Author Topic: The Halo 3 & Halo 3: ODST Thread  (Read 48438 times)

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Halo 3 Video Game Thread
« Reply #120 on: August 6, 2008, 09:49 AM »
Gawd, I'm still one freakinn' acheivement from 100 in Halo3. Frickin' "Steppin' Razor."

Oh for those Halophiles out there, Bungie over the weekend announced a new system for ranking! They as yet have not said when it will take effect but it's coming SOON.

Here's the link (scroll down halfway or so until you see "AU Deuce" (which stands for Auto-Update 2): http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=14994

Basically instead of carrying your overall rank into each playlist you will now have a different rank PER PLAYLIST. This includes Ranked and Social. It depends solely on the amount of WINS you have in each category that determines your military rank. Skill now has NO bearing on that. In fact once you reach 600 XP in any given playlist you become a General in that SPECIFIC playlist.

There's more to it than that, so go and read the info in the link.

For me I see it as a good thing. It will encourage those who want to rank up in everything to play all those different playlists. For people like me who are perpetually stuck at Staff Captain, it will mean in some playlists (as in my case Ranked Team Slayer) we'll get a military rank upgrade. Much of my XP is in Ranked Slayer so I may bolt up from the lowly Staff Captain to Brigadier or General. But it also means in those playlists that I have virtually NO XP, that I could be a Sgt or even a recruit. Of course this applies to everyone.

Your OVERALL rank will not change with the update, not will your skill. Overall XP will be accounted for and your overall rank will go up with that and skill. So basically Bungie has just further subdivided the ranking.

Again noone loses their overall ranking and noone loses their overall skill. Just the individual playlist ranks will change, NOT the individual skill ranks as those are already in place.
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 7, 2008, 02:36 AM »
That's good for me my ranks in TS & LW (my two highest) are frozen.

So until then I'm just playing Custom games & SWAT.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 7, 2008, 10:09 AM »
About time. Thanks Sal.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2008, 09:37 PM »
Sal I see you finally got the Steppin Razor achievement. Congrats! I know thats one difficult one to get. I'll probably stay at 880/1000 as I have no patience anymore for those 5 point achievements.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2008, 02:55 AM »
That's hard? That & the regular Triple Kill (I got this with the hammer) were the only online only achievement's I didn't "cheat"* for.

*Cheat meaning people helping me out.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2008, 10:45 AM »
I wish I can get people to help me out to get the last achievement I need in Halo. All my needs are Lone Wolves and I've been able to make it to rank 20 without getting a one.  :(
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2008, 10:49 AM »
That's hard? That & the regular Triple Kill (I got this with the hammer) were the only online only achievement's I didn't "cheat"* for.

*Cheat meaning people helping me out.

I didn't say hard, I said difficult. I got the Triple Kill and Steppin Razor in one shot in Lone Wolves. I still don't understand how some people can get the Overkill achievement.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10 PM »
Sal I see you finally got the Steppin Razor achievement. Congrats! I know thats one difficult one to get. I'll probably stay at 880/1000 as I have no patience anymore for those 5 point achievements.

Thanks!

It WAS difficult for me. I really wasn't paying much attention to the online achievements while playing. So there I was climbing the skill level in Lone Wolf before realizing I had a few achievements to make in that playlist. Once I realized it, there were still 3-4 I needed to get. It became much harder as I was already in the 20s on that playlist and playing people who were highest skill of 30s and higher.

Quite by accident I was lucky to get the Overkill achievement early on in Lone Wolf. I recall that one clearly. I simply shot a rocket at four opponents taking them all out.

I'm very happy that I finally attained that portion of the game. However I really can't wait until Bungie starts the new rank system. At this point I could give a crap about skill rank. I know I'll never get their with my current account, and just don't feel like buying a second account just to rank up quickly. So for me, it's going to be about attaining military ranks in each playlist. And who knows, maybe along the way I may pick up some more of that skill...
I'm just a humble collector trying to make his way through the universe...of toy aisles.
"We are strong. We are resilient. We are American." - President Barack Obama, State of the Union Address 2010

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 4, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Just when you thought it was safe to have 1000/1000 for Halo 3 new info from PAX shows that there should be more achivements (750 GPs worth) on the horizon.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/03/rumor-halo-3-getting-new-achievements-with-mythic/
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 7, 2008, 05:06 PM »
That's pretty interesting. Still doesn't help me polish off what I need from lone wolves.  :P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #130 on: September 7, 2008, 06:58 PM »
Bungie makes it official...

Achievements Unlocked

Inevitably, this will be blown out of context, misread and misunderstood, but let’s do it anyway.

For a number of reasons ranging from obvious to sublime, Title Update 2 (which is the new, hip, Xbox 360-version way of saying “Auto Update” or “Patch”), introduces new Achievements to Halo 3. Last weekend at Penny-Arcade Expo we played Assembly on the TU2, which meant that folks would see and buzz about the new achievements.  These will be made live when TU2 turns on later this month - the previously announced date may slip a bit closer to the Halo 3 one-year anniversary.

