Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115727 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2008, 12:29 AM »
It looks really cool - the visuals are very nice - I'm wondering about the single player mode, though... I doubt I'll have access on the internet with my PS3 anytime soon, so I'd hate to buy a game that depends on a connection. I wonder if user-made content can be downloaded onto a USB drive, then uploaded to the offline PS3?

After beating Metal Gear Solid IV, Grand Theft Auto IV, Resistance: Fall of Man, and possibly Assassin's Creed in the not so distant future... the change of pace with a kid friendly, pleasantly designed, colorful, cute LittleBigWorld might be a huge hit with me... especially if it's really as creative, open, and rewarding as people say it'll be.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 12:45 AM by Angry Ewok »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2008, 08:32 AM »
You need to get your PS3 online!  I assume you have broadband Internet access.  You can get a wireless router for like $40.  They're a cinch to set up.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2008, 09:57 PM »
anyone here on ps3 that has the new madden? I'm hoping to get some kind of online league going :)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 20, 2008, 10:25 AM »
I've been trying rather unsuccessfully to get my PS3 (60gb version) to hook up to my wireless network.  It seems that I can recognize the network but I'm only getting about 30% signal strength (the router is clear on the other side of my house).  When I try to "test the internet connection" 95% of the time if either fails to get an IP address or fails on the internet connection.  The times I do get a connection, its seems to drop after a few minutes.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I've googled for help but most things get a bit too technical for me and I'm not one that would usually be a technophobe.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 10:26 AM by BrentS »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #199 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37 AM »
You either need a signal booster, or you need to run a wire.  Given that most signal boosters require you to run a wire to them anyway, you're best bet is probably just running a wire to the PS3.  You could also try relocating your wireless router closer to the PS3.  Or if the router is old, maybe updating it would help.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 20, 2008, 12:04 PM »
You either need a signal booster, or you need to run a wire.  Given that most signal boosters require you to run a wire to them anyway, you're best bet is probably just running a wire to the PS3.  You could also try relocating your wireless router closer to the PS3.  Or if the router is old, maybe updating it would help.

I just bought one of those new "dual band N" routers.  Its supposed to have the "best range on the market".  Whatever.  I previously used a Range Extender from Linksys (Cisco) but that was only marginally effective.  In fact, my range extender has seemed to die already (I don't get any lights to come on at all.  Unfortunately, my PS3 is waaaay far away from my computer room and it would require much trouble to run a wire. 

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #201 on: August 20, 2008, 12:21 PM »
That stinks.  Looks like you're in a bad spot.  Do you have the same trouble with laptops in that area of the house?

If you have a basement running Ethernet is extremely easy if both rooms are on the first floor.  Just drop a cabe through the floor in the computer room, and pop it back up in the living room.  Otherwise it's very difficult.  I ended up going wireless to a PC in the second floor bedroom rather than running anything through the walls.  The connection isn't the best, but it suffices.

If your booster is on the fritz, your best bet might just be replacing it.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 20, 2008, 01:20 PM »
I wish California houses had basements.   :'(

Right now, I'm working on a project to ethernet the house threw the attic and down inside the walls. Most annoying.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2008, 01:29 PM »
Basements are AWESOME.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #204 on: August 20, 2008, 02:04 PM »

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2008, 02:07 PM »
That stinks.  Looks like you're in a bad spot.  Do you have the same trouble with laptops in that area of the house?
Yes, sometimes I do.   

If you have a basement running Ethernet is extremely easy if both rooms are on the first floor.  Just drop a cabe through the floor in the computer room, and pop it back up in the living room.  Otherwise it's very difficult.  I ended up going wireless to a PC in the second floor bedroom rather than running anything through the walls.  The connection isn't the best, but it suffices.
The actually are both on the same floor and I do have a basement.  I had to run a second coax cable for my DirecTV when I got the new TV installed last year.  I am Sith helped me with that project and it was actually a real pain in the ass.  I don't relish the idea of dropping an ethernet cable from my office into the basement and then across the basement and then up the through the floor.  It could get ugly quickly.

If your booster is on the fritz, your best bet might just be replacing it.

I think I'm going to try to do that and see if I can't eek something out of it. 

If I'm only getting 30% signal to the PS3 do you think that is the reason it keeps disconnecting or fails on the internet connection test?  I hate to go through all this hassle if I've got something configured wrong on the PS3.  I can definitely get connected to the internet for a short period of time but when I've been trying to download the latest update it usually looses connection before 3% is downloaded (after 2-5 minutes of time).

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #206 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17 PM »
I think if you're connecting at all, the configuration is correct.  There's only a couple things to set, and if any of them were incorrect (WEP setting, password, etc.) you'd never connect at all.  So I would conclude that the signal strength is just wavering enough that it drops completely periodically.

As for running a wire... I actually enjoy doing stuff like that, so that probably biases my assessment of the difficulty.   8) 

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 20, 2008, 02:34 PM »
As for running a wire... I actually enjoy doing stuff like that, so that probably biases my assessment of the difficulty.   8) 

Well, then I wished you lived closer to me  ;D

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #208 on: August 21, 2008, 09:28 AM »

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50 AM »
How about this with HOME coming out later this year:

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:50 AM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate