Author Topic: A new approach to the line  (Read 2788 times)

Offline spec_spidey

• Youngling
  • I have a library card! Does that make me Yoda?
    • View Profile
A new approach to the line
« on: May 26, 2006, 03:06 AM »
Not sure if this has been brought up before, but I got an idea. The idea comes from a quote I read on another forum from Hasbro. The quote was referring to the G.I. Joe Direct to Consumer line. Basically a Hasbro rep was quoted as saying that they can make roughly 6 new head sculpts for the cost of 1 entirely new figure sculpt.

This info, if based on facts, gave me an idea. I would like to see Hasbro use this to make various head sculpts of some of the more popular species within the Star Wars universe. I would love to see Trandoshans, Rodians, Twi'leks, etc. No named characters. No film specific characters. Just a few different variations of the species. Make maybe two or three head variations for a species and put them on a few generic types of bodies with decent articulation. For example, create a few Quarren heads. Put one with appropriate hands on a VOTC Han body and call it a Quarren Smuggler. Take another head with the same hands and put it on a VOTC X-Wing Luke and call it a Quarren pilot. Hasbro has done it to some extent with the ROTS wookies and if I remember correctly they did it with the Klaatuu in the vintage line.

I know I am in the minority on this, but for me these toys are not all about having  figures from the movies whether they appeared for two seconds or fifteen minutes. For me it is the setting itself. Sure I can take several Bossk figures and paint them varying shades, but in the end they are all still Bossk. However if i had a couple Trandoshan head sculpts casted in different hues and attached to various bodies.... then I could finally make my Trandoshan Wookie slave trader squad. ;D

Just my two cents. feel free to comment.

P.S.
When are we gonna get a Bothan figure? :o
The Force is strong in this one,... too bad his action figure sucks.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
Re: A new approach to the line
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35 AM »
I know I am in the minority on this

That's the only part of the entire message i agree with. ::)

Ok, it would be kind of cool, but Hasbro shouldn't focus on characters that practically don't exist (well, actually none of them really exist...but...uh...you know what I mean). And if this happened, IMO we would see pegwarming like we've never seen it before.

Yo is what yo is.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 05:00 PM »
Roton if you are a real customizer you'd love this, multiple sculpts of all specie is a dream come true to customizers.

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:04 PM »
Well I'm not a real customizer, now am I?

;)

But honestly, maybe a customizer might like this, but I don't see things from their point of view. In a collector's point of view, these things wouldn't be too interesting.

But that's just my 2 cents.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:34 PM »
I can see how this wouldn't interest a carded collector.  But even for a loose figure collector, this idea would be pretty cool.  It would add a lot of flexibility for background characters in dioramas and displays.  Very cool idea.  8)

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2006, 03:27 AM »
As both a loose collector and a fan of EU and other things Not In The Movies, I like this idea. It would be a relatively easy, cheap, and painless way to bring us something new and different.

However, I suspect it would completely bomb if sold at retail, so a better bet would be to sell them as "Crowd Builder" multipacks thru the FanClub, EE, as a mailaway, etc.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2006, 03:42 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2006, 06:46 PM »
This idea has a lot of merit. While I may not be interested in the non-movie specific items, I think great things can be done for troop building.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."