Author Topic: size of tusken raider tribes???  (Read 4113 times)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
size of tusken raider tribes???
« on: May 29, 2006, 04:47 PM »
currently i'm building up my vtsc tusken raiders. i really like this figure and i have always like the sand peopl in the movies. i'd like to get some of your guys opinion though as to how many tusken you think are in a tribe, including females?

in aotc when anakin creeped up on the tusken camp, there looked to be about a half dozen or so tents, i was thinking 4 people per tent so about 24-30 tuskens per tribe.....

what are your thoughts?
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: size of tusken raider tribes???
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Good topic.  I guess I would compare it to native Indians perhaps?  I guess some tribes could be small, around 20-30 members, while others might be up in the hundreds or even thousands.

Considering the arid environment of Tatooine though, I guess that smaller tribes would make more sense.

:)

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 06:59 PM »
EDIT: Nevermind. My Aotc DVD fell behind the shelf where I keep them all. No drill = no dvd. Sorry Mate.  :'(

I'm extremely bored, so i'll pop in my Aotc Dvd and see if I can't screen capture  + count them all up for you. I'll make sure I count babies, mothers, etc, since VTSC Tuskens are Men, I believe. The others have different outfits.  :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 07:42 PM by Word_Weaver »

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 08:54 PM »
chewie - i agree with you on the smaller tribes of mabey 20-30, for that type of enviroment. a huge tribe of hundreds dosn't really fit with tusken theme, being as they are scavengers and raid convys and settlments, they probably wouldn't want to be easy to find, hence the small tribes. just look how hard anakin had to look to find a tusken camp.

word_weaver - cool, i look forward to hearing someone elses look on the tusken camp, thanks.
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline Word_Weaver

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama! (Woah, that's what I was gonna put!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 08:56 PM »
From the Databank:
" They have even gathered numbers large enough to attack the outskirts of smaller towns like Anchorhead. "
This means they have to have at least 25-30 like Chewie guessed. Try laying seige to a town with less.  ;)

Offline EUCustomMan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Custom Figure Site
« Reply #5 on: June 2, 2006, 06:16 PM »
According to the essential guide to alien species "they tend to travel in bands of up to 20 or 30 individuals".

That number of 20-30 includes men, women, & young adults...but not children. Children are cared for by an adult but are not counted as members of the tribe until they pass the ceremonies that make them adults. There is such a high mortality rate with tusken children that they are not named or considered people until they pass into adulthood. That's a summery.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 04:32 PM »
I like to compare the Tusken Raiders to the characters they were all but ripped off from...the Fremen from Dune. Everyone thinks there are only a few hundred out in the desert, but there are actually many, many more.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 04:33 PM by LandotheScoundrel »
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline darthtrooper

• Youngling
  • beep bop boo bop beep boo bop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 08:43 PM »
probably 50-60 you have to think about the people who live there and do everthing.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 08:44 PM by darthtrooper »

Offline Swede

• Youngling
  • Burt Reynolds flew X-Wings?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 04:34 AM »
As others have already said here, I believe Lucas based Tuskens roughly on the Native American tribal aspects.  So I'm sure some tribes are small, while others could be huge.  Maybe what we saw in AOTC was just a small segment of a bigger tribe.  Fun stuff  to think about  :)
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Mobile Artillery

• Youngling
  • We stand ready to serve.
    • View Profile
    • Mobile Artillery
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Yes, and of course, there are always exceptions, and the tribe we see might not necessarily be representative of the average size of all encampments.  They were close enough to nab Anakin's mother near a Moisture Vaporator so their village was probably one of the closer ones to cities.  I imagine more isolated ones could be bigger than the one we see though.  It's one of those cases where you dont' want to judge EVERY one by the ONE that is onscreen.

But if I were making the diorama, I would decide that a good number is maybe 3-5.  I'm a cheap guy. :-\
My vocabulary is... good.

Offline Desfiy

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 11:13 PM »
If it helps I think about 20-30 tusken raiders and females, however I am making a lil diorama of the main 3 seen in A New Hope, just need a Bantha.