick one?  What a POS.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #27 on: February 8, 2006, 03:25 AM »
Damn, and here I was hoping for another shot at the later Collection 2 figures.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Delicious

• Jedi Padawan
  • Kneel...kneel before Wobb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 8, 2006, 03:48 AM »
I like that Hasbro is releasing the Yoda in the HOF line when they've already packed that piece of crap in the Geonosis wave. Yeah, that's MUCH better than a Bly or a corrected Gree. And how many times do we need that awful Anakin? He's already in the Coruscant wave. At least put the Evo Anakin on a card and give us a decent one. Don't even get me started on "Jedi Kick" Obi-Wan. And the clone...they should have released the shocktrooper again.

I can't wait to hammer them at Comic-Con about this.

On the bright side, it will be nice to see these figures on Saga packaging, instead of the ugly ROTS design.

-DD
Back from the dead!!!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: February 8, 2006, 04:25 AM »
Hmmm, I'm not wild about the choices for re-release personally...  Some are ok, others though, meh...

-Vader...  Seems overkill to me and he was one of the only figures easy to find down till Christmas.  Is he really needed again when other versions of him ship in other waves?  Wasted slot in the case for doubling up on an army builder IMO.

-Clone...  I don't mind the SA sculpt being re-issued, I think it actually probably outsold the #6 sculpt.  I'd want the Shocktrooper re-issued too but at 1-per case that's not getting many more out there.  A good white SA Clone should be on the pegs routinely I guess...  Then again so should a Stormtrooper, an AOTC Clone, etc...  Instead we get none of those or an inferior sculpt like the CT figure.

-Clone Pilot...  Don't mind this either, I'm ok with it since while it wasn't a huge seller, I know I'd like more and it still did sell by simply being an army builder.  This may afford me the chance to nab a couple more for a nice round total.

-Mace Windu...  Short of getting a new figure this is as good as one could hope for.  Funny how his photo there looks almost like a new figure because it looks noticeably better than the ROTS figure we got.  :)  I know it won't be better, but somehow that photo spiffed him up.  He sold though, kids want him, so that's good I guess...

-Bacara...  Why not release Bly with the correct paint like DD says?  I wouldn't expect the Gree since, to correct him really, you need a lot more than a good coat of paint...  But Bly just needs put out there with the RIGHT paintjob.  Or for that matter why not put out the #33 red or green Commander?  Neither one sat in my area as much as the Bacara figure did...  Believe it or not, it does seem that inferior figures for poseability DO sit compared to their better counterparts.  The Bacara/#33 Commander debate proved that point to me...  POseable, even if it's not in the movie, won out in sales last year it seemed.

-Destroyer Droid...  Again, did this really go over well last year?  Hell, put the battledroid (even though I hate it) in its place, that was a lot harder to find than the Destroyer and inevitably cost less to make.  WTF is up with these decisions though?  Destroyers sat till Christmas and beyond some places.

-Grievous...  Exploding Grievous?  WTF?  Again, why not release a better sculpt?  The Preview figure, the Deluxe (is it really a $10 figure afterall?), or the 4-armed basic figure...  But the exploding one sat last year beyond any of the others, so why re-release that one?  Weird choice.

-R2-D2...  Wasn't terribly hard to find as I recall, and other R2's are coming in other waves...  Is this necessary?  How about sneaking R4-P17 in since he WAS hard to find, or how about the Wookiee Heavy Gunner who was nye on impossible to find?  Yeah they're not the "main" character everyone maybe wants but R2's gonna get other releases in other waves so htis seems wasteful to me.

-Obi-Wan Kenobi...  One of the easiest Col. 1 figures to find last year and they're re-releasing it?  How...  stupid.  Why not release the pilot version at least?  It's simply better overall.

-Anakin...  It's silly to even ask for it at this point but it would've been cool had they decided to actually put a GOOD sculpt of Anakin out instead of this.  Had they opted to actually sneak the Evolutions Anakin in there, that would have been great...  Too much to hope for from the company, especially given what they are deciding to re-release, but it would have been a fantastic choice.

-Yoda...  OK I guess.  Better than the spinning one which, at this point, I'm surprised wasn't the one they decided to put in the case.  This Yoda wasn't too hard to find either but at least it's a better figure generally.

-Chewbacca...  Makes sense mostly.  It was a main figure that turned out to be hard to find for a lot of folks...  The rest of that case is a whole lot of head scratchers for sure though, with a couple ok choices. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77