Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 115675 times)

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2008, 03:53 PM »
ok with a new deal at zellers being game and ps3 for 399.99 i might buy the system this week. another question to all you ps3 owners. how much is the quality difference from connecting the ps3 to an hd tv and non hd? cause my dad refuses to have any game system hooked up to our Flat screen lcd so until next year i am stuck with an old style "tube" screen tv.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Just tell him you are hooking up a blue-ray player. :P

Both of the the Next-Gen systems (X-Box and PS3) still look pretty good on regular old TVs. Though it really is a night and day difference seeing it on HD as compared to a regular TV.
"This is the way."

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2008, 04:16 PM »
Just tell him you are hooking up a blue-ray player. :P

Both of the the Next-Gen systems (X-Box and PS3) still look pretty good on regular old TVs. Though it really is a night and day difference seeing it on HD as compared to a regular TV.

yeah my dad knows its a bluray player and thats its probably better then the one we already have (which may be the reason why he is fine with me buying it) but he has this fear of video games causing ghosting on LCD tvs.

Makes sense. As long as it looks better than the PS2 I will be happy though. Now I just need to find the system and convince my parents to let me take 200 out of the bank lol.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2008, 04:22 PM »
It looks way, WAY better than a PS2, no matter what kind of TV you use.  But there's really no downside to hooking it up to an LCD TV.  It can't damage it any more than any other Blu-ray player would.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 20, 2008, 09:03 PM »
Well I did it. Zellers didnt have any in stock so I went to go check out the Sony store just to compare price. I didnt expect them to but they ended up matching Zellers deal so I got the PS3, Resistance:Fall of Man, and a 2 year extended warranty for $514. The game was free so that was great and the warrenty was just $50. I wasnt planning on buying it BUT given the issues with the ps2 systemS I had i dont want to risk it. Took me a while to set up wireless (I didnt know what the WEP was) but it works and it looks great on my regular old tv.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2008, 10:37 AM »
the warrenty was just $50. I wasnt planning on buying it BUT given the issues with the ps2 systemS I had i dont want to risk it.

What issues?  I've owned (1) now for 7 years strong.

eek....7 years.  That just sounds old.  Some day PS3...you will be mine.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2008, 06:33 PM »
the warrenty was just $50. I wasnt planning on buying it BUT given the issues with the ps2 systemS I had i dont want to risk it.

What issues?  I've owned (1) now for 7 years strong.

eek....7 years.  That just sounds old.  Some day PS3...you will be mine.

My first system had the really annoying disc read error problem, warrenty expired so they wouldnt send me a new one. My second one my aunt gave me, lasted about 2 weeks same thing happened. And then i got the thin model which heats up really fast and makes a ton of noise even though its not supposed to. I still have my first model but I literally have to take it apart every 2 months to dust the insides if I want it to work, which is to much of a hassle just to play a 15 minute game of NHL lol.

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2008, 02:31 PM »
ok so i was playing my NHL 09 demo but when I exited the game, my screen went black and my system beeped. When I hit the little on button on the front nothing happened and nothing else would respond.  I had to turn the switch on the back to get it to work again. Does this happen a lot? is it something I should call sony about? or am I just being paranoid?

I was also having trouble signing in. it kept signing out after 5 minutes saying something about a dns error. but once i reset the system it worked again.

and lastly is there any way to take demos that have not been DL out of the shopping cart? i got two games in there that i hit X by accident and I dont know how to get them out. :-X

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2008, 10:05 PM »
ok so i was playing my NHL 09 demo but when I exited the game, my screen went black and my system beeped. When I hit the little on button on the front nothing happened and nothing else would respond.  I had to turn the switch on the back to get it to work again. Does this happen a lot? is it something I should call sony about? or am I just being paranoid?

It's rare, but it happens.

I was also having trouble signing in. it kept signing out after 5 minutes saying something about a dns error. but once i reset the system it worked again.

Again, rare but it happens.

and lastly is there any way to take demos that have not been DL out of the shopping cart? i got two games in there that i hit X by accident and I dont know how to get them out. :-X

No idea on that.  Sorry.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2008, 09:46 AM »
I picked up LittleBigPlanet yesterday.  Logged a couple hours last night to get my mind off the Steelers game.  It's largely the same as the Beta, though I did notice they changed how you detach the jetpack.  You used to have to shake the controller.  Now you just hit circle.  Much nicer.

The servers aren't online yet (I'm hearing Tuesday) so I couldn't do anything outside the story mode and creation tutorials.  Still it's very fun stuff, though I'm repeating a lot.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2008, 01:08 PM »
I'm thinking of getting LittleBigPlanet for my 9year old for Christmas.  Seems like a nice little distraction type game.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #266 on: October 28, 2008, 02:09 AM »
Enjoyed Force Unleashed, despite its many flaws... been playing a lot of Rock Band 2... Might have to snag LittleBigPlanet for Christmas or something.

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2008, 01:44 AM »
well i got little big planet today :) so far just as fun as i thought it would be. the creation is just as impressive. so many options. oh yeah i got the pre order bonus kratos, medusa, and minataur too! Already played a few player created levels like a skateboard ramp one and a batman themed level.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2008, 09:51 AM »
Today Amazon Gold Box is doing PS3 deals, including the EyeToy for $23...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/

Right now Haze is on sale, but that's supposed to be a pretty bad game.  I'm guessing LEGO Indiana Jones is up after that (in 2 hours).  Then after that I'm guessing Soul Calibur IV (5 hours).  Then a golf game.  Then maybe HDMI cables.  Not sure.

If you don't have an EyeToy yet, this is a great time to pick one up! 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13 AM »
I might check back to see if Indy Lego shows up - any idea on what the price might be Bill?