Author Topic: ? for openers  (Read 7467 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
? for openers
« on: May 21, 2006, 01:59 AM »
How rare does an item have to be before you think twice of opening it? I'm an opener, but I was wondering if others have the problems I have when it comes to rare items and to open or not to open. Would you have a problem opening a Toy Fair Darth Vader? Or those UGH versions, etc? Would price you pay for the item affect you decision? Thanks
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: ? for openers
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 03:18 AM »
Stuff like TF Vader and the UGHs I wouldn't open. I also didn't open the chrome figures that TRU and Hasbro did a couple years back, since they really didn't have any use loose. The UGHs are kind of a neat little thing that really lose their luster loose, so I've kept those carded.

When it comes to the Target premium figures, I buy two. I have two each of the first Clone and Demise of Grievous so I can have it both ways.

Rarity doesn't much matter to me. I opened the Sio Bibble wave even though I knew they were hard to find, just as I did when I got my hands on TC-14, R2-B1, and Commtech R2. I just opened a ML Logan variant a couple weeks ago, even though the series 11 variants haven't been seen much.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 09:02 AM »
I really try to have one of each loose and carded. I have the silver exclusive figures, the target exclusives, the UGH, and many others loose. The Toy Fair vader was an exception. I had two at one point, and really wanted to open one, but they were getting $200.00 each online. I had to choose between a set of gentle giant busts or a loose silver vader figure- I sold vader to get the busts. No regrets so far...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:02 AM »
I kind of go along with what Ben said (in reference to the silver con figures being "useless" when opened).  If it's a figure that is in the films in the form it was released as a figure, it gets opened.  If it's an EU (in terms of source, such as the Clone repaints) figure, it gets opened. 

The only figures I haven't opened in my collection are:
-Celebration III Darth Vader (due to the packaging)
-Lava Reflection Darth Vader (horrible sculpt and more of a novelty)
-Lava Reflection Darth Vader on Mustafar (novelty)
-Lava Reflection Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar (novelty)
-Titanium Series Vintage Finish Boba Fett (novelty)
-Titanium Series Silver Slave I (novelty)
-TSC UGH Scorch (novelty)
-TSC UGH Boba Fett (novelty)

I think that the list above, as you can tell, are based on novelty more than anything else.  What use for a loose Lava Reflection Vader would I possibly have in displays?  The UGH figures are nothing more than regular figures with a fancy stand when you open them, and one opened Titanium Fett is enough. 

That said, you should have seen the looks on people's faces when they've seen Sio Bibble, R2 with Holo Leia, TC-14, R2-B1, etc sitting out loose.  "YOU OPENED THEM?  WHY?"  :P

So, um, long story short:

-Regular figure that was in the films?  OPEN
-Commemorative figure that is superfluous?  CARDED

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 10:23 AM »
I'm an opener. The one and only item I've never opened is my C3 Vader. But I think I won't be opening my GL in stormie disguise figure either.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 10:39 AM »
I always open my stuff, so the more rare something is, the more pleasure I get from tearing it out of the package.

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 12:08 PM »
The only things I havent opened are things I want to keep as is for the most part, I don't plan to play with these things or let my kid have them. Some are just for the novelty of it.
C3 Vader,  C2 Jorg Sacul, ep2 sneak preview Clone, Jango and Zam and ep3 sneak preview Grevious, plus the 500th Vader. Plus two silver chrome figs R2 and clone trooper.
I never got the lava figs vader, anakin or obi-wan due to their lameness factor (imho). But I ever got the GL family collection I'd probably keep it un opened.
but to each their own.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 12:17 PM »
Open them all, let God sort them out.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mitsukara

• Jedi Initiate
  • Casual/Poor Collector and Customizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 02:42 PM »
If it's especially valuable, I think twice- and then I probably trade it off for a couple loose figures I'd rather have :)

I would never, ever consider opening a vintage figure. VOTC and VTSC on the other hand are so getting opened unless it's C3POS.

UGH figures... if it's a figure I really want, I'd open it- like if I found a UGH Fett- unless I could get a better deal via trading. I don't really respect hte UGH campaign that much, it seems like money-grubbing against collectors, plus I wouldn't mind having a silver stand or two in my display.

EU figures, while rare, I'd probably open unless I already have a loose one (I wouldn't be opening a Thrawn at this point) and have no real use for another (Luke might get opened).

Basically, if it's valuable and I don't need it, I won't open it... and if it's in certain categories (Vintage, crazy rare items, etc.) I still wouldn't open it, but every figure I own is currently opened now (though, the most valuable are probably VTSC Han, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Captain Piett- I don't have anything that's really "rare.").

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 05:37 PM »
Perceived value is what it comes down to. Having said that, and since I am an opener on 99.9% of figures, I always ask myself this question: name me one Star Wars figure out of the basic line that would

a) pay for one of my children's entire college
b) allow me to retire
c) allow me to buy one luxury item like a boat, fancy car, etc that you normally couldn't like a Porsche etc.

Bottom line, there isn't, so I really don't worry about it. Since I am an opener, the only way I keep something carded is IF I for some weird reason end up with mutiples, I will open one and keep one carded for future trade bait. When I do that it is on those figures that are hard to find, or that were in great demand.  Bottom line, I open because I like to display my figures. IF I was in this to really collect and make money, I would be collecting on the high end, I would not be buying 3 3/4 inch Hasbro  figures. I would probably be trying to buy movie prompts and items used in the movie. Then again, if I could do that, I probably would have the money to do whatever I wanted anyway.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Dhivael

• Youngling
  • Dark Lord of the Sith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 08:37 PM »
Ive struggled with opening my shocktroopers for a while. Soon. Very Soon.
-Dhivael

SilverZ

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 09:04 PM »
I'm the world's most impatient opener. If I really dig a figure, there have been times I've opened them in the car. I think it's been that way since I was 4.  ;)

Being that way taught me a few lessons over there years. When SOTE first shipped, I found Jedi Luke and promptly ripped him open, even though he had an ugly brown tunic. Oops.

I think I started collecting carded more out of paranoia than anything else in the early days of the modern line, and now I try to hold off opening any figure if I don't have my standard 1 carded/1 opener on-hand, especially if I have suspicions about the figure's future availability. For example I wouldn't have opened Bly or Gree if I had only 1 of them, and knew fully they were the last figures in the year's line.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 09:06 PM »
I always open things in the car. always.

seriously, I do.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 09:57 PM »
I'm a carded/boxed collector and I really only set vehicles free from their prison - I always loved the vehicles more so than the figs (TF fan speaking).  Aside from the Hoth wave that I won from JD - I really had no joy in opening the packaging and setting them free.  It just felt so wrong for some reason.  Though I'm really enjoying Veers & Vader for what it's worth.

I've got pretty much every carded figure and boxed vehicle since 95 and the money I waste on storage every month is starting to really ware on me.

I'm not keeping everything carded and boxed for value (at least I hope not)  I've just always had a thing about boxes and what not since I was a kid - empty Nike/Addias shoe boxes - game system boxes.  I think it ended there with my box obsession until I got back into SW.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 01:27 AM »
I'm leaning towards openng everything now except for exclusives. 

For all the boxes that house my carded collection, it could all be cut in half if they were loose.  Plus I love the fresh smell of plastic.  :p