Author Topic: Glorbes Customs (New Vader and Stormtrooper 1:12 scale-9)  (Read 80011 times)

Offline Gregorbian

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I gotta get to Buckethead's Toy Store!
    • View Profile
    • Gregorbian's Photobucket
Re: Glorbes Customs (6" R2 and 3P0, p.2)
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2006, 10:06 PM »
Jeez Glorbes, you're a friggin' arteest!  I love this entire "series" that you've been putting out.  I really like the concept R2.  The fact that you made him from what is essentially "garbage" is just awesome! 
As usual, the paint apps and sculpting are top notch.  I'm so glad you joined here and decided to share these excellent customs with us!
The scariest thing that I've ever seen,
Is the terrible AT-AT walking machine.
It's as big as a house on walking legs,
and whatever it steps on it crushes like eggs.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Smartypants1635

Thanks for the kind feedback!  The slender look seems to be more a quality of the prequel designs...I guess this version of Threepio sort of combines those design elements that I like with the more weathered and battered look of the older films.  I prefer the used universe, but I must say the elegant touches of Ian McCaig and Doug Chiang are not without their charm.

jedistyle

Thanks for the feedback, man.  Yeah, Threepio's blade was a bit whimsical and unintended...originally it was much longer, but then I figured that would be too much.

BrentS

Thanks for commenting.  I'll be sure to post a group shot of  these customs together when they're all up...that should give you a sense of scale.  Heck, I'll throw in a shot with a Star Wars figure too  ;).  Thanks again.

Fritzkrieg

Thanks for the feedback, man.  These customs are in 1/12 scale (roughly 6").  I've provided a link of the base figure I used for Threepio:

http://www.youbuynow.com/img/items/110963359993326100.jpg

Hopefully it gives a sense of the changes I made and the things I kept.

speedermike

Thanks for posting in here, and for the kind words.  The Luke design that you mentioned is indeed the one that I used for inspiration...I'll be posting my Lady Luke next.  Thanks again.

glassman6

Thanks for the kind feedback, glassman.  Artoo was a fun challenge...I couldn't think of any Artoos in 6" scale, so I guess a bit of parts harvesting really was required.

RollaJedi

Thanks for the tips and for the feedback, man.  Pretty cool stuff there too.  For lightsabers, I found this clear, very small doweling at a model/hobby/railroad shop...they had green, blue, and red colors...perfect for sabers at this scale.  Check it out...it was with the railroad models.

Gregorbian

Thanks for the feedback, man.  It's a very nice thing to hear that you feel this stuff contributes to the boards in some way...thanks again for the kind welcome.

Thanks for checking out my customs, everyone!

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2006, 11:37 AM »
"Luke"

McQuarrie had designs numerous outfits and looks for the central characters.  One that always caught my imagination was a drawing of a female Luke Skywalker (or whatever the character's name was at that stage of development).  This is my take on that sketch.

The head, torso, and arms are a ML Elektra.  The hands are from the Leila figure I used as a base for my Threepio, and the pelvis and legs are from an X-Men Classics Gambit figure.  The musculature is a little too defined on the legs for my tastes, but I have yet to fix it.  The cap is epoxy putty with leather and vinyl goggles, and the tunic is leather with Darth Maul macrobinoculars.  The lightsaber is my favorite hobby doweling and some pieces of metal tubing and leather for the hilt.  The gun is made from bits and pieces, and the holster is leather.  The back pack is just a piece of junk fodder that I thought looked cool.

Stormtrooper

Just the same custom that Hemble posted before on my behalf.  The head is an original sculpt (and is a bit rough...it was one of my earliest customs from this series and I was still refining my sculpting skills on this one).  The body is a modifed X-Men Ruby Quartz armour cyclops figure, and the gun is a modified Matrix Twin machine gun.  The back pack is a Cyclops accessory with Plan B WWII German accessories added.

WIP

Let me know what you think, and thanks for looking.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 11:41 AM by glorbes »

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
Slave 1 repaint
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2006, 01:20 PM »
This was done well over a year ago, and is pretty much the only customizing I've done on the 3/34 " scale.  Its a repaint of the Episode II Slave 1 to look like the ESB color scheme:

I used images of the actual model for reference.

