Author Topic: 30th Anniversary Tin Collector Sets  (Read 59930 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: 30th Anniversary Tin Collector Set
« Reply #150 on: October 6, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Picked these up today at my local Wal-Mart ($28.97 each plus tax):

The price seems kind of steep for 4 figures and a tin, but I guess it's only about $6 for each item and the repacks they picked aren't half bad.  Plus, at least Wal-Mart was $1 cheaper than TRU or Target (which list them at $29.99). 

I've already got a bunch of JD stuff to do tonight, but hopefully I can get them open and get some nice loose comparison pictures tomorrow night...  ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 6, 2006, 07:48 PM »
Reading that they're about 5 dollars more than expected made me finally decide on not getting any of the prequel sets, and I'm on the fence about one of the OT sets or it would be an all-inclusive six set pass for me.  As much as I want another 2 ROTS Anakins to put in the two JSFs from that film, I can't see paying this much for one figure I want and three others I could do without completely.

In the TPM set, R2-R9 is the only interesting one to me, and after looking at the 1999 Royal Starship version, that's good enough for me.

In the AOTC set, the only figure that interests me is the Clone Lieutenant, and the more I thought about it, I already have two SA Clone Lieutenants, so I have no need for a third just because it has a removable helmet.

The ROTS set has a Mace I couldn't give away, a fairly pathetic Yoda figure, an EU repaint of a character you only see on screen in the dark in the first place, and the Evo Anakin.  I think I'd be better off just finding another Evolutions set at this point, or hoping that someone who doesn't want their Anakin will have pity on me and offer a decent deal on just him.

The ANH set is the one I'm on the fence about.  Believe it or not, I could do without the Sandtrooper, and the Leia just doesn't appeal to me.  I already have that Threepio, which is the worst one they've done from the OT.  The Vader I definitely want.  An ANH-style Evolutions Vader with the Hayden scarred head?  That would be enough to get me to buy the whole kit and kaboodle.

The ESB and ROTJ sets bore me to tears.  The Snowtrooper keeps getting mentioned for the Vintage collection in 2007, and I don't see the need to get three figures I already have for one non-film removable helmet character on a soon-to-be-obsolete sculpt.  Same for ROTJ, although the Scout Trooper is at the very least a great figure; I'd rather buy another VTSC version than get a non-film Jango-headed Scout.

So I guess I'm at most 1 for 6 on these, 2 for 7 if you count the Modal Nodes set at WM.  If there has ever been a more blatant (and overpriced) cash-grab attempt by Hasbro, I'd like to know what it was.  Four figures that cost little to nothing to tool or design in a lunchbox for 30 bucks?  I'm surprised it isn't a Target exclusive given their overpriced basic figure exclusives over the past year.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 6, 2006, 09:10 PM »
Your post pretty much sums it up for me, DP. 

I really like the presentation but don't have the room for six seven boxed sets.  As well, I don't feel like investing $180 ($210 if you count the WM exclusive) for packaging and figures I (for the most part) already have.

If I had to pick one set to buy, it'd be the Cantina band only because I only have one member currently.

:-\

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 8, 2006, 07:23 AM »
If you want just the SA Biker Scout with Flip Up Visor head here:

Biker Scout

They are $11,99 plus shipping, but If you just want the one figure and not the $30 tin, this is not a bad way to go.

He had 45 left after I got my "group"...

This is the guy that supplied me with over half of my VTSC Biker Scouts.

He also has this clone:

Blue Clone

Same price. 

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 8, 2006, 10:47 AM »
Hey thanks for the tip Paul.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 8, 2006, 11:27 AM »
Yeah, Thanks Paul. That's very tempting. I might do the Clone, but since the bikerscout comes with a unique rebel, it almost makes the set worth it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: October 8, 2006, 04:36 PM »
So, I finally got a chance to open up my sets and I thought folks would appreciate a run-down of the figures...

