Author Topic: Roton's Customs - Updated 6/12/06 - 414th Legion Troopers  (Read 7792 times)

Offline PenDragon

• Jedi Initiate
  • POTESTATEM OBSCURI LATERIS NESCIS
    • View Profile
    • the JackPoint
Re: Roton's Customs - Updated 5/24/06 - Commander Krattak
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 11:14 PM »
Your clones are very nice! I love the designs, and the crisp, sharp black paint apps. ;D

Than being said, I gotta say that the soft goods don't work well with your clones here. It works for D_N 'cause he's got a rough & dirty style to begin with.

YOUR stuff looks good because of the nice lines and slick-lookin' armor. The frayed cloth here just detracts, and brings discord to your piece, uhm, er, imho. :-\

I'd almost suggest that you keep up the work on your own style, and expand on it in ways that accentuate & add to the crisp-ness of it, but it IS good to try out new things, to see where experimentation takes you & your style. So keep up the good work, Roton7 !

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Roton's Customs - Updated 5/24/06 - Commander Krattak
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 11:22 PM »
I'm with PenDragon on this one.  I think the sharp lines on Krattak's forces look much better w/o the soft goods.  However, on the black trooper, I think the soft good do work.  You may want to darken it up to keep with the theme.

Good luck with the painted black trooper and paint chipping.  I'm not sure if you've sealed them yet or done anything to protect the joints.  I know there have been some threads here talking about joint chipping - its worth looking for those to protect that slick looking trooper!!

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: Roton's Customs - Updated 6/12/06 - 414th Legion Troopers
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2006, 10:44 AM »
Honestly, I agree with you guys. I really didn't think the first clone looked that good with soft goods. But, as Brent said, I DID think that it worked good with the black trooper. So, I guess I'll be removing the white clone's soft goods today. I'll post pics later!
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Well, Roton, a big thanks goes out to you for the props.

I've got a couple suggestions. The cloth would look really good and alot more natural on the body if:

Pick a fabric that's already the color that you want it to be- painting cloth doesn't especially work too well on accountof the fact that the edges will never fully absorb the color and it takes forever to dry.

On your SpecOps Troop: the black suspenders are a cool idea, but maybe start with a black fabric, cut down the width of the cloth, and glue it under the belt to make a seamless look.

Your 414th grunt looks good too, and the same thing I've posted above goes for the same thing- the brown looks good, but maybe start with a brown fabric itself.

The figures look really good, I like the assymetrical look on the troops. These are just a few suggestions to make the cloth on figs look better.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 12:17 AM by Darth Nirvana »
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2006, 02:11 AM »
They look nice, I like seeing some that aren't very weathered like this.  Great use of the cloth goods too, like a DN custom. 

:)

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2006, 10:51 AM »
Thanks to D_N and Chewie for the comments!

Well, yesterday I completely removed the soft goods off of the 414th Legion Trooper, and I darkened up the soft goods on the Spec. Ops trooper so that the soft goods basically match the color of the figure itself. I'll try to get pics up tonight if possible. :)
Yo is what yo is.