Author Topic: ? for openers  (Read 7468 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: ? for openers
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 03:53 AM »
It depends... 

My TF Vader stays carded because, to me, that item is only interested carded because it is only interesting with value behind it...  Without value, it's a Vader with silver paint all over it...  if I wanted that, which is basically worthless, I'd spray paint one. :)  Carded is all that keeps the piece "interesting" to me, even without wanting to sell it.

For me, a complete silver carded figure set looks interesting...  As dull as it is, the complete set is a kind of weird centerpiece to a loose collection.

If someone's uncommon and I happen to have an EXTRA, I'll keep that extra carded, but let's just say for argument's sake I had two Cody's...  One's gonna get opened irregardless of how "rare" or valuable he was at any given time.  The one I need gets opened, the other sits.

UGH I don't open but then again I don't find them much either...  if I do, I buy them to help out friends who've helped me.  If I found an UGH Cody and didn't own Cody, I'd offer the UGH to someone for a non-UGH one or some other similar swap to help someone out... 

In my collection, the only carded stuff is kept so because it's interesting that way.  A loose Lava Vader is dull...  A carded Lava Vader w/my ticket from the morning and stuff, that's still sort of dull but it's at least got some "value" to it that makes it a little less dull.  Plus it with the other '05 exclusives look good.  Those kinds of things NEED some "friends" on the wall carded to make them look good.  It's why I think everyone wants to find taped VTSC figures, so they can have a set to open but keep the packaging to hang with the purdy VOTC packaging...  Then it looks more interesting.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Kit

• Jedi Initiate
  • "I want more clones and I know I shouldn't."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 05:42 AM »
It depends... 

My TF Vader stays carded because, to me, that item is only interested carded because it is only interesting with value behind it...  Without value, it's a Vader with silver paint all over it...  if I wanted that, which is basically worthless, I'd spray paint one. :)  Carded is all that keeps the piece "interesting" to me, even without wanting to sell it.

I would have to agree.  I have never sold one piece of SW item nor do I ever plan to.  For me, it's not about "how much am I going to get for this someday?"  It's all about having one carded or boxed to admire like fine art, and one or more to open to appreciate the product.

My plan is to give it all to my future children someday.  I hope they learn to appreciate the collection but who knows if they will be into Star Wars.  They might not appreciate it at all so they can keep it or sell it if they wish.

The bottom line for me is "Collect it for the love of it!".

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 11:41 AM »
I feel the same way as many of the others who have already posted here.  It really depends.  For the most part, I open everything.  Every so often, I leave some things carded.  For example, I often try to pick up an extra of each Han that is released to leave carded, as well as some of the Chewies.  There are also some other figures that I've picked up extras of, that are carded right now.  I might end up opening them, but for now they're boxed up for no reason in particular.  I have extras of figures like Cody, Gree, a TPM Anakin, a few of the commtech figures, etc.  I used to have a few more, but just started ripping them open over the past couple years to save on space.  As a general rule, with the exception of keeping an extra Han or Chewie (or in some cases, the VOTC/VTSC figures) - as well as anything "special" or "commemorative", I open them up.  I have a holo Emperor (OTC), holo Yoda (ROTS), and figures like that which are still carded.  But I did open up the original Target clone I found.  I personally don't have the C3 or Silver Vaders, but those are good examples of figures that could be left carded too.

Offline Casus_Fett

• Youngling
  • I'm ridin a horse YAY!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE OF DAILY BORINGNESS
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 08:58 PM »
I dont think I open ;D
heres a llama
theres a llama
funny llama
fuzzy llama
little llama
llama, llama
DUCK!!!!!

hahahahahaha im a jedi with a sense of humor! HA!

visit this site z4.invisionfree.com/b0bafett77

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 12:44 AM »
Thanks guys for the insight into your worlds. How would you do with something a little less rare and value wise like the E1 accessories sets wave 2 (Hyperdrive Repair, Podracer Fuel Station, etc), or any of the other hard to find normal items from the various lines?
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 12:59 AM »
Open them all, let God sort them out.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

:)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 01:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the insight into your worlds. How would you do with something a little less rare and value wise like the E1 accessories sets wave 2 (Hyperdrive Repair, Podracer Fuel Station, etc), or any of the other hard to find normal items from the various lines?
roron corobb

I'd love to open those sets... if I had them!  If you open them and regret it, you can sell them to me.   :)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2006, 12:32 PM »
i
Open them all, let God sort them out.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

I just opened my Eopie and Qui gon set I got from ebay, been selling my customs on ebay to pay for the hobby. Does not matter to me, if I buy that means I need to open it and slap it with the rest of my collection!

Read my side bar qoute.......Open your toys! Words to live by!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/