TPM:
Darth Maul = Evolutions Maul (straight repack)
Obi-Wan Kenobi = PotJ Obi-Wan (they added a nub for the commlink on his belt, includes TSC sg cloak)
Qui-Gon Jinn = Ep1 Jedi Master Qui-Gon (straight repack w/ TSC sg cloak)
R2-R9 = VOTC R2 repaint (still has the pop-up periscope feature)

AOTC:
Clone Trooper = Evolution Ep2 Clone (blue repaint)
Anakin Skywalker = Evolution Anakin (straight repack)
Jango Fett = Kitbashed (legs/waist = Slave I Pilot Jango, Upper half = Kamino Escape Jango)
   - note: Jango has a huge hole on his forearm where the grappler hook used to be  ::)
Count Dooku = Evolutions Dooku (straight repack)

ROTS:
Mace Windu = ROTS #10 Mace (straight repack)
Yoda = ROTS #03 Yoda (w/VOTC Yoda cloak and cane)
Anakin Skywalker = Evolution Anakin (straight repack w/TSC sg cloak, NOT the Evolutions sg cloak  :()
AR-RT Driver = ROTS #54 AT-RT Driver (white repaint)

note: all of the soft goods cloaks in these first three tin sets are the same soft goods cloak that has been included with the '06 Saga figures (like Anakin, Obi-Wan, etc).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #157 on: October 8, 2006, 06:10 PM »
Sounds like a tin full of turds.  What can be expected, after all it is the age of the 3Rs.
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline Taminar

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Auriette's Website
« Reply #158 on: October 9, 2006, 02:08 AM »
I never go in a dept. store without checking the toys, and I found one of the tin sets for the first time this weekend. The first Wal-mart I went to, in fact, had just one in stock, #3, and I snapped it up. I think it was $27.  I visited two other Wal-marts and didn't see any more. I hope I can get all six, eventually.
When a lottery ticket worth $320 million ends up in the wrong hands, who wins in the end? Watch "Payoff" -- http://members.cox.net/payoff

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 9, 2006, 09:05 AM »
I just found these at Walmart on the way to the office:

I:  On the fence, but passed.  Looks pretty cool, but I've got it all already and didn't really want doubles or triples of these guys.

II:   Bought it.  Liked the blue clone.  Liked the Dooku.  Wanted another EII Evo Anakin.  Don't mind the Jango too much.  Just barely thought this was worth the $26.84

III:  Passed.  No chance I'm paying for this.  Don't need a 40th Yoda figure, the Mace is awful and you gotta be insane with the SA Mace coming out in January.  I had no interest in a white AT-RT driver, but I did want the Anakin, but not for close to $30.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 9, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I headed over to the Ebay guy to see about getting one of the blue Clones from AOTC, and dammit if it isn't Paypal only.  Seeing as he is, by and large, the only figure from the first three sets I actually want that I can't get elsewhere, I really hate not having Paypal at times like this.  I don't suppose anyone could help me out?  ;D

Jeff, that's disappointing that they used the VOTC R2 sculpt for R2-R9.  It's not that it's a bad sculpt, but the R4-G9 mold is, IMO, the better of the two, and why they didn't go that route is beyond me.  :-\

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 9, 2006, 01:49 PM »
I headed over to the Ebay guy to see about getting one of the blue Clones from AOTC, and dammit if it isn't Paypal only.

DP - IMO, you'd be better off buying the entire set at retail being that the one clone figure on ebay will set you back $17 with shipping.  For twelve dollars more you can get three more figures and the awesome lunch box!

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 9, 2006, 05:54 PM »

DP - IMO, you'd be better off buying the entire set at retail being that the one clone figure on ebay will set you back $17 with shipping.  For twelve dollars more you can get three more figures and the awesome lunch box!

Well, the thing that would worry me if I bought the whole set would be that the more I looked at the AOTC lunch box, the more tempted I would be to buy the TPM and ROTS sets just to "complete the set."  So, in actuality, I'd rather pay the 17 or so for the one figure instead of paying 30 for four figures, which would lead to 60 more for two more sets, and then try to offload the figures I didn't want (which would be everyone but the AOTC Clone and ROTS Anakin). 

I will freely admit that I'm engaging in some really questionable logic there, and it could probably be better served by me saying "I'm not buying any of these sets regardless of who is in them", but I never claimed to be perfect.  :)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 9, 2006, 07:52 PM »

I will freely admit that I'm engaging in some really questionable logic there

Sometimes that's what has got to be done to get down on Hasbro's level.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #164 on: October 9, 2006, 09:59 PM »
I proudly admit that I will be buying none of these.  I just can't see buying many that I already have for one or two that I don't.

I will sleep easier tonight.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com