Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115661 times)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #105 on: April 7, 2008, 03:11 AM »
I'm waiting until there's something actually worth playing on it.

I have to agree. I've played a few games on it and they haven't grabbed me. Hopefully they'll announce something good down the road for me to drop that kind of cash on another console.
I remember my dream now.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #106 on: April 7, 2008, 09:56 AM »
Uncharted is one of the best, if not the best game of this generation so far.  And Ratchet & Clank Future is the best game in a very strong series.  Those two games alone were worth the price of admission to me.  If you don't think there's anything worth playing, you must have a very narrow interpretation of what makes a good game.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 7, 2008, 12:15 PM »
The problem for me, beyond the price, is the lack of E rated games. My wife and I restrict my son (who is eight) from playing any games that are rated T or higher. Since the PS3 seems to have a huge number of shooters that are either T or M it doesn't seem worth it to me to buy the system at its price until a larger number of kid friendly games are available.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2008, 12:16 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 7, 2008, 12:23 PM »
Most games you buy from the PS Store are kid-friendly.  Puzzle, racing, arcade space shooters games.  Sony has really done a great job with the online store.  Stardust, Pain, Everyday Shooter are all highly recommended games, along with Puzzle Fighter, Calling All Cars. etc.
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #109 on: April 7, 2008, 12:43 PM »
The Wii is the king of kiddie games, no question there.  But my daughter (6 years old) has gotten a lot of play on the PS3 out of Lego Star Wars, Ratchet & Clank, Burnout, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #110 on: April 7, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Uncharted is one of the best, if not the best game of this generation so far.  And Ratchet & Clank Future is the best game in a very strong series.  Those two games alone were worth the price of admission to me.  If you don't think there's anything worth playing, you must have a very narrow interpretation of what makes a good game.

Uncharted looks interesting, but no multiplayer kills it for me.  Same reason I won't buy Bioshock. 

Ratchet and Clank--have heard great things, but have never been interested in that franchise.

For me to drop four or five Franklins on a system, there's gotta be something I just really have to play, and right now, there's just not.  Maybe when God of War 3 comes out, then we'll talk.  Until then, sorry, Sony.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: April 7, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I'm in the same boat as Matt on the PS3...  I seriously looked at it when I was considering a new system last Fall, and the things that made the decision easy were the lack of games that interested me on the PS3 and the Wii's simple lack of availability (coupled with it being a gimmick I'd maybe like, but wasn't sure I'd really get into).  I was glad then that I got my 360 and haven't regretted it.

If I had a ton of cash to blow left and right, I'd probably buy a PS3 just because...  For me though, I had to have the gaming library I was going to be interested in.  PS whores the Metal Gear series and that's one I just never liked much either...  It's amazing that in this day and age, the games available can still be what sway you from one system to another.  I figured that, by now, it would be more a matter of taste on the console itself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 7, 2008, 05:07 PM »
I figured that, by now, it would be more a matter of taste on the console itself.

It's getting there IMO. 

I'm not an avid gamer, but a lot of 'big' franchises are no longer exclusive - the entire Sega library, Grand Theft Auto - it's just a matter of time before Sony let's Microsoft have Metal Gear Solid.

Honestly, I don't think there's a reason to buy a PS3 over an X-Box these days.  I think the conversation here that Bill's having with himself pretty much mirrors what's going on 'outside.'

« Last Edit: April 7, 2008, 05:08 PM by ruiner »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 7, 2008, 05:35 PM »
There's just nothing out on the PS3 that gives me any desire to pick one up. Uncharted looks good, but definitely not even close to inspiring me enough to go out and get one. God of War 3 would be enough for me to buy one, but last I heard it wasn't even coming out this year. SOCOM is another title that could sway me, but not the version that's coming out this summer. I want a real one.

Sadly the new Rambo on Blu Ray is probably my biggest reason to get a PS3 right now, and that's just not reason enough. 360 is still drinking PS3's milkshake.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: April 7, 2008, 05:56 PM »
SOCOM and Turismo are the only games I ever liked on PS2 enough to make me want a PS2 (never got one, but may need to consider it actually now that they're cheap).  I agree Ruiner about the consoles getting there, I just figured by now they'd be there...  Game exclusivity isn't the HUGE draw to a console that it used to be I guess.

Wii's sort of extending Nintendo's life since they seemed doomed after the Gamecube...  They usually have the most exclusive gaming experience...  I loved my Gamecube honestly, but it just lost support after a while and never got more games.  The ones I have I think are fantastic though, so that's a shame.  I still tear up Bounty Hunter now and again...  It still ranks as one of my favorite SW games.  Top 5 at least.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 7, 2008, 06:08 PM »
The main reason I bought my PS3 in Dec 2006 was because I had good experiences with my PS1 and PS2 console.  I never had problems with either system, and still have my original PS2 from 2002.  WIth the first PS3s being backwards compatiable, I saved up the money and bought it the first time I saw it.  Basically, I had faith in the brand.  And like others here, I wasn't excited by any of the games, so I didn't preorder one.  Besides, in 2005-2007, I was still playing Battlefront 2 online almost exclusively.  I continued to play that game the first couple of months on my PS3.

Once MotorStorm was reelased in Mmarch 2007, I played that game online non-stop for months.  I'm not much for exclusive games either (little personal interest in MGS, Gran Turismo, or GTA), but new franchises like UNCHARTED and HEAVELY SWORD are great games that make me happy I got the 60 GB PS3 early.
« Last Edit: April 7, 2008, 06:09 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #116 on: April 7, 2008, 08:57 PM »
God of War 3 is slated for 2009.

This year's big exclusive titles are:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Killzone 2
Resistance 2
Little Big Planet
Final Fantasy XIII
SOCOM: Confrontation

There's a bunch more, including some racing titles I don't know all that well, but those are the biggies.

BTW, the first review of Grand Theft Auto IV has popped up.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 7, 2008, 10:18 PM »
Basically, I had faith in the brand. 

I can respect that sentiment.  I usually stick with Sony in regards to televisions, DVD players, etc.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #118 on: April 7, 2008, 11:14 PM »
If you have an HDTV then the PS3 is a no-brainer.  Once you watch a movie on Blu-ray in 1080p, you'll never want to watch anything else.  And the games in HD are just stunning.

If you don't have an HDTV yet, then the PS3 is in a lot of ways wasted on your system.  The graphics are a lot nicer than the PS2 or Xbox, but you're only seeing about 25% of what it can do.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 8, 2008, 10:34 AM »
Basically, I had faith in the brand. 

I can respect that sentiment.  I usually stick with Sony in regards to televisions, DVD players, etc.

TO clarify, I have faith in the Playstation brand.  Outside of my original PS2 and PS3, I have two other Sony products in my house.  One is a cassette Walkman (still works) and another is a 4-head VCR.  Outside of the PS3, the only other Sony item I use is the clock display on the VCR.  That works great!

Never owned a Sony TV or standard DVD player.  My 4 HDTVs are from 4 different companies.   :P
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 04:14 PM by S_A_Longhorn »