Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115434 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2007, 02:15 AM »
I'm a bit confused on the 360 at this point...  IS the thing actually  having a price drop, or no?  The Sony thing's sparked a lot of talk but I can't seemingly get a straight answer on whether or not the 360 is price dropping soon.  I'd like to pick one up, even have a giftcard to kill some of the price of one, but I'd like to wait till it's cheaper if they are dropping the price.

I'd like a Wii too but damned if I could find one even.  ::)  So 360's on my radar, I just gotta figure out what it's going to cost me if I wait a little while.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2007, 03:29 AM »
Don't buy an xbox360 before they start shipping the 65nm systems.  Presumably, they'll have the defect that's causing RROD failures resolved in them.  Every unit shipped to date has a potentially fatal design flaw, which is why they extended the warranty to 3 years.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2007, 08:38 PM »
Yeah I've been waiting because of that too...  Found an announcement from MS about no price breaks for the 360 to compete, so that answered my question on that too...  GUess I play the waiting game to see if they go on sale around the holidays.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2007, 02:55 PM »
Cheaper PS3 on the way.  It is still the most expensive of the next gen consoles ($399), will be 40 gig, and won't play PS2 games (apparently due to a more extensive lineup of PS3 games).

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2007, 03:29 PM »
Give me a 60GB with backwards compatibility for $399 and we'll talk.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2008, 10:46 AM »
I started playing Heavenly Sword on Monday.  I finished it last night.  That's just ridiculously short.  I liked a lot of it, but I was really underwhelmed by quite a few things.  The production values would have been stunning had there not been inexcusable flaws like framerate drops during cutscenes and really poor lip sync problems.  On a game that was supposed to be interactive cinema, you'd think they would have nailed those two elements.  The acting was fantastic, but I kept being pulled out every time the lips moved half a second before the words.  And there were just odd cuts in the action.  You fight the snake woman, then all of a sudden you're face-down and the main baddie is standing over you?  Couldn't they have shown why?  Did you pass out from exhaustion?  Was the army hiding?  And I was upset by the part where Kia got the last shot off on another boss.  You see a "shoot" prompt, sort of line up, hit the button, but it doesn't show the shot flying and hitting like every other shot in the game... it cuts to the boss with an arrow in his head.  All that sort of stuff made it feel rushed.

I turned off motion sensing for the after touch on projectiles almost immediately.  It was much better to use the left analog for that.  I wasn't all that impressed on how the motion sensing worked for anything in the game.  Ratchet and Clank was MUCH more polished in that respect.  Actually, R&C was letter-perfect in motion sensing, and all other developers should use it as a model.

It was a fun diversion, but certainly not a top game like Uncharted.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2008, 11:50 PM »
The latest firmware update just became available on the PSN.  It's version 2.20, and it makes the PS3 BD-Live compliant.  There are a few Blu-rays that use BD-Live already (War, Saw IV, and Enchanted are the three that I know of), and this update makes the PS3 the first Blu-ray player capable of using those features.  This shows yet again that the PS3 is an amazing piece of hardware.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2008, 11:15 PM »
Metal Gear Solid 4 already sold out in Japan!

That's almost 3 months before the game is even released!   ;D

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #98 on: April 3, 2008, 10:36 PM »
I picked up Burnout: Paradise this week off eBay, and it's every bit as fun as it ever was.  The graphics are insane.  I'm still learning the map, but so far it's great.  And my daughter loves driving around and wrecking into stuff.

I've also been playing Stranglehold.  I'm not all that impressed by the graphics, and there are some bad framerate drops when things are destructing, but it's still an blast to play.

So does anybody else here even own a PS3?  Feels like I'm talking to myself.   ;)

Offline CaptainYoda

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 4, 2008, 10:52 AM »
So does anybody else here even own a PS3?  Feels like I'm talking to myself.   ;)

Not yet, but soon. Probably around when GTA:IV comes out.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 4, 2008, 10:57 AM »

So does anybody else here even own a PS3?  Feels like I'm talking to myself.   ;)

You're the only one Bill.  My addiction to Wii Sports has prevented me from even thinking about the PS3.

:D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 4, 2008, 11:06 AM »

I'm waiting for the next price drop.  Still too pricey for me.  I didn't get my PS2 till 02 so I can wait another year or two.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #102 on: April 4, 2008, 11:24 AM »
I'm waiting until there's something actually worth playing on it.
« Last Edit: April 4, 2008, 11:26 AM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 4, 2008, 12:53 PM »
I'm waiting for the next price drop in December. $299!!!!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #104 on: April 7, 2008, 12:31 AM »
Here you go, fence sitters:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014WJ78E

When you consider you get $70 in games (MGS4 + PAIN), a Dualshock3 controller, and a high-end Blu-ray player, it's the bargain of the century!   ;)

BTW, PAIN is the best $10 game I've ever purchased.  I couldn't tell you how many hours I've wasted playing that thing.