Here’s a look at these achievements which can be earned via the Legendary Maps and Halo 3 Campaign:

Vidmaster Challenge: Lightswitch (0 points) – Get to the rank of Lieutenant in any playlist in the new EXP progression system.
Vidmaster Challenge: 7 on 7 (0 points) – Enter into any ranked or social playlist with 7 EXP on the 7th of the month.
Vidmaster Challenge: Annual (0 points) – After 9/25/08, complete Halo on 4-player Legendary LIVE co-op, with Iron, and everyone in Ghosts.
Double Double (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get two Double Kills during any ranked or social match.
Poor Yorick (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 3 Oddball melee kills during any ranked or social match.
Came…From…Behind (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get 3 assassinations during any ranked or social match.
Defend This (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get a flag melee kill during any ranked or social match.
Flag Dropped (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 2 flag carrier kills during any ranked or social match.
Road Rage (25 points) – On a Legendary map, get 5 Warthog chaingun kills during any ranked or social match.
Look Both Ways (50 points) – On a Legendary map, get a Splatter Spree during any ranked or social match.
 As folks have seen, these aren’t the only achievements we’re adding. But without proper context, there’s not a whole lot else we’re going to say. Stay tuned.

I'm all for some easy gamerscore. Most of those are things that you do in any given match. I Think the splatter spree my be kind of tough. I've only had 5 or 6 of them in all the matches I've played. The oddball one will be tricky too, though that 3-ball playlist could make it easy. I played that some last night and averaged 4-5 ball kills a game. I rarely gun in the warthog so that one may take me a little while.

Vidmaster Challenge: 7 on 7 (0 points) – Enter into any ranked or social playlist with 7 EXP on the 7th of the month.

LAME. ::)  >:(
« Last Edit: September 7, 2008, 07:04 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 8, 2008, 09:27 AM »
At least they're all ranked or social matches. Playing rank anymore is becoming a joke. 3/4's of the ranked matches I pay anymore are against account re-starters.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 8, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I can't remember the last time I played Halo 3 online. The last two times I played it, the majority of the players were big time ********. I'll probably go on there one more time to see if it's any different. I doubt it though.
I remember my dream now.

Offline jedi_master_sal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 9, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Well we STILL need too have a JD night on Halo 3.

Since all of our Halo 3 accounts experience will be reset to ZERO.... this might be a good time to play some games together.

I stupidly bought a second account because I was so sick of being a staff captain. That and just last month Bungie said that experience would not be reset. So if exp wasn't being reset, then I'd have been stuck in rank at some playlists.

So I caved and went to the darkside and got a second account. This BEFORE knowing Bungie was just going to go ahead and reset EXP-when they said they were NOT going to.

SO now I"m stuck with a 2nd account that doesn't mean anything. Though in just the scant 4 days I've owned it, I've gotten almost all of the achievements again and have started to climb the skill/EXP list. Still, it burns me that I got this second account. The ONLY reason I got it was for Halo, and at that ONLY because Bungie said they were not resetting EXP. The only real pleasure I've gotten out of this second account is pwning a commander and a colonel. I got an Overkill and Extermination over their team. Honestly, I hate when being faced with 2nd accounters and for the longest time vowed I'd never do it. But Bungies screwed up rank/skill system just finally made me cave.

I guess I'll look forward to the AutoUpdateRESET and the new achievements, but really, I'm starting to get bored with Halo now and the way Bungie is handling the game and it's peripheals.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #134 on: September 9, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Well we STILL need too have a JD night on Halo 3.

Since all of our Halo 3 accounts experience will be reset to ZERO.... this might be a good time to play some games together.

I stupidly bought a second account because I was so sick of being a staff captain. That and just last month Bungie said that experience would not be reset. So if exp wasn't being reset, then I'd have been stuck in rank at some playlists.

So I caved and went to the darkside and got a second account. This BEFORE knowing Bungie was just going to go ahead and reset EXP-when they said they were NOT going to.

SO now I"m stuck with a 2nd account that doesn't mean anything. Though in just the scant 4 days I've owned it, I've gotten almost all of the achievements again and have started to climb the skill/EXP list. Still, it burns me that I got this second account. The ONLY reason I got it was for Halo, and at that ONLY because Bungie said they were not resetting EXP. The only real pleasure I've gotten out of this second account is pwning a commander and a colonel. I got an Overkill and Extermination over their team. Honestly, I hate when being faced with 2nd accounters and for the longest time vowed I'd never do it. But Bungies screwed up rank/skill system just finally made me cave.

I guess I'll look forward to the AutoUpdateRESET and the new achievements, but really, I'm starting to get bored with Halo now and the way Bungie is handling the game and it's peripheals.

I don't know that they are reseting EXP per se... You still keep your Universal ranking and skills, but you now get a seperate EXP tally for each playlist, it is that EXP that will be set to 0 with the autoupdate.
"This is the way."