Author Topic: Magnetic Articulation  (Read 4522 times)

Offline RollaJedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Twisted by the Dark Side
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets.com
Magnetic Articulation
« on: May 11, 2006, 04:12 PM »
Has anyone ever tried this?  If you cast a figure, put magnets into the casting of the different pieces and attach limbs and the head this way, instead of the pegs?  I just wonder if maybe it might be easier. 

Thanks jedipurge for the idea on your other post btw!
W W W . C O R E P L A N E T S . C O M
www.coreplanets.com
Missouri and Kansas Star Wars Fan Site

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
Re: Magnetic Articulation
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Ala Saga Tusken Raider I'm assuming?  sounds like a perfect idea for a certian Count.  I was think along the lines of a very small ball bearing and the small magnets to give grevious the articultion he deserves.  maybe in the pelvic, elbows, and shoulders.  i'm thinking hasbro' s knee artic. on him is good enough.  let me know what you guys think.  and if anybody else wants to use the idea feel free b/c with the back up of WIP's i got going on i don't know when i'd even get started.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline The_Tin_Man

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Site
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:27 PM »
  sounds like a perfect idea for a certian Count. 

That's a good idea. I will have to try that.  :)
Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 03:10 PM by The_Tin_Man »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 09:25 PM »
The problem, as I'm sure everyone can experiment with, will be that tiny magnets usually = tiny strength...  One can take a gander at 2002/2003's Saga line's attempts at the use of magnets to see what I mean.

The magnets in hands to hold sabers barely even made any impact.  Anakin's magnet to hold his arm was ultimately replaced with a plastic post due to the lack of strength causing him to suffer amputation upon a stiff breeze...  The TUsken's head fares a LITTLE better, not so much because of strength but how the head just rests on the neck...  It helps too that the collar of the neck extends up over the neck itself and sort of lets it rest.  It's still incredibly weak though and it falls off pretty readily if you bump it or move it much.

I think magnets have a cool place, but holding limbs in place isn't it to me.  I don't think it'll result in much sturdiness.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline ThePerennial

• Jedi Initiate
  • "..And shoot the loudmouth first!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 09:56 PM »
you could use those very strong earth magnets. You know, the ones that can flatten a toe if it were placed in between two while they were attracted to one another. Then again, using it on a custom may me a way too expensive way to go.

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 10:03 PM »
Just hit up Radio Shack and ask for "Rare Earth" Magnets.  They're about $5 per set and they should be strong enough to hold a limb.
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline Outrider

• Jedi Initiate
  • IMPS RULE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 10:07 PM »
I did a custom years ago with a megnet, very strong magnets similar to the Saga OATC kind and it worked great.  Actually they were a bit too strong.  It was for a Dagobah Vader-back in the early 90's
NOTE TO HASBRO,
SA JANGO would sell quite well!

Offline The_Tin_Man

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Site
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 10:22 PM »
Just hit up Radio Shack and ask for "Rare Earth" Magnets.  They're about $5 per set and they should be strong enough to hold a limb.
How many come in 1 set ?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:28 PM by The_Tin_Man »

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 10:49 PM »
1 North
1 South

Offline The_Tin_Man

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Site
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 07:59 AM »
OK thanks  :)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 01:16 PM »
If you are looking for strong magnets, find some Permanet magnets. The best are SmCo5 (I don't know how to write it right on my keyboard), Sm2Co17 (again the same), sintered NdFeB, bonded NdFeB, and AlNiCo. They are all good in different ways depending on what you want. All of them should work in the size and weight though in most cases.

I have been working on using them to hold stowage on my models, so I can change them when ever I want without totally reworking the model.

I haven't restocked in a while, but you should be able to get them on-line for about $0.15 to $0.50 for the size you want. I got my help from a member on a board that is a Science Teacher, so if you look for more information track one down. They are a big help.

roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 02:46 PM »
 ;D i love JD and the members, and staff, here great ideas all around lots of useful info.  i hope to try some of these suggestions as soon as i can.  depending on how strong these magnets are and where you position them on a grevious maybe you could get him in that 6 legged positon when he's "running" over to the wheel bike.
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 03:20 PM »
depending on how strong these magnets are and where you position them on a grevious maybe you could get him in that 6 legged positon when he's "running" over to the wheel bike.

So...awesome!  Definitely keep us updated on this SA Grievous.