Author Topic: Gentle Giant Statues  (Read 53859 times)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Statues
« Reply #150 on: July 6, 2007, 09:23 AM »
I don't understand the rationale behind LFL allowing two licensees to pretty much do the same product.  Now what is the difference between this Han Solo statue and the one that Sideshow did a few years back?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #151 on: July 6, 2007, 09:36 AM »
I don't understand the rationale behind LFL allowing two licensees to pretty much do the same product.  Now what is the difference between this Han Solo statue and the one that Sideshow did a few years back?

Actually, including the Attakus statues, that makes at least three "statue" lines out there to collect.

The Sideshow Han was a premium "figure".  Even though the articulation isn't there, the Sideshow premium format "figures" have real cloth clothing parts and accessories, where the GG statues do not.  Not a big difference, but that is why LFL allows it.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 6, 2007, 10:22 AM »
I own the first GG Vader statue and the Sideshow Premium Vader 'figure' as well.  It really boils down to what you want, how big you want it and the type of accessorization you want.  Do you want more realistic textures to your statue?  Go Sideshow.  Do you want just cold cast?  Go GG. 

Honestly, I don't quite see a good reason for it either.  There are differences in scale, to a degree, but beyond that I'm unclear on it. 

I'm opting to get rid of my GG Vader statue because I like the Sideshow version better, largely because it matches up so well with the classic Obi-Wan statue and the cloth + light up features make it more entertaining.  There's nothing wrong with the Vader from Gentle Giant, I just don't feel a need for both. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #153 on: July 6, 2007, 10:27 AM »
Due to price, I chose the GG piece.

Due to focus, I have gotten all pieces of Maul from everyone... (still trying to nail the ATTAKUS).

Whatchuwant... lol.

That's what it is about.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 6, 2007, 04:27 PM »
The timing of the offerings from both Sideshow and Gentle Giant have seemed puzzling at times.  Sideshow puts out their 12" Jabba the Hutt and right around the same time GG announces their Jabba the Hutt and Max Rebo band environments.  I would think that maybe Lucas licensing would be aware of the situation and tell the licensees when they can do a certain item so that two licensees won't be in competition with each other on their offerings.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 11, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Exactly.

Medicom and Sideshow share the same dilema.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 2, 2007, 08:19 PM »
An e-mail from GG for PG members:

Welcome Gentle Giant Club Members members to another exciting exclusive product offering to you!

Gentle Giant Ltd. is making the Senate Guard Statue available for purchase exclusively through GentleGiantLtd.com. Gentle Giant Premier Guild Members will get a special one week advance purchasing window on this item, starting today, November 2nd. On Friday November 9th, we will be opening up the availability of this piece for all members of our Gentle Giant Collector's Club.

Please Read Before Placing Order
* This is NOT a raffle. Quantities available on a first come, first order basis.
* During the Advanced Purchase Window, you must be logged into your Premier Guild Account to access the product page.
* To make these widely available as possible to all Gentle Giant Club Members, there is a limit of one item per person and only one order per person. We will be canceling any duplicate orders.

Senate Guard Statue - Limited Edition Size of 1500 pieces, $165
An elite security force assembled to protect members of the Galactic Senate, the Senate Guard were garbed in outdated yet symbolic blue robes and helmets. The stoic guards stood watch over the massive Senate rotunda on Coruscant, and its members could be found aboard almost all senatorial transports.

Any questions can be directed to Gentle Giant Customer Service - customerservice@gentlegiantstudios.com.

Thanks,
Gentle Giant Ltd.

« Last Edit: November 2, 2007, 08:20 PM by DSJ™ »

Offline DarkKnight2k4

• Jedi Apprentice
  • You underestimate my power...
    • View Profile
    • New Jersey Star Wars Collectors Club
« Reply #157 on: November 5, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Easy pass for me... just not that key....

So where's our PG gift ?

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 3, 2007, 08:56 AM »
TESB Darth Vader is shipping this week! I generally don't collect GG stuff, but this one was a must buy for me. It will look great next to my GG Slave Leia.  :P Since I dropped Hasbro, pieces like this are becoming more and more appealing. Instead of collecting an entire line of plastic action figures, having a few of these is much better for me. They don't take up as much space and they are absolutely beautiful.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 3, 2007, 09:44 PM »
I might pick up this new Vader statue.  I'm going to look for as good of a deal as I can.  I've gotten to the point where if I can find something like this for a good price, I'll consider buying it.  But if the opportunity doesn't present itself, it won't be the end of the world.

Feedback

Offline Chris Wyman

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 4, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Well, I was just told by a realiable source that these were pushed back a few weeks.  :-[ Strange how RS reported just two days ago that they would be shipping out next week.
President - Tampa Star Wars Club
Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
Administrator - Wedge Collection Engine
"Star Wars Is Forever"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #161 on: December 4, 2007, 10:33 PM »
It wasn't just RS, it was Gentle Giant themselves who said it would be shipping this week:

Posted 11/28 (last week):
The Darth Vader ESB Statue just arrived at the docks today, so we should be shipping that out by the end of next week.

Strange that they would push it back after saying that, unless maybe something was wrong with the statues once they started prepping them for shipment...?
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2007, 08:02 PM »
R2-D2 Statue Cancellation/Resolicitation‏

Hello Gentle Giant Collectors,

The R2-D2 statue originally scheduled to ship December 2007, is being canceled and will be resolicited.  At this time, we don’t know what the new ship date will be or if the pricing will remain the same, but as soon as we have new information, we will be posting it on our website and sending out an email.  For those members of our collectors club who have already placed a pre-order through our website and would like to keep your original pre-order, please confirm this AFTER the new information is sent out.

Thanks,
Gentle Giant Ltd.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 13, 2008, 08:34 PM »
Got my kneeling vader statue this morning, man this thing rocks, the light up base looks very cool.
My only gripe is the sucker is very prone to fingerprints, but it is a fantastic statue, does weigh a bit though so watch where you put it.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 13, 2008, 08:43 PM »
I saw the kneeling Vader in person a few days ago.  It's very impressive to look at.  But the shop that was selling it wanted $199 for it.  And I want a better deal on it than that. 

I think the market's getting soft on GG product.  I think the market has gotten somewhat saturated with A LOT of statues from almost as many companies.  I think collectors can only take on so much.  I think the end result is that there might be some more bargains to be found.  And just one example of a Premier Guild exclusive that hasn't sold out has stuck in my mind:  the Senate Guard statue was still available on the Gentle Giant site the last time I checked.  And that was less than a week ago.

Feedback