Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 126233 times)

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!
« Reply #855 on: January 6, 2007, 11:46 AM »
And with the AOTC Clone 4 pack coming out who knows what kind of chase they'll put in those.

A green sergeant:

« Last Edit: January 6, 2007, 12:36 PM by starwax137 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 6, 2007, 01:43 PM »
I've been incredibly fortunate as I've received a blackhole stormtrooper and a Gree variant with my SWS.com orders.  I'd love to have one of each type of those variants, but I refuse to pay that kind of money.  Smoke Anakin may be the death of me too, because I've been complete up until this point.  I don't think I'd want to be backtracking either :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 6, 2007, 06:16 PM »
And with the AOTC Clone 4 pack coming out who knows what kind of chase they'll put in those.

A green sergeant:

Why can't it be the Blue Lt?  :-\
I remember my dream now.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 6, 2007, 07:29 PM »
I had preordered multiples of each 4-Pack in order to get each colour in each pose, but decided it was just too much money to commit.  Then add the battle-damaged versions exclusive to SWS.com and it quickly added up to $200.  I guess AOTC Bust-Ups won't be a priority for me.  :-\

(As an aside, it's kind of funny that SWS.com refers to the green AOTC Bust-Up as Gree.  Uh, wrong movie.)

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 6, 2007, 08:42 PM »
I like these, but they just became too prolific producing them. I finally bailed, and sold everything except a blackhole stormie and a sealed 3 pack from SWS.com  :-\  I guess it came down to Kubricks or bust-ups, and Kubricks won

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 6, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Which blackhole stormie is it? :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #861 on: January 18, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Up next... Clone Wars Box Set.

4 Clones and Saesee Tiin in his nifty armor.

Sorry for the tiny little picture, it's all that's out there so far.  Look for the official announcement soon I'd guess...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 18, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Holy crap! Saesee Tiin in his armour is a must have with the Clones.  8)

Here's a slightly bigger pic:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 10:59 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 19, 2007, 03:56 PM »
 :o :o  Holy cow! Where did you get Saesee Tinn.I must have!NOW!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline bluesnaggletooth1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 8, 2007, 05:27 PM »
Heads up: Received my AOTC Clone Trooper 4-packs today from SWS. Out of four clean sets and four dirty sets: NO VARIANT. Also, nothing is printed anywhere on the packaging about a variant.
-Snags

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #865 on: February 10, 2007, 12:38 PM »
Well.... I'll be damned.

There's been some debate in the community about whether or not Hasbro can make playsets, and also doing some sort of build-a-figure stuff.  Some collectors have supported this, some have not.  But one things for sure, is that Hasbro has not.  From time to time I bring this stuff up, for better or worse trying to push for some support for a company like Gentle Giant to work on playsets/mini dioramas to go in scale with our collections.

According today from Scum with the Gentle Giant Bust Ups -

But the big news is that the Bust-Ups will be changing a bit this year, taking a cue from GGS's other Bust-Ups lines. Instead of simply creating busts of the characters, there will also be full figures (still small scale) and scenes! The first set features the Death Star, and includes Tarkin, Death Star Gunner (posed with a Mouse Droid), and more Imperials.

Is Gentle Giant getting into mini playsets?  So a company actually understands there is a demand for realistic dioramas??  I'm hoping that Gentle Giant takes this and RUNS WITH IT - because:

A) - Hasbro is unwilling

B) - Gentle Giant stuff looks REAL

So, thank you Gentle Giant for looking into a creative way of doing something that Hasbro has tried to avoid and made excuses for not doing.  I can't wait to see what Gentle Giant has in store for collectors.

Also, something else that Hasbro has scoffed at -

Also unique this year is a "build-a-figure" set. Each piece will include extra pieces to assemble a larger item. Wave 1 will be R2-D2, and wave 2 is possible going to be an AT-ST. (No pictures were allowed since these are not yet final.)

Cool news on that front too...

:P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 10, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Well.... I'll be damned.

There's been some debate in the community about whether or not Hasbro can make playsets, and also doing some sort of build-a-figure stuff.  Some collectors have supported this, some have not.  But one things for sure, is that Hasbro has not.  From time to time I bring this stuff up, for better or worse trying to push for some support for a company like Gentle Giant to work on playsets/mini dioramas to go in scale with our collections.

According today from Scum with the Gentle Giant Bust Ups -

But the big news is that the Bust-Ups will be changing a bit this year, taking a cue from GGS's other Bust-Ups lines. Instead of simply creating busts of the characters, there will also be full figures (still small scale) and scenes! The first set features the Death Star, and includes Tarkin, Death Star Gunner (posed with a Mouse Droid), and more Imperials.

Is Gentle Giant getting into mini playsets?  So a company actually understands there is a demand for realistic dioramas??  I'm hoping that Gentle Giant takes this and RUNS WITH IT - because:

A) - Hasbro is unwilling

B) - Gentle Giant stuff looks REAL

So, thank you Gentle Giant for looking into a creative way of doing something that Hasbro has tried to avoid and made excuses for not doing.  I can't wait to see what Gentle Giant has in store for collectors.

Also, something else that Hasbro has scoffed at -

Also unique this year is a "build-a-figure" set. Each piece will include extra pieces to assemble a larger item. Wave 1 will be R2-D2, and wave 2 is possible going to be an AT-ST. (No pictures were allowed since these are not yet final.)

Cool news on that front too...

I wouldn't get my panties wound too tight just yet.  This won't satisfy any of your needs and it neither vindicates your opinion of what should be done with respect to playsets nor does it lionize Gentle Giant.

First, this discussion belongs in the bustups thread, so a mod can move it over there because these aren't busts.

Second, take a look at this picture:

That's the TAC Galactic Marine on the right side.  On the left side is a clone wars bustup from Gentle Giant.  In the middle are what is coming from Gentle Giant.  They are not modifiable, poseable, large or sturdy.  Yeah, they're neat looking but that's the scale you're going to be getting from Gentle Giant.  You got it right when you said mini because that's what they are.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 10, 2007, 06:02 PM »
The current Bust Ups are pretty much in scale with the Hasbro stuff.  Just haven't had lower bodies in the past.  If they keep them at that scale and add lower bodies, awesome.  If they reduce the scale, then I definitely would pass.  I'm not looking at them as a replacement for Hasbro figures, but if Gentle Giant is willing to make some sort of Hasbro scale dioramas, that would be great and I'll buy them.  Maybe you will too, or maybe that's just not your thing.  I'm trying to keep a positive, optimistic look on it because for about a decade now I've been wanting Hasbro (or whoever) to make some environments for figures.  Hopefully it happens, if not then those of us who aren't getting the stuff we want made will continue to push for it.   

And yeah if someone wants to go ahead and move this into the Bust Up thread, I did put it in the wrong area... looked but didn't see that thread as I was in a hurry and had to get moving.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 06:04 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 11, 2007, 03:33 AM »
So I guess the Bust-Ups are changing from waist-up figures to full figures.  I guess this is my cue to exit.  :-\

Offline starwax137

• Jedi Initiate
  • Go away.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 11, 2007, 02:08 PM »
It said there with still be waist-ups along with the full figures. My impression is that the ones that will be full figures will be 'short' characters they wouldn't make otherwise, like the Ewoks they mentioned.