Author Topic: 2006 Vintage Saga Collection (vTSC)  (Read 133568 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2006 VOTC
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2006, 09:19 PM »
I'd have said I was disappointed with the Luke X-Wing too if it weren't for the fact he's so short, and can't sit.  Those two things kill me since Luke does sit, and he's not that short...  Compared to other Luke's, he's even short, and when you put him with the other XW figures he's REAL short (Dutch was a tad tall, so it just looks awkward).  So with that, I'm kinda happy to see a redo on him.  Not the highest on my list, but I'll be happy to buy him now, and probably some extras if I can.

I wonder if these are gonna be $10 deluxe figures like the last VOTC...  That'll be interesting to see.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2006, 01:13 AM »
I'm disappointed in two of the choices:

For me there are no disappointing choices.  I'd love nothing more than to see every single last vintage figure put onto a retro card with a super modern sculpt.  It would be awesome to have complete sets of both the VOTC and the actual Vintage counterparts.

SilverZ

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2006, 02:30 AM »
To me, X-Wing Pilot Luke is just as iconic of a figure/costume as his Tatooine garb, and is probably more nostalgic overall for me because it was a favorite figure as a kid. Getting an SA one that hopefully finally does the figure right will be a big deal.

The Biker Scout is another favorite of mine from vintage. And my favorite Imperial costume from the OT.

I'd say I'm happier with the potential of both of these figures over any of the 1st VOTC with the exceptions of Fett and the Stormie.

I understand the reasoning behind Greedo. He's definitely the defining alien of the vintage era. The Tusken is sort of there as a runner up, but so I'm a bit confused why these two were lumped together right now, especially at the expense of an ESB entry.

I'm sure Han will be great. No complaints there.

I hope there's another round of five later in the year. Remember when Hasbro decided to offer Deluxe in springtime as the $10 pricepoint entry, then VOTC as the $10 fall entry? Hopefully the lack of deluxe figures is indicating that these will be a year round release now. I could see ESB and perhaps POTF being the two card focuses for a fall round.

I'd nominate Hoth Han, Bespin Luke, and Snowtrooper for ESB, then the Emperor and like it or not, Anakin Skywalker with swappable Sebastian Shaw/Hayden heads on POTF cards. Using a POTF card would also be a great way to rerelease the VOTV Stormtrooper.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 02:32 AM by Jared »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2006, 02:38 AM »
I too agree this is the ideal "Deluxe" for me at this point.  I like big $10 items, but at the same time the Deluxe line's fell flat most every time it's brought out.  It's some of the only widely available clearanced ROTS items, and even high quality Deluxe seem to fall prey to shelfwarming due to price...

A VOTC Deluxe line can have similar things happen to it, but certain figures are going to move at any price, and army builders would be the most likely to do so.  I predict Greedo and Luke to maybe sit, Han too has that potential, but I bet the Sandperson and Scout move like they're limited to only 1000 of each made this year.  :) 

For me, I think if VOTC takes over the $10 Deluxe roll I'll be fairly happy...  Not totally as the price still sucks for one figure, but I'll be somewhat more content than some of what we've gotten for $10...  Amanaman was hardly worth it, and craptacular things like the Maul w/Droid, Obi w/Droid, etc., are all $10 figures that simply were hell to buy if you got them.

At the same time, I'm bummed the Evolutions idea seems dead...  It's Hasbro's best idea in ages and they're canning it.  I liked VOTC overall, but I loved Evolutions 10 x more.  Too bad that's not something they're running with this year too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2006, 04:37 AM »
The only problem I have with the idea of VOTC taking over the $10 price point (which I kind of figured was happening; I think I started a thread on it a while back) is that it has the potential to split the line in two.  Assuming (big assumption) this is an ongoing line, that it's successful, then we can assume that what's happening this year will only continue:

No SA main characters/troopers in the basic line.  Look at TSC so far; they're nowhere, and if they are, they're repacks.  It only really gets complicated with the PT; now if Hasbro intends to bring in the PT this time around (it is the TSC after all) then I'd be all for Qui Gon or Mace on vintage style cards. 

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2006, 08:19 AM »
I can't wait to find these.  These are good choices of some of the greatest Star Wars figures of the vintage line.  Greedo was a great choice if they do a good job.  The Biker Scout and Sandperson are going to be the best for army building. 

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2006, 11:49 AM »
The only one I really want is the Tusken Raider, in multiples (2 - 4, especially if they're $10). I still don't have a Greedo, believe it or not, so I think I'll pick him up. I may also grab a Biker Scout if I ever actually see one. The others I don't need.

