Author Topic: Sony PlayStation 3  (Read 116407 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Sony PlayStation 3
« Reply #510 on: December 13, 2009, 09:31 PM »
I got a ton of play out of Orange Box, which I grabbed a few months back.  Portal is a truly fantastic, innovative game.  And Half-Life 2 was just as much fun as it was when I played it on the PC years ago.  The graphics are a bit dated, but it's still an amazing experience.  I didn't run into any problems with the PS3 version, which supposedly suffered from issues with the PS3 port.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #511 on: December 15, 2009, 08:40 AM »
PS3 games today on Amazon Gold Box

Hoping for a good deal on Infamous...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20 PM »
PS3 games today on Amazon Gold Box

Hoping for a good deal on Infamous...

I caved.  $25.77 is a good price.  K...I'm done with PS3 games for awhile now.   :)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #513 on: December 15, 2009, 01:09 PM »
Same here.  I've wanted to get it for a long time... at that price it was an easy decision.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 16, 2009, 05:54 PM »
Started Uncharted today and I'm 69% of the way done with it.  Not really as "attached" to the game or its characters as much as most of the reviews lead to believe.  Fun game though...for the most part.

Next day...

92% complete...taking a break - didn't know there was going to be "Resident Evil" aspects of this game, but it's getting better since I found Drake and I want my reporter chick back.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 10:24 AM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 25, 2009, 02:21 PM »
My wife gave me a 250GB PS3 for Christmas - I'm really looking forward to hooking it up.  Besides our Wii, I haven't had a game system since our N64!  :D

Anyone have any 'must have' game recommendations?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 25, 2009, 02:41 PM »
Welcome to the club Jesse - I'm sure the vets can help you out with must haves.  Uncharted actually turned out to be one of the funner and easier games I've played on this system.  Started MGS4 and Fallout, but those aren't working out too well so I'm hooked on Deadspace for the moment.  Totally forgot about the Prima game guide I got for a penny at BB.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #517 on: December 25, 2009, 03:01 PM »
Put Assassin's Creed II on your 'must have' list. :)
"This is the way."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #518 on: December 25, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Play Uncharted 1 before you play Uncharted 2.  I'd actually recommend waiting to play UC2 until you play everything else on your list, because nothing else really compares.  I agree Assassin's Creed 2 is excellent.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 26, 2009, 10:45 AM »
I don't mean to be a needy prick, but I've been reading places like IGN to get some reviews on these games you're all talking about, and they read like commercials.

I've been out of the videogame loop since Zelda Windwaker came out on the Game Cube, but I got a PS3 and full on geeked out over Batman: Arkham Asylum, which I've now passed.  I wouldn't mind picking up a game or two more, but I am by no means a hardcore gamer.

That said, can any of you guys who have played Uncharted and Uncharted 2, plus Assassin's Creed 2, give me a bit of a synopsis of the games?  They're obviously highly endorsed by you guys, but I guess I like a certain kind of game and want to know what I'm getting into.

Thanks.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #520 on: December 26, 2009, 12:29 PM »
Uncharted 1 and 2 are "adventure" games.  They're 3rd-person shooters with a cover system.  You'll face wave after wave of enemies, and patience and accuracy are critical.  There's also a considerable amount of platforming, climbing and puzzle solving.  They both have strong stories and compelling characters.  They're like playing an Indiana Jones movie.  Uncharted 2 is significantly more polished, with the best graphics available on a console game.

Assassin's Creed is similar.  Platforming, climbing, killing people.  AC1 was criticized for lack of variety in the side missions... they were all either kill a bunch of guards harassing someone, eavesdrop on a conversation, or follow someone and beat them up.  AC2 has a much more varied batch of side missions.  A lot of AC is about avoiding detection and not getting in a big fight... the big fight is the penalty for screwing up.  AC2 is almost as polished as UC2.  The battle system is fun.  The story is decent.  And the environments are fantastic.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 26, 2009, 06:02 PM »
I don't mean to be a needy prick, but I've been reading places like IGN to get some reviews on these games you're all talking about, and they read like commercials.

I've had the same problem with Gamestop.  Most of the reviews don't mean ass at least IMO.

That said, can any of you guys who have played Uncharted
Thanks.

Uncharted 1 was really great actually after getting through more of the latter levels I guess I was too harsh on it at first.  Environments are beautiful and the gameplay is solid.  Get good at those head shots though to save on ammo.  Lots of hidden "treasure" to find on the back side of the game.  They really put a lot into this and I dug the special features.  Like Bill said - it feels like your in an Indy movie at times.  I've played maybe 6-7 games so far on the PS3 and I think know this is a must own.  Definitely some replay value here in a while.

The first Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 was a fantastic icebreaker for myself being my first game on this system.  Loved the PS2 versions so this was leaps and bounds all over the place to get used to this system and it's gorgeous graphics.

That probably doesn't help you one bit, but party on!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 26, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Perfect, those sound fun.  I got my kid Ratchet & Clank for Christmas, maybe I'll play that a bit in the meantime.  I suck at FPS, so the third person aspect of the Uncharted games sounds down my alley.  I'll keep an eye out for deals on those.  Thanks!
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 26, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I've seen shots of Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 on TV and that's what really got me interested in the system and "hinting" for Christmas.  If they're anywhere near what I've seen in those commercials, I think I'll be blown away.

I've always enjoyed first person shooters (like the classic Doom games and its various incarnations), so I think third person shooters should be pretty fun for me too.

Thanks from me too from the great info!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 17, 2010, 06:01 PM »
Picked up District 9 today (to enjoy) and to check out the GOW III demo.  Prompted me to update my PS3 which lead me to finally download and check out Home....Ya - kinda lame, but it's free so it was nice to walk around and check things out.  Also tried surfin the web, but it felt strange on my tv so I'll just stick with my PC.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 06:19 PM by iFett »