Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 127064 times)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #540 on: November 15, 2005, 04:43 PM »
The good thing with Bust-Ups is that they can all have severed arms if you want!  (bah-dump-tsshhh)  :D

I'm very excited to see the announcement of Series 6 - I'm glad to see I was wrong about the potential near end of this line.  It's one of my favourites out there.

I think they've made excellent choices for this series - it keeps with the riff-raff feel of the Cantina.  I think they could have gotten away with not having Han in this series since he's already been done and had Dr Evazan or Wuher instead (I'd be happy to have either of those as chases).  That being said, I don't think they'll do a different character for a chase since they haven't done that in any of the previous waves.

I just hope they stay away from the stupid silver chases (like Boba in Series 3).   ::)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 04:43 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 15, 2005, 04:50 PM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority, but the Han is one of the ones I'm most looking forward to...as is normal for me I guess.  I just think, at least from this one picture, that it looks much better than the one in Series 1.  If I decide to pick up a few more of these, I think I'd just get this Series 6 version and skip on the first one as well (since I can't be a completist with them anyways).

Also, if anyone is interested BigBadToyStore seems to have individual bust ups from Series 4 for sale as well (if anyone hasn't seen that already).  I'm tempted to order the Yoda, since I'll likely go OT-only with these anyways, but I don't want to pay to ship just one bust up here.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 15, 2005, 11:54 PM »
I think these new ones look great, and also are fun for customizing fodder to mix and match parts with the regular Hasbro line.

Frankly, I'm not surprised that these have been a success.  Anything in the 3-3/4 scale is usually successful with Star Wars.  Seems like there is no much negativity with people thinking (or maybe even wanting) the end of Star Wars.  Guess I'm just a glass if half full kind of person.

For example of what can be done with a custom, here's the that Darth Delicious made with the Emperor one.  I plan on doing something simimilar, but to cannibalize the parts a little more to try and get the proportions more how I like them, and to probably repaint it too.  Especially the face.

:P

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 16, 2005, 12:51 AM »
One of the guys over at scum did an awsome custom with the zuckuss bust up, using sculpey to add to the lower half of it.
And i remember seeing the same done with bits from the stormtrooper and chewie.
Series 6 looks awesome.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 19, 2005, 10:49 PM »
Okay, I bought my first two Bust Ups today and was wondering how hard the older ones are to get minus the chase pieces of course.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 19, 2005, 11:05 PM »
The Han from series 6 is the only one I might buy....depends how good it turns out.

But I do agree....I am real glad that this line is continuing....gives GG a chance to make "busts" of secondary characters that might not sell as well if they were $40+

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 20, 2005, 01:25 AM »
Okay, I bought my first two Bust Ups today and was wondering how hard the older ones are to get minus the chase pieces of course.

You sir are ahead of the game.  They're dirt cheap for the most part and chase are easy to find, IMO.  Check ebay, doesn't seem to be a lot of desire for them.  You should be fine, certainly not above retail.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 20, 2005, 02:44 PM »

You sir are ahead of the game.  They're dirt cheap for the most part and chase are easy to find, IMO.  Check ebay, doesn't seem to be a lot of desire for them.  You should be fine, certainly not above retail.

Thank you very much kind sir.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 21, 2005, 09:30 AM »
I saw the ROTS series at the local comic shop last week, so I picked up the Yoda.  I really like it, and its nice to have an OT version.  My grand total of bust ups is now 3 (Chewie, Yoda, C-3PO), but I'm getting tempted to pick up some more here and there.  The Hoth wave just looks so tempting to get them all, and that Cantina wave is much the same.  Now I just need to see if I can pick up some of the earlier OT busts, especially a Stormtrooper, Vader, Fett, etc.  I really like the Cantina wave Han, so I might just wait and get that version instead of Series 1.  Nice to see this line continuing, hopefully it does well so that will continue to be the case.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 22, 2005, 12:23 PM »
I lucked out this weekend when I went into a comic shop and found a case of Series 4.  So I grabbed 1 of each Bust-Up (and 2 Clones hoping to get 1 of each version).  I haven't opened them yet, but the pics sure look great.

Now I just need to see if I can pick up some of the earlier OT busts, especially a Stormtrooper, Vader, Fett, etc.

If you're interested in a Boba Fett, I'm pretty sure I've got an extra (still sealed in the plastic).  Feel free to PM me and I'll check.  :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 28, 2005, 03:39 PM »
So if they are showing in comic shops, I assume they will hit the regular Suncoast/Hot Topic stores soon?

:P

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2005, 03:59 PM »
So if they are showing in comic shops, I assume they will hit the regular Suncoast/Hot Topic stores soon?

I saw some at Suncoast this weekend, so start hitting the mall.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 2, 2005, 06:53 PM »
Finally got around to picking up some Series 4.  Still need the clone with blaster and both Anakins.  Can't blame the store guy, he's still sitting on Boba's and some series 1 stuff, so his order was pretty limited.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 6, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Anybody else find a Commander Gree bust up?
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 6, 2005, 10:10 PM »
Anybody else find a Commander Gree bust up?

Oh don't do this to me, please don't.   :-\

Still need a BK Vader ;)