Author Topic: Galactic Marines and Snowtroopers: Similarities and Differences?  (Read 5129 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
I was looking over the top ten lists, where the Galactic Marine ranked as our most-wanted figure from Sith, and the Snowtrooper our most wanted Empire figure, and that got me thinking about the outfits of these guys, and exactly how close they are to each other.  They look almost identical to me, but some of you guys have a much more keen eye for detail than I do, so I was wondering if someone could go through and pick out out the differences. 

This leads up to the issue of whether or not Hasbro would theoretically be able to make just one sculpt for both of them, and repaint it accordingly, or if they would have to make two separate sculpts, to be as accurate as possible to the costumes.

This is kind of like the thing with the BARC Trooper and the Biker Scout, where, to the casual observer, they look the same, but upon closer inspection, there are enough subtle differences between the two that a simple repaint just wouldn't suffice in the "film accuracy" deparatment.

Any help here would be hot.   :-[
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
The biggest difference is the helmet.  The Empire snowtrooper has 2 separate eye visors, but the Sith Galactic Marine has a solid strip visor connecting the two eyes, like a clone helmet.

The boots have some differences  It seems that the Sith Galactic Marine has a series of straps and buckles on the boots that were made obvious by the shot of them stopping short to gun down Ki Adi.

It also seems that the waist kilt is longer on the Sith Galactic Marine than it is on the Empire snowie.

The Sith Galactic Marines have shoulder  pauldrons as well.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:32 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
There may be some backpack differences as well.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
The boots have some differences  It seems that the Sith Galactic Marine has a series of straps and buckles on the boots that were made obvious by the shot of them stopping short to gun down Ki Adi.

They weren't obvious enough for you to notice them until I pointed them out.  :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
There may be some backpack differences as well.

You're right it looks much bigger on the Galactic Marine than it does on the snowie.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Thanks, fellas. 

I guess there are enough differences between them that one single sculpt just wouldn't cut it.  That's too bad.

It sure would be nice if there were actual, tangible, physical costumes of the Galactic Marine we could look at, instead of a single CG image and some limited screenshots from the film, but that's a rant for another time and place.

Thanks again.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Here is a side and back view of the Marine.

You can see the boots and his backpack pretty well.

Edit - God damn, if someone posts before you do, it won't keep the attachment.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:44 PM by Angry Ewok »

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
I think on the Snowtrooper/Galactic Marine, they could probably re-use some parts, but need to have some differences too, especially the helmet/boots/backpack.

For the Scout Trooper/Kashyyyk Trooper, I think they should use the VSTC Scout Trooper body with a slightly larger helmet mold for a Kashyyyk Trooper.

:)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Kashyyyk BARC Troopers had more differences than the helmet though as well, so that's another figure I think that an all new sculpt is in order, not just a repaint of the VTSC Biker Scout...  That'll leave the molds of that open to make more Scouts too. ;)  He needs a new Bike as it is for a $10 - $15 figure, so that's where the efforts of the mold need to go IMO.

The Kashyyyk Trooper and Mygeeto Marine definitely are different enough for my tastes that I prefer new sculpts to just sloppily repainting an existing one.

I'm having Gree flashbacks here...  He's got enough differences that Hasbro's half-assing on that figure is still a huge disappointment to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Sentinel

• Jedi Initiate
  • Show No Mercy!
    • View Profile
1.  Helmet has no eye bridge (piece that connects the eyes)
2.  Shin plates are a little different
3.  Backpack is definitely different
4.  GM's have kneepads.
"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

-Betrand Russel

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Do the Marines resemble Zouaves, or am I really crazy?