Author Topic: Tatooine Ghost is killing me...  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Darth Homer

• Youngling
  • "I'll mace you good!"
    • View Profile
Tatooine Ghost is killing me...
« on: May 8, 2003, 12:32 AM »
Has anyone read this book?  I've got about 50 pages to go but I've been annoyed the whole time.  I really don't like how they've tried to tie in the prequels with the OT.  Anyone else feel this way...
"I wish God was alive to see this" - Homer

"Oh Jar Jar, everyone hates you but me." - Comic Book Guy

Got a question, got a trade to make, looking for a particular figure, want to set up a MOH Spearhead or RTCW game.  Drop me an email...

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Tatooine Ghost is killing me...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 06:46 AM »
I read it a few Sundays back as an afternoon diversion, and I can completely understand your frustration. All the drama in the book comes from Leia finding out about her past, the scenes of her with Shmi's diary are the real heart of the book, but no one wants to write a book about someone reading a book, so they build this whole action-adventure on top of it that sort of just gets in the way.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't skim past a lot of Han and Leia's journey to get through that book.

Still, I thought the prequel-OT were tied together about as good as they could be here, though it does point out a lot of bigger issues (ie does the whole Galaxy know Anakin became Vader? Do they all know Vader was Luke's daddy?)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Tatooine Ghost is killing me...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2003, 09:25 PM »
I finished it last month and for the most part, I liked it.  I agree that the best parts were Shmi's diary and I also thought the same thing  "Did everyone on Tatooine know that Anakin was Darth Vader?"  And if not, why did no one ever say to Luke, "Gee you have the same last name as that kid that won the Boonta Eve race and then went off to be a Jedi".  I mean only later does Ben tell Luke that Vader murdered his "father".
I guess, Luke really WAS stuck on the farm ;)

But all in all, I thought it was OK, I've read worse (Crystal Star anyone??) so I'd give it three stars out of five; the action sequence was predictable, wasn't really thrilled with the character build up of the three "partners" but Shmi's diary entries were nice tie-in's and the explanation about the ghost of the Tuskan Raiders was a nice touch.
Beth