I did have a neutrally posed/modified Boba Fett, but he took a nose dive off the shelf a long time ago.  SO, here's the 300th figure Boba instead:

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: Glorbes Customs (6" Luke and Stormtrooper, 3)
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2006, 02:08 PM »
I don't say "OMG" very often. But I believe now might be the right time...

The Slave one looks nice, like you said, the StormTrooper is a little rough, but I really do love the head sculpt anyway, (any thoughts on giving him a shield & light saber?), And  that concept 'Starkiller' is truly amazing (I was always facinated by that one)!

These are all amazing, man! The soft/lether/vinal goods are astoundingly awesome. Any chance we could get some group pics with Han, Chwie, Luke/Liea, & the droids? Or even just "Luke" & Vader?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 02:09 PM by PenDragon »

Offline Darth_Ennis

• Jedi Padawan
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2006, 03:56 PM »
What more can I say other than I am not worthy. :o :o

Offline kirk_dougall

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2006, 07:08 PM »
WOW!
I bought the 3 vintage folders of ralphs concept art last year and always thought they'd be cool customized, you've done a great job here, I especially like Vader and Luke.
I too would like to see the stormtrooper with a shield and saber.
http://www.generationxmodels.co.uk
U.K Stockist of Sideshow, Gentle Giant, Master Replicas and Kotobukiya.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2006, 07:13 PM »
Your concept figures are so damn awesome... I would buy them in a heartbeat... imagine if that was the direction the Unleashed went... wow.  I would also love to see all of these figures made by Hasbro that you've done in a 3-3/4" scale. 

The Slave I repaint is stunning.  It looks like a true film prop.

And I've never seen Luke look sexier.   ;D

:)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2006, 11:08 PM »
Your concept figures are so damn awesome... I would buy them in a heartbeat... imagine if that was the direction the Unleashed went... wow.  I would also love to see all of these figures made by Hasbro that you've done in a 3-3/4" scale. 

I would like to second. Hasbro, if you're listening, hire glorbes. Damn it.

That is all.

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #39 on: April 1, 2007, 09:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.  Its been a VERY long while since I've posted anything...mostly due to the fact that I haven't made any Star Wars customs in well over half a year.  But, I've picked up a few ideas along the way, and figured I'd jump back in the SW saddle.

First up is a revamp/redux of a previous custom:

General Grievous

After acquiring some inspiration and some sheets of styrene, I set about updating and completing my custom Grievous. 

The chest, upper arm, forearm, and shin armor is made from styrene. That was the major structural alteration to what I had previously. 

I also did an extensive repaint, trying to bring the look of the character that much closer to the final design in the film (but still not quite 100%).

For his cloak, I just used some scrap material, lined the seams with wire to give it some poseability, and made sure I could easily slip it on and off from around the neck.  The scale of the fabric is a bit too heavy for a figure this size, but I think it looks alright.

Now, I'm aware that my version of the character is still off-model from the character in the film, but that has to do with working around action figure articulation and a much bulkier base.  I actually have plans to revisit the character using armature wire in order to create a more accurate model, but this figure fits the bill for now.  Among the issues that I'm eager to solve in any subsequent versions is creating the four arms attached to two axis (as opposed to this version that has a separate joint for all four arms). 

This was a challenging figure, and while not perfect, I'm finally happy with how he looks on the shelf. 

« Last Edit: April 1, 2007, 09:48 PM by glorbes »

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #40 on: April 1, 2007, 09:53 PM »
General Obi Wan Kenobi

When I was a kid, my imagination ran wild with the whole Clone Wars thing. A throwaway line from my favorite movie, and it pretty much grew to a massive epic, featuring thousands of Jedi fighting a bunch of guys in Boba Fett armor, while also fighting badass Dark Jedi, all in a desperate attempt to save the Republic from destruction. The creation of Darth Vader, the origins of the Mandalorian armor that Fett wore (was he a former Stormtrooper, and if not, what was his story?), and a whole lot of Jedi getting slaughtered against the backdrop of epic battles and destruction. I guess we kind of got this stuff in the prequels, but it just didn't seem as cool as what I imagined. It was all just so "meh"...which I guess could be attributed to the fact that I was, like, seven years old when I first worked myself up into a tizzy, and now I'm in my mid-twenties.

