Author Topic: Need suggestions on a helmet (update)  (Read 4579 times)

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
  • May the Force be with You
    • View Profile
Need suggestions on a helmet (update)
« on: May 28, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I have this idea I'm working on, but I can't quite nail it down. The project is a Clone pilot for a custom commando drop ship that I would say is like a Colonial Marine Drop Ship in terms of roll. The helmet is the part I need help with. I’m trying to going with a jet fighter pilot look with some Clone trooper mixed in. I also want to add an air mask that would work just how fighter pilots use them. High altitude and dogfights mask on, and low altitude off. The craft is going to be small with a crew of 2 and quarters for about 6 commandos with gear. Here is what I have so far:

Any thought or suggestions would be great. I want to break away from the traditional Clone pilot look for the helmet. I think I have the uniform nail down. Last thing is the helmet. Any colors you have ideas about too would be helpful also. Thank you in advance for your help.
roron corobb
« Last Edit: June 1, 2006, 05:43 AM by roron corobb »
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Need some suggestions on a helmet
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 06:09 PM »
Hmm...well, what's the paint scheme for the Commandos? You would want a color scheme that fits in well with the troops but have something to offset them from the infantry, being that they're pilots.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 08:33 PM »
I haven't picked out a color scheme yet. I was thinking of using Rebel Commando (Scorch) type teams to be deployed from the craft, so their colors would be some what like the game characters. Maybe even some type of paratrooper type teams, using Parjai (ARC Trooper/Clonetrooper) type custom even. It all depends on what I can get in the line of parts for the commandos, but I haven't even started planning for them yet.
roron corobb
I'm one of the most well-regarded Ithorian Jedi Masters, having trained as Yarael Poof's Padawan. Roron Corobb
my feedback link

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 08:52 PM »
that looks like a good start. mabye you could add a flip down visor, like the #33 rots clone commander or some type of bigger goggle for better vision and diplay read outs. mabey even a small flipdown optic for 1 eye, like the colonial marines had in aliens.

on color, well what color is you dropship? it may be cool if your pilots had the same scheme as your drop ship, like it was thier ship. you could even customize the ship to the pilots, like mabey have thier own team insignia on thier ship and thier armor, say thier shoulders or somthing. it would be like thier ship had been through grips of mission and made it back everytime so they are very protective of it. sorry i was rambling there for a minute, but you get the idea.

anyhow hope that is helpful!

can't wait to see more shot of your wip crew!
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 09:27 PM »
jedistyle,
Thanks for that insight. I'll have to explore those options. Thanks

Here is what I had in mind for the armor.

It has the Stormtrooper chest plate photoshopped over the Clonetroopers and the waist of Stormtrooper over the Clones to break up the look from all the other clones. To show what I have planned. You can just see the difference do to the flash. I'll see what I can do if anyone wants a better look. Thanks
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline Fritzkrieg

• Jedi Padawan
  • Don't make me destroy you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 07:14 AM »
Try, using a WWII O2 Mask or a GI joe. Another Idea that might look cool, is putting a crash helmet over the Fire SPeeder Pilot's head. Either way your off to a great start.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Fritzkrieg

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 07:20 AM »
I think the Stormtrooper armor looks good, maybe add the Stormie's leg armor too. This looks like an interesting group.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 03:28 PM »
Try, using a WWII O2 Mask or a GI joe. Another Idea that might look cool, is putting a crash helmet over the Fire SPeeder Pilot's head. Either way your off to a great start.

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Interesting idea with the Firespeeder Pilot helmet. I might have to track one down. I was trying to use mainly parts I had on hand for this project, but the blast shield and some other stuff from that helmet would be cool looking to work with.

I think the Stormtrooper armor looks good, maybe add the Stormie's leg armor too. This looks like an interesting group.

I was thinking of doing something like that like using the right chin armor for both legs do to it had no knee guards. I might still do that. Thanks again for the help guys.

roron corobb
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 03:29 PM by roron corobb »
my feedback link

Offline JediDre

• Jedi Initiate
  • Fine barn it be, but no pool it tis.
    • View Profile
    • The LWWF...we don't care.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 07:44 PM »
I rally dig that first helmet for some reason or another...and as for a paint scheme, I'd go with whatever you end up painting the Gunship.  Make it more team oriented...so to say.

Dre
I find her attractive because she's a clinet and she sleeps above the covers....FOUR FEET above the covers!!

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 08:54 PM »
I rally dig that first helmet for some reason or another...and as for a paint scheme, I'd go with whatever you end up painting the Gunship.  Make it more team oriented...so to say.

Dre

Thanks Dre,
I do agree. The first one I like the best.

I have some reinforcement piece that I cut off a TIE Pilot helmet that I'm going to test fit tonight. I’ll post a picture soon to see what you guys think. Thanks again
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Need suggestions on a helmet (update)
« Reply #10 on: June 1, 2006, 05:55 AM »
Here are some of the new thing I added for what you guys have suggested.

Here is that reinforcement idea I was kicking around with the different masks Fritzkrieg brought up (Star Wars mask, WWII US mask, WWII German mask):

Different masks without reinforcement:

And the last is of the full visor with and without reinforcement section:

Let me know what you guy think about those. I might round the top of the helmet, so the TIE pilot part fits better. Maybe I sould do that even without using that part. Anyway my next is update will be the armor. I'm making some changes that I think will set it apart more from just another Clone armor. Thanks again for the help.
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 1, 2006, 09:57 AM »
i like the far right on both styles. the reinforced helmet looks strange, but i think that because it isn't all painted yet. it is definetley unique and your doing a good job.

if you are going for somthing totaly new and different, then i would go with the reinforced helmet, but if you want somthing that looks moer standard clone style, then the one with out reinforcment. both are very cool. i can't wait to see them done!
=jEdIsTyLe=
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline roron corobb

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 1, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Thanks for the input. All these pictures are cut an paste right now. I'll only in the planning stage. If I decide to use the TIE pilot part, I'll molded it to the helmet, right now it is just set on the top.

Here is the update on the armor:

I remove the shoulder pieces and added the Stormtrooper chins (just the left). Plan is for something along the lines of a Scout trooper's flexibility, but with more protection against flak and stuff like that.
roron corobb
my feedback link

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 1, 2006, 09:36 PM »
looks pretty good! you know what would be awsome, if it's extra armor for protection against flak your looking for, how about putting that head on a scorch torso? it looks bulkier and more heavily armored and it would be really cool if the pilots of your commando teams ship had some type of armor to match the commandos! just an idea.
=jEdIsTyLe=

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 1, 2006, 10:37 PM »
I keep meaning to comment on this thread but I keep managing to miss it.  I think the helmet on the top right looks the best.  Its a nice combination of parts. 

As far as the armor goes, if these guys are pilots, I still think a pilot style jump suit with removable flak protection would be a cool idea.