Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115690 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2008, 11:36 AM »
So Day 2 in my saga to get the PS3 connected to the wireless network.  I mapped out my entire lower level with my laptop computer.  I'm definitely losing signal when I cross a certain threshold.  My PS3 is about 60ft away from my router and it only seems to be getting between 20-35% signal.  I bought a new range extender which didn't extend the range at all.  Its like my family room has a black hole for wireless signal in it!

So my next step is to either run a cable which I am loath to do as it would require putting two holes in my carpeted floors, running the cable probably 100ft to my PS3 and through my basement which would require a significant cleaning effort to get to (don't want to give the misses a chance to complain about my collection storage do I?) or find an alternative.

I'm thinking of picking up this little contraption.  The reviews seem reasonable on it and heck, what's another $150 right??  :-\

NETGEAR - Powerline A/V Ethernet Adapter Kit

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2008, 12:21 PM »
I'm in the same boat as you - I'm getting 67% signal and when it performs the connection test it fails to gather the IP address.

I have no idea what to put in those crazy fields....
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 08:14 AM by ruiner »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2008, 12:58 PM »
You might need to dig out your router documentation.  I don't remember it being difficult at all.  Just needed to pick the security method, and type in the 10-digit pass key.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2008, 03:04 PM »
The controller/keyboard looks ridiculous.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2008, 03:33 PM »
It's less about how it looks and more about how it works.  I can't see it being all that comfortable for thumb-typing.  But who knows. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 22, 2008, 08:14 AM »
Why is Metal Gear Solid 4 so difficult for me?

:-\

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #216 on: August 22, 2008, 08:41 AM »
I haven't had any problems with it outside the boss battles.  You need to approach it as a stealth game rather than a third-person shooter.  Ideally you never need to fight at all.  The elite players can get through not fighting or even being seen by anybody.  I'm not elite, but I use the tranq gun almost exclusively.  Creep around slowly.  See an enemy.  Put him to sleep.  Repeat.  In a few areas I just ran through after getting spotted.  Those 3-armed balls in the old hanger kept spotting me, so I just booked it to the door.  I don't have the patience to memorize patterns like I did for MGS2 and 3.  Since I can get ammo from Drebbin at any time, I use the tranq gun very freely.

One thing I did do was increase the speed for aiming.  I bumped it up to 8.  Made the boss battles a lot more manageable.

I figure the second time through I'll use a sniper rifle to kill everyone.  One of the ones I have has a silencer.  Should be fun.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #217 on: August 22, 2008, 10:58 AM »
Why is Metal Gear Solid 4 so difficult for me?

:-\

I am the same way.

I am stuck at the spot where I am disguised as the enemy and there is a blockade in the road. I went up the building everything and have no clue where to go ?  :'(

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 22, 2008, 12:09 PM »
I like the controls from MGS2 for some reason.  You could 'cling' to walls and other objects better.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #219 on: August 22, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I've had some camera issues, especially when fighting bosses.  When you're knocked down, it inverts the y-axis for some reason.  So I end up aiming at the floor for a second until I allow the camera to right itself.  It's annoying, but nothing too horrible.  I only really had problems with Raging Raven, since the battle is so vertical. 

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #220 on: August 22, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Well I just joined the PS3 club... My roommate wanted to get Guitar Hero for my 360. The Xbox is in my room and I don't want to put it out in the main TV room, nor I did I want them playing it in my room. I was thinking about trying to find a Wii and getting that instead, but elected against it. I figure he wanted Guitar Hero and wouldn't be able to download songs to the nonexistent hard drive on the Wii so I went with the PS3. Now I can play the few PS3 games I've wanted to play, there really are only a few, XBox definitely has better exclusive titles. And I now have blu-ray too. I went with the 80 gig version with the DualShock3 and bought MLB The Show to go along with it. I'll probably pick up MGS4 here sometime soon. Once I get my online setup I'll throw my gamertag up here and maybe someone can get a game going soon. Playstation should really come with a headset for online play BTW...
"This is the way."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #221 on: August 22, 2008, 07:34 PM »
You can use any Bluetooth headset on the PS3.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #222 on: August 22, 2008, 07:35 PM »
But I don't have a bluetooth headset, that's the point. It's pretty lame that the PS3 doest come with any kind of high-def cables. The thing should be all ready to go for HD in some capacity if they are going to charge $400 for it, blu-ray drive or not.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:38 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #223 on: August 22, 2008, 07:47 PM »
A lot of people do, so it saves them buying redundant (and likely inferior) hardware.  And yeah, an HDMI cable would be nice.  Maybe it'll come standard when most TVs use HDMI.  Seeing how you can get an HDMI cable for around $5 online, I don't see it as a big deal.  I ordered my cable before I even bought the console, but I'm crazy like that.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #224 on: August 25, 2008, 01:46 AM »
I am stuck at the spot where I am disguised as the enemy and there is a blockade in the road. I went up the building everything and have no clue where to go ?  :'(

Sounds like you're trying to contact the resistance. What you need to do is take off the disguise and just use your camo suit... Wait for the resistance member to show up, and then follow him throughout the map. You will need to keep your eye out for enemy sentries, because they'll have to be disabled for the resistance member to progress.

This is a hugely tedious and stupid mission, it may take about 15 minutes of just following this dude quietly through the streets. There are no shortcuts that I know of. On the bright side, once you finish this mission and nap over a good 10 minute intermission of mindless dialogue, there's a really cool level and a pretty decent boss up ahead.

I recently beat Resistance: Fall of Man. I got kind of bored with it, relatively fast. Haven't tried to replay it.

I also played through Metal Gear 3: Subsistence. Very awesome... controls are kid of clunky compared to MGS4, though. I would love to see the Snake Eater on bluray...

I'm looking forward to Force Unleashed and hoping to grasp the concept of LittleBigPlanet in time to pre-order for some sort of exclusive goody.