I just hope that they get the Tusken correct, and make it the ANH version, without melding it together with the prequel version of the Tusken again (with the PT scarfs around the neck, instead of the OT breathing apparatus silver canister neck gear thing-a-ma-bob).  Get that right, and include both a Gaffi stick and a rifle, and I'll be a happy dude.

Aha! I didn't think anyone else noticed that detail. ;D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 11:50 AM by Valin Kenobirific! »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2006, 12:26 PM »
I could see ESB and perhaps POTF being the two card focuses for a fall round.

I'd nominate Hoth Han, Bespin Luke, and Snowtrooper for ESB, then the Emperor and like it or not, Anakin Skywalker with swappable Sebastian Shaw/Hayden heads on POTF cards. Using a POTF card would also be a great way to rerelease the VOTV Stormtrooper.

For a possible ESB/PotF release in the fall, I'd love to see:

ESB - Hoth Leia, SA Snowtrooper, SA Rebel Trooper
PotF - SA Endor Luke and that "Glowy Anakin" idea Jared had with the swapable heads.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2006, 04:40 PM »
I will continue to support VOTC as long as I am able to find them.  I will buy one of each.  I might buy one or two extra of the Tusken and Biker Scout.  I would like to see ESB in the fall wave as well.  My choices would be Hoth Leia, Hoth Han, Bespin Luke and a Hoth Stormie.  They could throw in a Hoth Rebel Soldier too if they'd like.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 08:52 PM »
The Tusken is sort of there as a runner up, but so I'm a bit confused why these two were lumped together right now, especially at the expense of an ESB entry.

I can't suggest really why Greedo would be in there, other than your reasoning but the Tusken makes perfect sense to me.  He's one of the first 12 figures, that alone makes it iconic in my mind.  I still hold hope they'll finish the last couple of figures from the original 12 in VOTC fashion as I have two vintage displays to put them on, one for the vinty versions, one for the VOTC (lack of foot holes notwithstanding). 

That said I don't know what they could do with a Jawa to make it VOTC quality, but the Death Squad Commander could certainly use the treatment and would be a welcome figure IMO. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2006, 10:43 PM »
Put me down for at least a Dozen Tusken Raiders and a Dozen more Biker Scouts.  If that means I have to buy cases from EE.com or elsewhere, then everybody get ready to get a Greedo for Christmas.

If these guys are SuPer ArTiCuLaTed like they SHOULD BE (ball joints for every movable part) then I may go to 2 dozen each.

This will put me 4 figures closer to my dream list of figs that need Super Art.

But I agree with Brent...DEATH SQUAD COMMANDER really needs this treatment.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2006, 01:22 AM »
"Super Articulation isn't defined by anyone, so complaining about it is stupid, blah blah blah blah"

Sorry, I'm just venting about some of the blabbering I read at some other site, from some of their assumed recent massive head trauma patients.    ;)

Seriously though Paul, I figured you'd be on those two.  I'd probably settle for a handful of Tuskens to complement the impressive army I somehow accumulated of all the other scultps.  Not to say I wouldn't take a dozen, but 6 probably would make me happy.

The Scout Trooper though...  Ugh.  I want I think 20.  I want less than my Stormie army, however if I threw my CT's into that mix then I'm thinking I may want 30 or so Scouts if I can find them in that kind of abundance.  Stan (who shows up here from time to time) said a new Speederbike may be around the corner.  Could it be made with this figure in mind?  I dunno.

I'd like a hefty Scout army  though as they were in fairly heavy rotation with Stormies on Endor, and my Stormie army really shocked me as to how many I had when I tallied them up the other day, so now I know I want scouts to go with them.

I wish Hasbro would recirculate these VOTC figures that are prefection throughout the line.  The sculpt is there, use it.  Stormies need out on the pegs, that Chewbacca could be re-used with both its headsculpts, Han should be re-used.  I'd buy Leia again if they maybe put a hood-up head on her.  VOTC sculpts are as close to perfect as it gets generally, I wish we would see these re-used more often than they seemingly want to.  I mean, Cantina Han again!?  ****.  >:(

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2006, 03:21 AM »
Thankfully, I won't go near as nuts on the Scout Trooper as I did the Stormtrooper. I don't see the need for a great army of Biker Scouts, but I do wish they'd leave the SA army builders out of the VOTC range and just keep them in the basic line.

don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2006, 09:01 AM »
I was reading at the other site where these MIGHT be $12 this time around instead of $10.  Man if that is true it kind of stinks.  I mean $10 is kind of pushing it as is but now $12?  Oh well I'd still buy it which is probably what Hasbro knows but still.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2006, 09:33 AM »
Sorry Broem, I've heard !11.99 as well. :'(

At least there's only 5 of 'em.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."