Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115442 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #150 on: June 7, 2008, 11:03 PM »
Gha... don't open Sonic.  Horrible game.  Pick up Ratchet & Clank.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #151 on: June 9, 2008, 06:12 PM »
Josh - The gunmetal gray MGS bundle is the 40-Gig model, and is only available through Konami's web site for $599.  And I'm pretty sure they already sold out.  The retail bundle is a standard black 80-Gig.  That might make your decision a little easier.   ;)  I guess you just need to decide if 40 extra Gigs, a Dualshock 3, and MGS4 is worth an extra $200.

Yeah...I'm just finding that out today (My Eb and Gamestops all have them and have the info). What a ******* rip off. There's no way I'm paying 599 to get a console with no backwards compat and a smaller hard drive just because it's gray.  It's not sold out (Konami is still offering pre-orders) but screw them.
Got Clones?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #152 on: June 10, 2008, 08:23 AM »
It's really aimed at limited-edition collectors rather than gamers.  As far as it being sold out, I was probably thinking of the Japanese version.  Sorry about that.  The 80-Gig bundle is a heck of a deal, though.  If they put that one up on Sony Style, with their $100-off credit card offer, that'd be the way to go for certain.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #153 on: June 10, 2008, 08:34 AM »
See, I always thought that gray bundle was going to be "the" SKU to get, so I had my hopes up a little too high about it. I'd already been waiting for MGS4 to finally buy my PS3, so buying the bundle seemed like the best thing to do. It's only in the last few days that I've started to realize what a terrible deal it is.

Meanwhile, Wal Mart is selling the 80GB bundle with a 100 dollar gift card starting Thursday, so that's the one I'm shooting for. I've already checked with Best Buy and they will price match it, so if I can find a local Wal Mart that has it in stock....that's another back up plan.  I'm thinking of grabbing it tomorrow night at a midnight launch somewhere, and spending that extra 100 bucks on the other games I want (Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet & Clank and possibly Warhawk).

Sony Style requires a credit card application....but if I strike out across the board at Wal Mart and Best Buy, that'd be my next best shot.   I called Target, Fred Meyer and several Gamestops, and everyone is getting bundles Thursday, so I figure in any event, I should have my PS3 by the weekend (I just want to make sure I get it in the bundle and with the 100 dollars off).
Got Clones?

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #154 on: June 10, 2008, 10:13 AM »
Hopefully I'll be moved into my new house by this weekend, and I'll see you online.  PSN ID:  CreatureCantina.   ;D

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2008, 10:55 AM »
IGN gives MGS4 straight 10s.

Is it possible to give a game an 11? If so, this would be the game that would merit that score. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is a title that exceeds all of the hype that was attached to the title.

Not only does it sum up the full franchise of Metal Gear, its depth and its complexity, coupled with its technical prowess, make it one of the best games of the year and, indeed, one of the best games ever made.

This game is emotional, powerful, fun, beautiful, deep, engaging, and just about every other positive adjective you could assign it. Metal Gear Solid 4 pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the final, final credits roll.

Oh yeah... it'll probably be a while before I get the chance to play this, so please NO SPOILERS!!!

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2008, 07:43 PM »
i picked up my limited edition from gamestop yesterday. so far it's been really cool. still getting used to the controls though so i'm not as sneaky as i would like to be. I just started the 2nd act. The Metal gear online game is ok. seems like it might be more fun once you get really good with the mgs4 controls.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #157 on: July 16, 2008, 12:08 AM »
I picked up the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle with the 80G Playstation 3 last weekend. I've beat the game twice, already, and I'm working on a third run. I got GTA IV tonight, played it for about 20 minutes, then set it aside and went right back to trying to collect more "goodies" in Metal Gear. GTA isn't that bad, I guess, but the controls are so different from what I'm used to that I'm very disoriented with the camera and it gets frustrating fast. I feel like my character is Borat, too, which is kind of lame.

But yeah, Patriots is one of the best games I think I've ever played.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:09 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 16, 2008, 08:36 AM »
Played?  Don't you mean watched?

All kidding aside, I was kind of hoping for an announcement pertaining to a price break for the PS3...guess not.

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #159 on: July 16, 2008, 03:37 PM »
well kinda the 80gb is $399 now. sad too i payed $399 for my 40gb only 2 months ago :/

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 16, 2008, 05:41 PM »
I haven't heard anything about a price break.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 16, 2008, 07:15 PM »
color me stupid....and lazy for not wanting to do the reading...but what's the advantage of a massive hard drive on these consoles? 

At 399, these are coming close in range to the price of a regular old blu-ray, which makes the console game part seem downright cheap.  If I had the HD set and was in the market for a blu ray, this is probably the way I'd go.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 07:17 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #162 on: July 17, 2008, 09:16 AM »
The massive hard drive will allow you to "own" HD movies you download off of Sony's new video delivery service.  You do have the option of deleting a film after you download it to make space and can download it again at any time for free, but if you don't want to go through that hassle you can just let it sit there.  But really, even 80-Gigs is insufficient for more than a couple movies.

There are also quite a few games that load a bunch of stuff on the hard drive when you first run the game, to help with game performance.  Some of the installs are 2-5 Gigs.  So you can fit 15 games or so without having to delete anything.

Then there's people who load their iPod play lists onto their PS3 for custom in-game soundtracks... If you want 20,000 songs you'll need some space.   ;)

And I agree with you... there's never been a point yet in this generation of movie players where it's made sense to buy anything but a PS3 for Blu-ray playback.  It's future-proof.  It runs better than most stand-alone players.  It's about the same price.  And heck - you can play games on it if you want!

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 17, 2008, 04:44 PM »
I stand corrected:

80GB price cut to $399

If this includes the MGS4 bundle pack; I'm in.

Edit:  Just did some digging and it sound like the new 80GB model will NOT have backwards compatibility so it might be a good idea to pick up the current $499 MGS4 bundle pack if you want the capability to play PS2 and PS1 games.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/15/sony-cuts-80gb-ps3-price-to-400/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 04:52 PM by ruiner »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 21, 2008, 04:38 PM »
So my son has become obsessed with getting a Play Station 3.  I may be going out tonight with him to buy one.  I've resisted getting more than one console for a long, long time.  However, he's got $300 is birthday and Christmas money saved up and he's willing to drop it all so I might help him finance this purchase.  I know its going to set us back almost $600 after we get the system, an extra controller, and a couple of games. 

We currently own a Wii, a Gamecube, and multiple DS/Gameboys.  This will be our first forray out of the confortable world of Ninetendo :)

I'm curious, how do other mutli-console families handle this situation.