Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115683 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2008, 04:08 PM »
Only in the UK and Australia.  It's bundled with the 40.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2008, 05:42 PM »
IGN gave it straight 10s.  I don't think that's ever happened before.

They are not the only ones:

IGN (100/100) - "For those wanting to know which version looks better, the edge goes to the PS3 ... Grand Theft Auto IV is one of the best games we've ever seen ... The only thing you need to know is that you have to play this game. Period."

1UP (100/100) - "The PS3 version has the slightest visual edge, plus motion-control support ... Liberty City is no longer just a place you explore outdoors, looking for stunt jumps or the thrill of a six-star wanted level after riling up the LCPD during missions. I spent hours of my week-long review session checking out the game's indoor attractions."

GameTrailers (98/100) - "Rockstar always has a knack for choosing just the right songs to set the tone of its games, and once again it's hit a homerun with Grand Theft Auto IV."[/list]

I copied the above from my post on RS.  Most multi-platform reviews actually suggest the PS3 version as the better buy, despite the 360 having their $50 million DLC.  With the mandatory 3Gb download, the PS3 version graphics are sharper, have less pop-up, and more realistic color.
    « Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:44 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
    "WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
    -Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
    • raised to be lowered
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: April 28, 2008, 05:56 PM »
    With the mandatory 3Gb download

Elaborate please.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
      • View Profile
      • CreatureCantina.com
    « Reply #138 on: April 28, 2008, 06:03 PM »
    It's actually an install, not a download.  3.5Gigs installed on the HDD, which eliminates load times and improves pop-up, textures, and other graphical areas.  That's why all the review sites are giving the graphical edge to the PS3 version.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
      • View Profile
      • CreatureCantina.com
    « Reply #139 on: May 27, 2008, 07:01 PM »
    Walmart to offer $100 gift card with purchase of a 40-Gig PS3.

The offer is only good June 1st-7th.  If you've been waiting, this would be the time to bite!

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
      • View Profile
      • My Star Wars collection
    « Reply #140 on: May 30, 2008, 06:22 PM »
    I posted this query over at RS, but I figured I should ask here too (since Bill is on hiatus from the thread over there).

Ok PS3 fans (or fan)...I've got a question.

I have been planning for a few months now to buy my PS3 in a couple of weeks (the MGS bundle with the new controller and the game I've been waiting for).

Today, I see this:

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/05/30/free-100-gift-card-with-ps3-purchase-at-walmart-com/

That's pretty darn tempting. 
    I'm having trouble talking myself into waiting for the grey one now....except it has 40GB more HDD space and it already comes with the game and controller I'm going to want.  I'm just not sure if that's worth the extra 200 bucks.   Thoughts?
    Got Clones?

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
      • View Profile
      • My myspace page
    « Reply #141 on: May 31, 2008, 03:57 PM »
    I kinda wish i would of waited for the MGS bundle that looks pretty awesome. As soon as that gov money hit my account i ran out and bought a PS3 and GTA4. I have the special edition of MGS4 on reserve though :)

Only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the 40GB i bought doesn't play my old PS2 games :/

I recently did that blockbuster game pass so at least I've try ed a few other PS3 games i wouldn't buy. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
      • View Profile
      • CreatureCantina.com
    « Reply #142 on: May 31, 2008, 11:18 PM »
    Josh - The gunmetal gray MGS bundle is the 40-Gig model, and is only available through Konami's web site for $599.  And I'm pretty sure they already sold out.  The retail bundle is a standard black 80-Gig.  That might make your decision a little easier.   ;)  I guess you just need to decide if 40 extra Gigs, a Dualshock 3, and MGS4 is worth an extra $200.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
    • Belligerent as hell
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: June 1, 2008, 01:08 PM »
    If anyone is on the fence about the giftcard deal at Wal-Mart, I just got back from Best Buy and can confirm that they are price-matching and giving you a $100 gift card as well.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
    • raised to be lowered
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: June 2, 2008, 09:17 AM »

Only thing I'm kinda bummed about is the 40GB i bought doesn't play my old PS2 games :/

Well, that's a load of ****.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
      • View Profile
      • CreatureCantina.com
    « Reply #145 on: June 2, 2008, 09:42 PM »
    It's also very well documented.   ::)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
    • raised to be lowered
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: June 3, 2008, 09:07 AM »
    Doesn't make it right.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
    • raised to be lowered
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: June 3, 2008, 09:14 AM »
    If anyone is on the fence about the giftcard deal at Wal-Mart, I just got back from Best Buy and can confirm that they are price-matching and giving you a $100 gift card as well.

I was but I think you can guess why I'm not anymore.

That and the gift card can only be used online.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
    • Belligerent as hell
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: June 3, 2008, 04:08 PM »
    Amazon has Uncharted on sale for $39 today if anyone's interested.

I had zero issues at my Best Buy getting the Wal-Mart deal matched, and turned right around and used the gift card on MLB '08 and a couple of Blu-Ray's. Also snagged a Blu-Wave IR remote for $10 at Gamestop so I can use the USB IR controller from it with my Harmony.

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
      • View Profile
      • DC Collector Universe
    « Reply #149 on: June 7, 2008, 10:41 PM »
    I had very little issue today.  Best Buy's policy is that the competition has to have the item in stock for them to honor the price match.  The guy I dealt with was cool enough to call a couple of Wal Marts to find one that had it in stock so that he could act within policy.  I ended up using the gift card and some of my extra Bush Bucks on a few Blu Rays, a game for the kids (Sonic), an extra controller and the remote control.  More than likely the system will be used for Blu Ray 90% of the time, but I'll probably pick up a game for myself soon (I'm thinking Marvel Ultimate Alliance...I'd always thought about getting it for the Wii).

John