But I digress. For a while now, I've been toying with the idea of creating figures of characters from the Clone Wars that completely ignores the prequels and attempts to explore stuff that I would have liked to see. Obviously, I can't completely divorce my mind from the films, and the fact is I like Grievous and I like a lot of the Jedi character designs...but for this figure, I was looking more for a badass, armored and ready for battle Obi Wan.

The base figure is Theoden. I initially tried to rework the armor he had, but it was too bulky and too recognizable as Theoden's armor, so after wasting some time and epoxy putty, I simply removed the pieces of armor and built my own using styrene. Its actually very similar to Theoden's torso armor, but I made the design more angular and a little more industrial looking. I wanted to evoke a medieval knight, but I also wanted it to look like it could be some sort of retro-futuristic suit.

The Bernard Hill likeness is pretty good, which works against me separating the face from the character. But, I also saw a bit of Alec Guinness in the sculpt, so I tried to paint the face and eyes to look like Obi Wan from the first trilogy, but perhaps a bit younger (not too young though).

The idea that I had for this figure was that Jedi, while powerful, are not superheroes either, and would benefit from wearing protective gear in battle. I thought about making the armor white, but I want to save that for an idea I'm cooking up for a Clone Trooper. In this case, I decided that the black, tarnished armor was simple and functional, and that Kenobi had seen plenty of action throughout the war. He is, after all, a general.

« Last Edit: April 1, 2007, 09:53 PM by glorbes »

Offline glorbes

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • Glorbesworld
« Reply #41 on: April 1, 2007, 09:57 PM »
Stormtrooper Mk II

Initially, I was going to do some whacked-out Clone design, but I got an idea of how to make a slightly tighter Stormtrooper helmet that I hoped would improve upon my previous version, and went with it. I can always make a Clone later on

The base figure is 100% movie Green Goblin. The shin armor is...from the fodder pile. The chest and stomach armor is styrene with a few fodder bits here and there, and the helmet is epoxy putty with vinyl panels.

The panels were placed on a rough shape for the helmet to create the details and signature profile of the helmet. The nozzles at the bottom-front of the helmet are crooked, which is bugging the hell out of me but I'm probably not going to fix it.

The thighs and arms are covered in leather. This is based on some of McQuarrie's designs, where parts of the armor on his initial stormtrooper illustrations were made up of leather. The cape is fabric, and the right shoulder armor is from a ML8 Iron Man.

The rifle is a combination of a few different guns from the fodder pile with a leather strap thrown in. I'm happier with parts of this custom than with my previous trooper...but I still plan to make a Clone Trooper.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Glorbes Customs (Grievous Redux, Obi Wan, Stormtrooper, P. 3)
« Reply #42 on: April 1, 2007, 10:39 PM »
 :o :o :o :o I'm very much speechless and wordless.They're very Awesome and cool!!! Especialy the Vader and Obi!,but I like them all
Great job!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline hemble

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ron's military models and custom figures
« Reply #43 on: April 2, 2007, 05:02 AM »
Hi glorbes

It's good to see your own section over here, I've commented on the older figures over at Fwoosh but again you are the king when it comes to combining different parts and materials together.

The Stormtrooper Mk 2 -  is awesome it's something that you would expect to see doing patrols in and around Mos Eisley, The helmet is very well done I did'nt even notice the pipe until you said it was crooked but it's only minor.

Obi Wan - What a great take on Obi in clone armour very old republic but still holding the true essence of the SW universe I like the fact that you went with a darker metallic look with the armour instead of the white armour look, as always the combination of plastics and cloth work is awesome keep up the fantastic work.

Ron

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #44 on: April 2, 2007, 11:39 PM »
Again, these things are friggin' great!  I also want to see a group shot of all the main characters.

Your General Kenobi looks a lot like how I imagined the Clone Wars when I was young too.  I think that in E3 Obi and Ani should have worn some armour to show how desperate things had gotten.

Have you done a 6 inch Boba Fett?  Would love to see that...

Keep up the very creative work!----Mike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com