Author Topic: Target Exclusive Imperial Shuttle  (Read 91005 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: TSC Imperial Shuttle??
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2006, 08:11 PM »
To help enlighten everyone on manufacturers profit margins vs. what a retailer makes there is a general rule of dividing the retail cost by 4.
If Hasbro wants to retail this for $90 the need to have a Exfactory cost (What is costs hasbro to make) of $23. In turn they would sell the item to TRU for around $55. TRU would need to make at minimum around 40-45% on the item and retail it for $90. There is a little give or take but it will be very close if you divide by 4.

If you divide $90 by 4 you get $22.50, so does that mean if the retailer sells it for $90, their profit should be $22.50?

Because in your example their profit is $45, rendering the formula irrelevant.

Read it again: 4 into 90 is 22.50 that is what it costs Hasbro to manufacture, Hasbro needs to make money on it so they sell it to TRU for $45-$55. TRU buys its for $45-$55 and sells it to you for $90 so they make money. Makes perfect sense. you the consumer are at the bottom of the food chain. TRU is the middleman.
(remember the give and take part so if its of by 5% off dont get your panties in a bunch)

Let me know if you need me to make it clear for you further with apples and oranges.
An Exfactory cost is What is costs Hasbro to make it. Raw materials, molds plastic, package, shipping labor etc.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 08:17 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2006, 02:16 PM »
Thanks a ton Jack!
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2006, 02:24 PM »
Wow, so it's TRU's fualt for a $ 90 AT-AT. Stupid TRU.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2006, 09:15 PM »
So Jack, in your experiences with Mattel did rehashes affect the formula at all? $22.50 still seems too high considering this is an old mold.
"This is the way."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2006, 10:02 PM »

Read it again: 4 into 90 is 22.50 that is what it costs Hasbro to manufacture,

(remember the give and take part so if its of by 5% off dont get your panties in a bunch)

Let me know if you need me to make it clear for you further with apples and oranges.

Okay, that's what I thought.  Your original post said this:

To help enlighten everyone on manufacturers profit margins vs. what a retailer makes there is a general rule of dividing the retail cost by 4.
If Hasbro wants to retail this for $90 the need to have a Exfactory cost (What is costs hasbro to make) of $2.

I see you went back and edited that last $2 (what it costs Hasbro) to $23 after my initial reply.  After you fixed your typo, the formula makes sense.

So no, I don't have my "panties in a bunch" and don't need it "made clearer with apples and oranges,"  I just needed you to post your math correctly in the first place. 

Thanks for the insight.

:)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2006, 10:04 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #110 on: September 18, 2006, 12:12 AM »
Dressel Rebel,

All good my man, my panties were in a bunch that day. Sorry for the first email if it was not clear. :D

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #111 on: September 18, 2006, 12:18 AM »
So Jack, in your experiences with Mattel did rehashes affect the formula at all? $22.50 still seems too high considering this is an old mold.

Not at all $20-23 sounds about right. They are getting killed on frieght and plastic (becuase of oil prices) Old molds help profit margins and occasionly help lower price after the tool/mold is paid off. Any Toy company for its the same in that matter. Once the tool is paid off its like printing money. But also if an item gets marked down say like EP1 stuff Hasbro has to credit the retailer back because it did not sell. There is risk for both retailer and manufacturer so they are not as evil as you think. After all its buisness.

Speaking of old tools, after so much use a tool wears down eventually. so if you look at the POTJ Chewie thats been used over a thousand times some details get lost or sloppy. They made there money back on that one 20 times over. So they should retire it, but alas they get another squeeze with the Marvel line............

Its nice to see the Shuttle for this price, its very fair. There is really not much to it afterall no electronics or sound.

By the way I worked at 2 different offices at Mattel. They transferred me to headquarters in CA (where action figures are done) The marketing guys killed the various lines. Manty of the designers, beleive it or not were on the same page as everyone else. The CA office was full of the biggest pricks that I ever met, its no wonder why the company is going down hill. Its why I left, the NJ ofice was awesome before the ***** closed it. I heard from old co-workers they fired most of the management its an all new crew. They still suck.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:25 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Target Exclusive Imperial Shuttle
« Reply #112 on: October 5, 2006, 12:35 PM »
Is there any word on when the Target-exclusive Imperial Shuttle will be out on shelves? The product's DPCI# is 087-06-0483 and it's saying its $59.99. (SWC, 9/29/06)

No comment.

Again, the question was asked in the last QNA session with Hasbro.  Why have all the other retailer exclusives been announced but not this one (officially)?

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 5, 2006, 12:48 PM »
Yeah, it is interesting how they handle that question too.  They could very easily say "no, its not on the schedule at this time - but a great idea for the future" or some nonsense like that.  To me, the "no comment", as well as the pics/info we've seen over the past couple months tells me that it is indeed coming at some point - but when/where have yet to be officially confirmed.  I for one am hoping that it is on the way, since I didn't get it/couldn't afford it the last time it was offered.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #114 on: October 5, 2006, 04:02 PM »
We know the "where," we just don't know the "when" at this point.  Either Target or Hasbro just isn't ready to announce it yet.  I'm sure they'll be on shelves for the all-important Christmas buying season, though.

We should start a pool here, for when they'll show up.  I'm taking the week of November 12.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #115 on: October 5, 2006, 04:03 PM »
There are clear shots of this bad boy now over at RS.  HERE

Looks like vader might be VOTC.
« Last Edit: October 5, 2006, 04:04 PM by darthmac »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #116 on: October 5, 2006, 04:08 PM »
There are clear shots of this bad boy now over at RS.  HERE

Eh, now the one clear shot of this bad boy is over here, too.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 5, 2006, 05:17 PM »

We should start a pool here, for when they'll show up. I'm taking the week of November 12.

Week of the 19th for me (with an emphasis on the 24th).

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #118 on: October 5, 2006, 06:02 PM »
I'd really prefer the ROTS Imperial Guard packed in, I felt he was be the best one since the Vintage version.  I really don't care for the plastic robes.  Also regardless of version we need full lenght staffs, not these half lenght staffs or guns.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #119 on: October 5, 2006, 06:04 PM »
Week of the 19th for me (with an emphasis on the 24th).

That's a surprise. 

Now, allow me to clarify this "I'll pay for your Shuttle" thing, if I may:  I'll still hold true to my word on it, but only if it's a hard street date-type situation.  You know, like the past midnight madness events were for the prequel toy launches.  Like if they show up with "DO NOT SELL BEFORE 11/24/06" stickers all over the cases, something like that.  If they show up a few days earlier, with a soft street date, and anyone can go in and buy one, then the deal's off.

I still don't think it'll be a Black Friday item, but I will say that the closer we get, and the more "no comments" we hear outta Hasbro, the more nervous I get. . .  :)
« Last Edit: October 5, 2006, 06:08 PM by Matt »