Author Topic: 2006 Vintage Saga Collection (vTSC)  (Read 133574 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: 2006 vOTC (or vTSC) - now with pics!
« Reply #240 on: March 1, 2006, 04:50 AM »
These look amazing.  Maybe the best single group of figs Hasbro has ever done.  I'm all in for the Scout, Luke, and Han.  I'm not too worried about finding them.  I actually saw the Stormtrooper VOTC several times in 2004.

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 1, 2006, 10:23 PM »
In case you haven;t seen it yet, New force has the cases of VTSC up for pre-order, also sets.  Nice price.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 2, 2006, 12:08 AM »
I've been waiting for Newforce since they mentioned they'd be putting them up. I ordered two cases. :-X
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMoses

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 2, 2006, 12:26 AM »
I thimk they just went up tonight.  I ordered a couple.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #244 on: March 2, 2006, 02:32 AM »
Rob, I think I was trying to say I prefer VOTC but know the price deters many...  Even though it's just Greedo, it's still so far superior to any Greedo that it's worth it...  I did a poor job writing that.

I keep hoping they get it at all levels...  Unfortunately the design team isn't the only ones that need talked to by the fans. :)  I still would love being a fly on the wall of any meetings regarding this line...  You know it's filled with great stuff that is clearly shot down.

This isn't even a risky concept for them, but it's still not acceptable to them. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #245 on: March 2, 2006, 09:26 AM »
I thimk they just went up tonight.  I ordered a couple.

Yeah, they weren't there yet last night when I checked (8pm) but I was glad to see the pre-order up this AM.

$89.99 plus $9.95 shipping?   :o  That's about $9.99 per figure after shipping.  No way Wal-Mart or Target can beat that price.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 2, 2006, 09:44 AM »
A little OT, but NewForce is one of those anomalies that make me scratch my head as to the whole pricing thing. They are obviously one of the smaller retailers and I know that, at least a few years back, they only got about 900 cases of each assortment ordered. They wouldn't bother if they weren't making some type of mark up. So why can they give us the cheapest price, period? You would think that EE, who boasts larger sales than WM during a non movie years, would have 'em beat.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #247 on: March 2, 2006, 09:55 AM »
Maybe, they're just cutting they're margins a little to compete.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 2, 2006, 09:56 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #248 on: March 2, 2006, 10:13 AM »
I don't ever get that either, how smaller e-tailers can price compete.

It must be due to lower overhead or something I guess.   And I also think it just has to do with EE thinking of themselves as the "premiere destination".

Hell, they sold figures at the $8-9 each range for a looooong time before they finally came down in price to try to start matching the little guys.  From 2002-2004 I ordered from Rick because he has always been $10-15 cheaper than EE.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 2, 2006, 04:32 PM »
Rick is just a cool guy.  He has never let me down - I think he enjoys helping out collectors - his margins reflect that rationale.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #250 on: March 4, 2006, 03:30 AM »
Anton, I saw you mention that subject "elsewhere" too... 

The supposed "retail experts" at that dump though, I have found anyway, to be talking completely out their ******** about what they THINK they know about retail costs/prices.

For instance, I worked for JC Penney's around 98/99 and saw some costs on things via their catalogue department...  Figures cost a fraction to JC Penney's of what they charged, and their retail prices were comparable to Target/TRU at the time + shipping...  So I'd imagine that Target and TRU were probably getting even better prices out of Hasbro and still charging about what Penney's catalogue charged.  Especially because JCP wasn't a major buyer of these products and didn't carry them all year, or even carry point-of-sale items you could just pick up off the shelf.  I was friends with a guy at TRU corporate at the time and we'd compare crap routinely and basically TRU blew JCP's margins on the same items out of the water but that was to be expected due to the relationships the two companies had with Hasbro... 

JCP had enough leeway with figure costs to cut the price by like 50% and still profit off the figure.  It was generally set that you could use coupons and incentives from the store or the catalogue, and JCP still made a lot of money.  It was rare anything at all in the store was even clearanced to the point that something wasn't made financially off the item. 

Now, I can't imagine that, between 1999 and 2006, that all of a sudden figures have just jumped in their margins for the manufacturer and the retailer to the point that the item's price can barely be fudged to where anyone's profiting.  Total BS...

What I think Newforce does is give the best they can to be competitive while making the best they can while being competitive.  I think EE's like Jeff said, that to an extent it's maybe some overhead issues but also that they probably consider themselves "premiere" on some level, which they are recognized for certain, so they can get away with that...  They also maybe know that NewForce just doesn't do the same volume they do, and that they'll pick up those thousands of other sales that the limited NFC doesn't pick up (for whatever reason).

I have no doubt that Star Wars figures make retailers and Hasbro quite happy when they do well...  like right now.  I'm also quite sure these figures profit even when they're on sale, so I'm just glad to see New Force doing something for the fans by pricing stuff well...  I'm sure that with their relatively small size that competing with Wal-Mart was a stretch for them, but still profitable or they wouldn't have done it (like you said).

Thusly, I have my order in there...  I'm pondering a 2nd case from Rick even.  I just hope I get my stuff is all.  I haven't ordered for a while from there.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 4, 2006, 09:20 PM »
Thanks Jesse. I knew my thoughts on the whole matter were more in line with the real world. Some of the gunk spewed over there made no sence from a business standpoint. Plus, the figures cost pennies to make, even with development. Hasbro's mark up to retailers is only so much.

And yeah, I guess the overhead issue is a pretty big deal. I forgot about that. I think Rik works out of his car hole, doesn't he? While EE has a wherehouse here in So-Cal, which ain't cheep.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 5, 2006, 01:57 AM »
I spent a long time working in retail, no toy experience but a whole lot else.  Depending on how you phrase it, markup was either 50% or 100%.  Either way, if the retail price on a figure was $10, the cost to the retailer was $5 or perhaps a tad less. 

I know the suggestion north of the border is that Walmart sells these at a loss.  I have a wee tad hard time believing that.  I know they do loss leaders all the time, but I'd be amazed if TRU was selling something for $9.99 up here that had a wholesale price of $$8.97 ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 6, 2006, 09:13 PM »
ok I have a bit of a quadry....I ended up getting a VOTC 2 Tusken Raider from that Kansas Wal Mart.....as I was taking photos to send to my friends here at JD.com, I noticed it doesn't have any information anywhere except the sticker that mentions the "Ultimate Bounty"....so...do I rip it free of it's plastic coffin, or do I leave it as is, in case one of my Mint on Card buddies needs it?  It is killing me not open it, but I respect the fact that somebody out there in JD land might actually like the thing missing the Ultimate Bounty thing still carded...or perhaps there ISN'T supposed to be anything in there and it is just a sticker...any thoughts from the gang?

To answer the questions in you mind..ebay...too much..yes I am ruining the hobby, but with just Prequel stuff between now and the Summer...I had to get my OT groove on and PayPal is not like real money...

I can probably hold out another 30 minutes.  What do you guys think? Open it or keep it in case...

FRONT

BACK

Pic of me and the Family at Disney as proof I really have the figure (and a wife)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #254 on: March 6, 2006, 09:28 PM »
I do not have it and cannot wait to open it. ;D
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.